TyTN II / Kaiser on Orange - how is it?

Guest Aero

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the first 4 pages of topics and can't see any topics on problems. My brother has an M3100 (TyTN) on Orange which looks great, and so I am thinking of upgrading to the new version.

But, are there any major problems that will irritate the hell out of me or prove to be a pain in common usage?

What sort of upgrade price will I get from Orange? Currently on a 45 or so quid per month contract including "unlimited" (= 30MB) data and insurance.

Cheers!

Hi folks,

I've had a look through the first 4 pages of topics and can't see any topics on problems. My brother has an M3100 (TyTN) on Orange which looks great, and so I am thinking of upgrading to the new version.

But, are there any major problems that will irritate the hell out of me or prove to be a pain in common usage?

Cheers!

Hello

for my part, I've tested the (french) Orange version of TytnII, and gave it back to orange an bought a "real" one..

orange version was delivered

- without Tomtom (orange GPS+ with fees on each navigation or by month instead),

- without Sprite backup,

- without MS mobile Live (althrough that msn works when it want even thru wifi)

- with a nice purple metal case instead of the soft-touch black one in original version...

as for pricing with orange, I can't say..

Hello

for my part, I've tested the (french) Orange version of TytnII, and gave it back to orange an bought a "real" one..

orange version was delivered

- without Tomtom (orange GPS+ with fees on each navigation or by month instead),

- without Sprite backup,

- without MS mobile Live (althrough that msn works when it want even thru wifi)

- with a nice purple metal case instead of the soft-touch black one in original version...

as for pricing with orange, I can't say..

Thanks chap!

Can anybody confirm that this stuff is the same with the UK version? I thought for once Orange hadn't buggered around much with the case? :(

TomTom will work if you buy it won't it? Prefer the idea of a one off payment and no subs personally.

Hi folks,

What sort of upgrade price will I get from Orange? Currently on a 45 or so quid per month contract including "unlimited" (= 30MB) data and insurance.

Cheers!

I am probably leaving ORange in february due to the data bundle. At that level of spend you should get the phone free on an 18 month contract. (the competition - Vodafone and O2 - will do it for free at that level for a new customer - probably will need to go via retentions.

I am probably leaving ORange in february due to the data bundle. At that level of spend you should get the phone free on an 18 month contract. (the competition - Vodafone and O2 - will do it for free at that level for a new customer - probably will need to go via retentions.

The compeition should really = T-Mobile. The best data plans and the most un-messed around with phone.

Guest Restorer

Had mine a couple of weeks now. Absolutley delighted with it.

Very customizable - take off the Orange branding if you don't like (I put back the HTC via HTC Home Customizer and got touchflo cube working nicely) and put on what you do like (coreplayer, tomtom whatever).

The wifi is great and dead easy to set up.

As for price, you should get a free handset on a £45 plan. I paid £199 on £20 with 400 mins.

As crazyc said though Orange's data prices are bad. Tmobile certainly seem to be on the ball with their webnwalk tariffs.

Had mine a couple of weeks now. Absolutley delighted with it.

Very customizable - take off the Orange branding if you don't like (I put back the HTC via HTC Home Customizer and got touchflo cube working nicely) and put on what you do like (coreplayer, tomtom whatever).

The wifi is great and dead easy to set up.

As for price, you should get a free handset on a £45 plan. I paid £199 on £20 with 400 mins.

As crazyc said though Orange's data prices are bad. Tmobile certainly seem to be on the ball with their webnwalk tariffs.

Yeah, I should have qualified my comments with the fact that T mobile have terrible reception where I live and are a non starter. If I had enough reception I would have been with them years ago.

Hi Aero,

I got mine off Orange a couple of weeks ago. The first one that got sent out had a faulty back panel that kept falling off. Orange sent me a new one the next morning.

Am *very* happy with it. True, it doesn't come with Tom Tom and Orange Home is yucky but I installed TT myself and SPB Mobile etc. I've installed all manner of other crap on it - and it's working great!

I also find the aesthetics to be a bit more pleasing. The case is black/hard fabric, not metal. I bought a Crumpler though which is a brilliant fit.

Tariff: Racoon 35, 800 mins anytime, xnet, 100 txts, unlimited land line, free phone @ £30 per month. I added the £8 data bundle on it. 30mb is not ideal but I just need it for email. Total = £38.

Try to get through retentions and have a deal in mind. If they don't give u what you want, call back and speak to someone else. Good luck! :(

Guest dkindred

i got mine through retentions, dolphin plan £30 = £600 mins, unlimited texts and the phone for free :(

I didn't go for any data, but did have a proper chat with 2 of the peeps in retentions and they assure me that they are currently reviewing the data offers, so i'll wait to they come up with something affordable.

Orange care is £6, well worth it if ur as clumsy as me

I have to say the phone itself is fantastic, and once u get rid of the 'orange' home screen u'll love it even more.

Edited by dkindred

i got mine through retentions, dolphin plan £30 = £600 mins, unlimited texts and the phone for free :(

I didn't go for any data, but did have a proper chat with 2 of the peeps in retentions and they assure me that they are currently reviewing the data offers, so i'll wait to they come up with something affordable.

Orange care is £6, well worth it if ur as clumsy as me

I have to say the phone itself is fantastic, and once u get rid of the 'orange' home screen u'll love it even more.

Only problem is that they have been reviewing the data tariffs and promising something competitive for months......

Guest rsrc1147

Hi!

As a complete newbie to pdas and smart phones, would someone mind giving step by step, or telling me where I can find step by step, guidance on how to remove the Orange branding and getting the cube working and the HTC today screen etc. Cos at the moment, I am still using the phone as it came from Orange and am rather disappointed with it.

Thank you!

James

Guest Subliminal Aura

Had to give the orange swines £200 to keep my everyday-50 tarrif along with my £4 a month unlimited wap access which I've now been hammering at around 500meg a month now :(

Can't remember how the orange stuff was as I hated it so I flashed the rom/radio(warning I got a simlock from flashing the radio so beware) within a couple of days of having the Kaiser.

Since then I must say the Kaiser is excellent albeit the camera hardware/software bug. My other peeve is that I think WM6 is a little top heavy so I have disabled the HTC homescreen and just run phone alarm.

Example from this morning's journey into work... Was listening to pocket player via a bluetooth headset and surfing with opera mini and PIE. Decided to play a youtube video and all worked great - Back to the music and somehow pocket player died and would not restart :D So I must remember to shut down pocket player before launching TCPMP.

Enjoy your Kaiser mate.

Edited by Subliminal Aura

Guest jimbouk

You can get rid off the O homescreen, just be deselecting it on items tab of start, settings, today.

You will find an HTC homescreen cab file over in the Kaiser section of xda-developers.

The cube doesn't work properly on the kaiser - it has a different screen to the "TOUCH" - there are workarounds but I havent been very impressed with any of them

Guest bronksy
Hi Aero,

I got mine off Orange a couple of weeks ago. The first one that got sent out had a faulty back panel that kept falling off. Orange sent me a new one the next morning.

Am *very* happy with it. True, it doesn't come with Tom Tom and Orange Home is yucky but I installed TT myself and SPB Mobile etc. I've installed all manner of other crap on it - and it's working great!

I also find the aesthetics to be a bit more pleasing. The case is black/hard fabric, not metal. I bought a Crumpler though which is a brilliant fit.

Tariff: Racoon 35, 800 mins anytime, xnet, 100 txts, unlimited land line, free phone @ £30 per month. I added the £8 data bundle on it. 30mb is not ideal but I just need it for email. Total = £38.

Try to get through retentions and have a deal in mind. If they don't give u what you want, call back and speak to someone else. Good luck! :(

What Crumpler case did you get for it.. I love Crumpler.. they're really good!

Guest teefaf

For the record, I'd thought add my deal. Phoned up retentions, got an 18 month contract, Raccoon 25 for £20/month (225 mins, 100 texts) - TyTN II for free. Was well chuffed. Was also offered 500 mins, 250 texts and 5Mb data for £25/month, but decided I don't use it enough to justify the extra £5/month.

Guest jonhitch

I've had mine only a week but I'm very impressed. Upgraded this with Orange from the M3100 (previously had the Qtek 9100) and I must say this is the best yet. The only negatives I would have are that the keyboard comes out the other side and the actual keys on the unit (to phone etc.) are not as intuitively placed as before - perhaps I just have to get used to it!

As for my deal. I'm on an 18 month Dolphin 35 package. 500 min xnet, unlimited texts + unlimited evening and weekend internet for £40 per month. As my upgrade I received the Kaiser for free, continuation of free home broadband max (wireless) and a free PSP! They had some spare in the shop and I just asked if I could have one - result!

All I want to do now is get Tom Tom - about £75 for the European maps if you shop around and then I'm sorted!

I've had mine only a week but I'm very impressed. Upgraded this with Orange from the M3100 (previously had the Qtek 9100) and I must say this is the best yet. The only negatives I would have are that the keyboard comes out the other side and the actual keys on the unit (to phone etc.) are not as intuitively placed as before - perhaps I just have to get used to it!

As for my deal. I'm on an 18 month Dolphin 35 package. 500 min xnet, unlimited texts + unlimited evening and weekend internet for £40 per month. As my upgrade I received the Kaiser for free, continuation of free home broadband max (wireless) and a free PSP! They had some spare in the shop and I just asked if I could have one - result!

All I want to do now is get Tom Tom - about £75 for the European maps if you shop around and then I'm sorted!

If you load the taster version of tomtom from HTC website, (cant remember where on site) you set up an account with Tomtom and you can download the maps, UK £29 Northern Europe inc UK £39.

Guest psyteq

It's the 'PP55' - in black.. :( . It compliments the phone *perfectly*.