GPS Software

Guest chaznet

Guest chaznet

Just got a bluetooth GPS receiver that works great with the Shadow (Live Search, Google Maps, etc). Are there some recommended GPS software titles for smartphones? Looked at the TomTom website, but that seems to be for the WM Pro, not Smartphones -- any suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Confucious

You don't say which country you are from?

Tom Tom have 2 versions - one for SmartPhones and one for PPCs I believe but I much prefer CoPilot V7 which has one version for both and is most peoples favourite since the vast immprovements over V6.

iGo is another one you could look at but a lot does depend on where you are from!

Guest chaznet

From the states -- found the CoPilot site -- looks like a great product, didn't realize it was so much $$ and couldn't seem to find it discounted anywhere. Thanks!

You don't say which country you are from?

Tom Tom have 2 versions - one for SmartPhones and one for PPCs I believe but I much prefer CoPilot V7 which has one version for both and is most peoples favourite since the vast immprovements over V6.

iGo is another one you could look at but a lot does depend on where you are from!

Guest PilotSmith
Just got a bluetooth GPS receiver that works great with the Shadow (Live Search, Google Maps, etc). Are there some recommended GPS software titles for smartphones? Looked at the TomTom website, but that seems to be for the WM Pro, not Smartphones -- any suggestions? Thanks!

I've used Mapopolis or years on my Pocket PC. I recently downloaded their smartphone version and installed it on my Shadow. Works great. Probably not the most polished program but it is fast and will get you there. It is also free. What you pay for are maps. So if you only travel in a limited area, that may be a cheap way to go as you just buy 1 or two counties. If you need several counties then it can get expensive and probably not worth it as I think other programs for the price may be better. The version I downloaded was version 4.8. It was a pain to find as there are no links at the mapopolis.com home page for the program download. You can get the program from this link:

http://www.mapopolis.com/home.jsp?v=c&...&p=&q=4

Someone said they were out of business. If that is true, I could send you the map you need but my maps are a few years old. If they are still in business you'll need to buy the maps from them to stay legit.

MapopolisSmartphone48.cab

They used to have some demo maps but I have no idea where the link is to that. I tried to post the map program here. Hope I did it right. If is a free program so okay to post it.

Edited by PilotSmith

Guest chaznet

Thanks guys -- from what I found, CoPilot 7 was my best option -- I'll get a lot of use from it well past the life of my Shadow. Looking forward to playing around with it, looks pretty slick :(

Guest chaznet

Thanks for the Garmin link -- looks great, and at half the price of CoPilot Live 7, which I just received yesterday. One big difference between the 2 is justification for shelling out twice the $$ for CoPilot: DRM'd maps. The Garmin product only works via the MicroSD card that ships with the product. I've already moved my existing MicroSD card, and the CoPilot card, over to a new 6gb card and it's running fine (you just have to keep the directory structure intact. Having to change the card every time GPS is needed would make it unuseable for me. I'm luvin playing around with CoPilot -- wow :( Here's a review: CoPilot Live 7 Review

Here's the gist of the DRM stuff, a user review posted at Amazon.com:

When you buy this set of maps, you should be aware of its severe limitations of use. This set comes loaded with the maps on a 2gb micro SD card. The maps are loaded onto a LOCKED micro SD card. The maps CANNOT be moved over to your "normal" SD card. If you attempt to move them, they will not work. There is a one to one correspondance between the maps and the individual numbered card. Moreover, on a practical basis, they use your "hard drive" pocket PC slot EXCLUSIVELY.

For example, if you have an AT&T Tilt pocket PC Phone and you previously bought e.g., a SanDisk 6gb Micro SD card to hold your programs, music, videos, etc. you are out of luck.

YOU CANNOT LOAD THE XT MAPS TO THE 6GB CARD.

The maps are LOCKED into using only the 2gb micro SD card.

So, whenever you want to use the XT maps, you must remove your 6gb (or whatever micro SD card size you normally use for your files, programs, etc.) and insert the XT micro SD card.

The problem is that these micro SD cards are so tiny (the size of a pinky finger nail) that inevitably you will lose or misplace either your XT maps (sorry about the loss of an $85 micro SD card and all your maps) or you normal programs-music-videos-etc. card (sorry about losing your $70 micro SD card and all your music, video, etc.).

Garmin understood that these maps would need to be subject to DRM restrictions but chose to lock them to an individual card rather than an individual user. The result is that the maps require you only to use the Garmin micro SD card AND NONE OTHER.

Moreover, if the micro SD card on which they are loaded gets damaged or corrupted, you are out of luck. Your $85 are gone; go buy another set of maps. YOU CANNOT MAKE A BACKUP SET OF MAPS THAT WILL WORK. THE MAPS ARE LOCKED TO ONLY ONE micro SD card.

My conclusion: this method of using these maps may be useful to some persons who want only to put Garmin maps (AND NOTHING ELSE!) on their pocket PCs.

This is the silliness of the Garmin DRM method.

For most users, Garmin's DRM method is a complete dead end. Imagine if every application file on your PC required a separate hard drive.

Guest Confucious

Interestingly Garmin in the UK is more expensive than CoPilot because you can buy CoPilot for just the UK wheras Garmin covers the whole of Europe - CoPilot for the whole of Europe is more expensive than Garmin.

This is the first I've heard of Garmin Mobile XT so don't know how it's features compare to CoPilot but their DRM does seem to suck!.

CoPilot you can deactivate on one device and reactivate on another when you change devices and you can do this as often as you like (I've been doing it for the past few years on many devices) unlike TomTom which, apparently, is a pain when you change devices.

[Edit] Just found https://discussion.buygpsnow.com/blogs/prod...0_-Part-II.aspx [/Edit]

Edited by Confucious