SPV M3100 - Windows Mobile 6 & Unlocking

Guest southeastblue

Guest southeastblue

Hi people,

I'm awaiting a HTC Hermes mobile in Orange PSV M3100 guise that I bought on ebay, and I'd like to sim unlock it, AND install an official Windows Mobile 6 rom.

Basically I've done what most people have said and visited XDA-developers forum, but nobody seems to give me a proper answer I just get lumped with links. I've done a fair bit of reading and I've downloaded a few files in order to do what i've accomplished, I just need some reassurance on what I plan to do is correct.

Here are the steps I understand, please correct any mistakes so I know the correct procedures...

1. Downloaded activesync 4.5 and install.

2. Downloaded CID & Sim unlock v3a - run the '.bat' file and follow instructions = unlocked phone.

3. Download and install Hard SPL v7 following instructions. (I've checked Mr.Vanx guide on this).

4. Download an official WM6 ROM (I have HTC official, and DOPOD official).... This is where I'm stuck as my files are '.exe' files, and the ones I'd seen for 'cooked' WM6 roms were RUU something or others.

Please help, as I can't stand to have to use an Orange WM5 branded OS! :( Thanks in advance.

Edited by southeastblue

Guest southeastblue

Nobody with a bit of Hermes rom update knowledge in here? :D

If nobody knows how to install an official .exe rom update, then what other 'cooked' rom do you say is pretty decent? I've seen Black Satin and Schaps new 4.30 rom which both look nice... But do they work 100% after flashing? Or do i need to add cab files on or something... This whole things getting quite confusing! :(

Guest StGeorge
Nobody with a bit of Hermes rom update knowledge in here? :D

If nobody knows how to install an official .exe rom update, then what other 'cooked' rom do you say is pretty decent? I've seen Black Satin and Schaps new 4.30 rom which both look nice... But do they work 100% after flashing? Or do i need to add cab files on or something... This whole things getting quite confusing! :(

I had an M3100 which I recently gave to my wife as her iPaq died and she needed something to run TomTom and as a Vodaphone phone so I had to do exactly what you want to do - unlock and install WM6...... okay in truth I didnt need to put WM6 on but in for a penny!!

I am running Vista so my process was slightly more complex as there were additional steps to get WMDC working properly. Assuming you are on XP then you wont need to do this, all I did was:

* Update the bootloader

* Upgrade the radio

* Upgrade the ROM to WM6

You have probably seen this link already but this is the step by step guide I followed, obvisouly it is up to you if you want to go down this route!

Once the install had finished it was as simple (for me) as set up an Active Sync partnership, install TomTom and away you go!

HTH

Ed

Guest southeastblue
I had an M3100 which I recently gave to my wife as her iPaq died and she needed something to run TomTom and as a Vodaphone phone so I had to do exactly what you want to do - unlock and install WM6...... okay in truth I didnt need to put WM6 on but in for a penny!!

I am running Vista so my process was slightly more complex as there were additional steps to get WMDC working properly. Assuming you are on XP then you wont need to do this, all I did was:

* Update the bootloader

* Upgrade the radio

* Upgrade the ROM to WM6

You have probably seen this link already but this is the step by step guide I followed, obvisouly it is up to you if you want to go down this route!

Once the install had finished it was as simple (for me) as set up an Active Sync partnership, install TomTom and away you go!

HTH

Ed

Yeah mate I read through that link already yesterday, was only going to try and load on a cooked 'Black' rom (Satin is the newest I believe Majik is the one before?) if I couldn't get an official one working.

I found a link on another forum about getting an official one working and it seems if I unlock my mobile with the CID SIM unlock, then install bootloader hard spl v7 I just like you would with a cooked rom, I assume I just run the official .exe install file with the phone connected to activesync and it should load my new rom?

Thanks for the input anyway StGeorge, your about the only person on about 3 forums who's attempted to reply without merely posting just a link :(

Edited by southeastblue

Guest StGeorge
I found a link on another forum about getting an official one working and it seems if I unlock my mobile with the CID SIM unlock, then install bootloader hard spl v7 I just like you would with a cooked rom, I assume I just run the official .exe install file with the phone connected to activesync and it should load my new rom?

That does sound like it may work but tbh the extent of my knowledge in these things is that I have done it once! I guess the only issue you may have is that although you will be loading an official ROM and not a cooked one it will not be the correct one for your device and the intallation may check? I am guessing here (as you can probably tell!) but once you have HardSPL on the device you are pretty much free to try what you want without too much fear of bricking it!

Thanks for the input anyway StGeorge, your about the only person on about 3 forums who's attempted to reply without merely posting just a link :(

Happy to be of (some!) help - I went through what you are going through a couple of weeks ago so I know just how much info there is out there - finding the right stuff can be difficult!

Let us know how you get on...

Ed

Guest southeastblue
That does sound like it may work but tbh the extent of my knowledge in these things is that I have done it once! I guess the only issue you may have is that although you will be loading an official ROM and not a cooked one it will not be the correct one for your device and the intallation may check? I am guessing here (as you can probably tell!) but once you have HardSPL on the device you are pretty much free to try what you want without too much fear of bricking it!

Happy to be of (some!) help - I went through what you are going through a couple of weeks ago so I know just how much info there is out there - finding the right stuff can be difficult!

Let us know how you get on...

Ed

The mobile phone I bought I think has arrived today so when I get hold of it I'll have a go and post my results! Thanks again! :(

Guest crazyc

OK - have never installed an official ROM, but have flashed a few cooked ones, so here goes.

The issue that you may have with running the official exe ROM installer is that it may not recognise the Hard SPL that you will have already loaded. No problem.

The cooked ROMs usually come in two parts, the signed.nbh file (which is the ROM) and the custom wrapper that is the exe. What you will need to do is extract the nbh file from the official rom and put it in a directory with the wrapper, and run the wrapper.

Be warned, the shipped file will probably contain more than the os. it will contain radio, os and whatever else.

If you want, you could use Dutty's good nbh tool to extract what you want and repackage.

To get the .nbh file from the shipped rom, open it with winrar rather than running it.

The above is just what I think is correct based on much lurking, so don't take it as gospel. but it should point you in the right direction.

Incidentally, Black Satin was the second latest rom. Black X was the final rom, although never officially removed from final testing before the author departed.

Black Satin worked fine for me, and I am using my own version of that generation of rom (which is now quite old)

Schaps 4.30 rom is probably the latest.

Guest southeastblue
OK - have never installed an official ROM, but have flashed a few cooked ones, so here goes.

The issue that you may have with running the official exe ROM installer is that it may not recognise the Hard SPL that you will have already loaded. No problem.

The cooked ROMs usually come in two parts, the signed.nbh file (which is the ROM) and the custom wrapper that is the exe. What you will need to do is extract the nbh file from the official rom and put it in a directory with the wrapper, and run the wrapper.

Be warned, the shipped file will probably contain more than the os. it will contain radio, os and whatever else.

If you want, you could use Dutty's good nbh tool to extract what you want and repackage.

To get the .nbh file from the shipped rom, open it with winrar rather than running it.

The above is just what I think is correct based on much lurking, so don't take it as gospel. but it should point you in the right direction.

Incidentally, Black Satin was the second latest rom. Black X was the final rom, although never officially removed from final testing before the author departed.

Black Satin worked fine for me, and I am using my own version of that generation of rom (which is now quite old)

Schaps 4.30 rom is probably the latest.

Thanks for the info.

I realised I had a Dopod Official WM6 rom that was in non exe format, I think somebody must have rewrapped it? When i run the rom though it says I need bootloader 1.10 when I have 2.10, so I clicked off it 'cos I didn't wanna break my PDA.

I'm just updating the radio to version 1.47 then I'm installing the new Schaps WM6 rom.

Unlocking my phone was simple enough, and installing bootloader 2.10 SPL v7 so hopefully the rest will go to plan! :(

Guest southeastblue

:( OK... After a little gamble I'm now running the official Dopod Windows Mobile 6 rom with an updated radio, on an unlocked SPV M3100 with my Three UK simcard and all is fine! I'm even using it now to write this message.

Thanks to the 2 people offering their opinions on the matter, you've given me more advice than most.

Very Happy! Now all I need to do is find the youtube web fix, and download some apps/games.

Guest crazyc
:( OK... After a little gamble I'm now running the official Dopod Windows Mobile 6 rom with an updated radio, on an unlocked SPV M3100 with my Three UK simcard and all is fine! I'm even using it now to write this message.

Thanks to the 2 people offering their opinions on the matter, you've given me more advice than most.

Very Happy! Now all I need to do is find the youtube web fix, and download some apps/games.

My must have apps are only really HTC Home, and Phone Alarm. I also use Oxios memory and Dotfred's Task Manager.

I also really like having the battery symbol at the top of the screen show me the percentage as well.

Guest southeastblue

I installed the task manager you suggested, nice to be able to kill some processes that slow your phone down.

Quite happy with it now operating system/software wise, even got Youtube.com working! :(

Guest crazyc
I installed the task manager you suggested, nice to be able to kill some processes that slow your phone down.

Quite happy with it now operating system/software wise, even got Youtube.com working! :(

If you want to avoid soft resetting - I would recommend the Oxios cab - it does help clear the memory a bit.

Now if you would like to add a quick guide re youtube that would be great...

Guest southeastblue
If you want to avoid soft resetting - I would recommend the Oxios cab - it does help clear the memory a bit.

Now if you would like to add a quick guide re youtube that would be great...

Just reloaded Schaps new rom, million times better than the official Dopod one! What one did you say you were running on your Hermes crazyc?

Anyway regarding the Youtube thing...

Basically you need to download and install TCPMP pocket PC attached below, if you have this on your mobile already delete it, soft reset, and then re-install the version attached below.

Then you install the flash video bundle also attached below, and then soft reset your PDA with the stylus.

When you re-start you'll have full Youtube access (not the crappy mobile site) in Explorer (doesn't work with Opera) and the files play full screen with pretty decent sound quality! :(

Any probs let me know!

tcpmp.pocketpc.0.72RC1.cab

FlashVideoBundle_v1_2.CAB

Guest crazyc
Just reloaded Schaps new rom, million times better than the official Dopod one! What one did you say you were running on your Hermes crazyc?

Anyway regarding the Youtube thing...

Basically you need to download and install TCPMP pocket PC attached below, if you have this on your mobile already delete it, soft reset, and then re-install the version attached below.

Then you install the flash video bundle also attached below, and then soft reset your PDA with the stylus.

When you re-start you'll have full Youtube access (not the crappy mobile site) in Explorer (doesn't work with Opera) and the files play full screen with pretty decent sound quality! :(

Any probs let me know!

Thanks for that - worked a treat - as you said, I had to remove my existing hybrid TCPMP version tho.

I am running a custom version of the 3.57 ROM - Based on Pandora's Kitchen 5.5 - so now a bit old, but I have added a few tweaks from elsewhere and I find that base to be excellent. Next I need to add in .net3.5 as I understand this is quite a bit better than 2.0 when cooked in. Then I want to create my own extended Rom Image to combine with the ROM for cab installs. Just have not had any spare time recently.

It works for me, and I have tried most of the Schaps ROMs but find them a bit jumpy in comparison. I really did like Black Satin - if I could have got that with the rgus intact I would have used that as a base.

Guest southeastblue

I haven't tried anything other than the Dopod official and Schaps.... Recently found a few bugs in the Schaps rom. Mainly things like when your typing on the QWERTY keyboard and hold down the blue button to do an apostrophe it took me to the applications menu or something equally odd... Just won't do an apostrophe at all unless I use virtual keyboard and the stylus.

I like the touchflo (I think that's it?) app that's installed, and the whole thing visually is pretty good plus there's quite a few decent apps on there.

Out of curiousity do you know how to use the Hermes as a wifi adapter, as I'd like to set up internet connection sharing between my mobile and my Xbox 360 in a similar way you can with your PC? :(

Guest crazyc
I haven't tried anything other than the Dopod official and Schaps.... Recently found a few bugs in the Schaps rom. Mainly things like when your typing on the QWERTY keyboard and hold down the blue button to do an apostrophe it took me to the applications menu or something equally odd... Just won't do an apostrophe at all unless I use virtual keyboard and the stylus.

I like the touchflo (I think that's it?) app that's installed, and the whole thing visually is pretty good plus there's quite a few decent apps on there.

Out of curiousity do you know how to use the Hermes as a wifi adapter, as I'd like to set up internet connection sharing between my mobile and my Xbox 360 in a similar way you can with your PC? :(

You want to allow Internet Connection Sharing over wifi of your phones 3g connection - yes?

Search on XDA Devs in the general forum under development for Chainfire's wifi router. I have actually had it work on mine - follow the simple instructions. worked first time.

Guest southeastblue

Nah not of my 3G connection...

I mean connect to my home wireless router with my Hermes to gain an internet connection, then forward the cnnection to my Xbox 360 using the USB cable so my Xbox 360 can share the connection and access the internet.

I don't think there's a way to do it, I've looked all over XDA developers site... :(