Touch Dual Annoyances

Guest cerij

Just a starter for 10...great device but a few problems for me...

1. Lack of a hardware OK button

2. Lack of a jog wheel

3. Annoying tendency for it to switch between XT9/abc at random (is this just me?) for example entering a username and password on a web page, the username could be abc but the password field is always XT9...

4. If slide up answers a call, should slide down not end the call?

5. Touch-flo - click videos, the thumbnails are in landscape, click on one, it switches to Windows Media Player (portrait), click Full Screen, switches back to landscape

6. Quick menu - when I slide open the device, 9 times/10 it is to make a call, which is the one option not available on the quick menu (look up contact should be the first option)

7. When reading an e-mail, press the down button on the keypad, it scrolls almost a whole page but not quite, makes it hard to read a long e-mail, why not just scroll a line at a time?

8. Text message notifications, when it pops up on the homescreen, it has the first few lines of the text message, the only options are to dismiss or reply, why not Read?? I can't reply if I haven't read the whole message.

Well these are just my opinions of course, anyone else???

Also, could someone please tell me:

1. Why does it INSIST on typing a "c" when I need an "a" in XT9 mode, and

2. How do you insert a hard return in a Word Mobile or Notes document? (12-key version)

:(

Guest Doctor HRH
Just a starter for 10...great device but a few problems for me...

2. Lack of a jog wheel

3. Annoying tendency for it to switch between XT9/abc at random (is this just me?) for example entering a username and password on a web page, the username could be abc but the password field is always XT9...

5. Touch-flo - click videos, the thumbnails are in landscape, click on one, it switches to Windows Media Player (portrait), click Full Screen, switches back to landscape

6. Quick menu - when I slide open the device, 9 times/10 it is to make a call, which is the one option not available on the quick menu (look up contact should be the first option)

7. When reading an e-mail, press the down button on the keypad, it scrolls almost a whole page but not quite, makes it hard to read a long e-mail, why not just scroll a line at a time?

8. Text message notifications, when it pops up on the homescreen, it has the first few lines of the text message, the only options are to dismiss or reply, why not Read?? I can't reply if I haven't read the whole message.

Well these are just my opinions of course, anyone else???

Boy, where do I start....!!!!????

1. Ridiculously unfathomable input methods

2. Inability to charge and listen to music on headphones at the same time

3. No WIFI - not fair really cos we all knew that already before getting the handset

4. No built-in GPRS monitor - again not that fair cos all WinMo devices are the same and don't have one (bizarrely) - but definitely a huge annoyance

5. Not possible to view photos saved on the memory card using the very funky TouchFLO feature - they have to be in the camera or internal My Pictures folder.

6. Not possible to customize the TouchFLO cube (that only has 3 sides :( )

7. Battery indicator disappears as soon as you leave the home screen

No doubt others that will come to light in due course (if indeed I decide to get a replacement after I send this faulty one back)

I may of course be wrong and some of these may be down to to old-fashioned user muppetry on my part. So please let me know if I'm talking cobblers!

Cheers,

Harv

P.S This device has plenty of positives though - let's not get carried away too much slagging it off!!! :D

Guest Paul (MVP)
Also, could someone please tell me:

1. Why does it INSIST on typing a "c" when I need an "a" in XT9 mode, and

2. How do you insert a hard return in a Word Mobile or Notes document? (12-key version)

:(

1. ANNOYING! I really hope we can fix it!

2. Press the 'action' key?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
1. Ridiculously unfathomable input methods

3. No WIFI - not fair really cos we all knew that already before getting the handset

4. No built-in GPRS monitor - again not that fair cos all WinMo devices are the same and don't have one (bizarrely) - but definitely a huge annoyance

5. Not possible to view photos saved on the memory card using the very funky TouchFLO feature - they have to be in the camera or internal My Pictures folder.

6. Not possible to customize the TouchFLO cube (that only has 3 sides :( )

7. Battery indicator disappears as soon as you leave the home screen

1. Bit extreme, it's not THAT bad!

2. You need an adaptor for this, but that's true of basically every current HTC device.

3. Agreed, a shame!

4. Only an annoyance if you're not on flat rate, but a valid point :D

5. How do you mean? Saved in non standard folders you mean? I take pics to memory card and can view those? For anything else I use Resco Photo Viewer.

6. Third party apps can do this!

7. I use Batti to get round this problem!

All IMHO, YMMV etc. :-D

P

Guest ashley
Nope - only way is to use the soft keypad - action key exits the document!

In emails, the action key gives you a "return"

in word and others it saves and closes the document

Guest Disco Stu

You need a Bluetooth headset (eg. the Motorola S9 aka Rokr) for that :(

Guest StGeorge

I am getting used to it - actually I think I am growing to like it! Having said that - there are definately some issues!

I have assigned the camera button to okay / cancel and added the launch camera to the HTC quick launcer thing - it seems to work okay and the camera button is fairly easy to use in its new role!

2. Lack of a jog wheel

Boy do I miss this!

But, all in all - i think I might just keep it!

e

Guest vince06
In emails, the action key gives you a "return"

in word and others it saves and closes the document

i can confirm this to be true. if anyone knows a way to change this so that the action key also gives a "return" in word docs and in notes, please post your solution. thanks!

Guest pbarclay

I am very impressed by my Touch Dual - I can't believe that something so compact does so much so well. Once its honeymoon period has worn off, I am sure I will be a little bit more objective.

My one annoyance at the moment is the Phone screen. When I phone my friend Keith's Blackberry, my picture pops up large as life to easily identify me, my name and my number. When he rings me, his picture is a measly 7 x 9 mm, with an enormous black 19 x 41 mm rectangle underneath! It wouldn't too much reorganisation to make better use of this space.

Do any of the third party add-ins improve on this? I am using Pocket Informant 2008 for my Contacts which features a 9 x 11 mm thumbnail (more like a little fingernail if you ask me!). I know there is that thing in the Touch Cube but that is limited to a small number of people and I have hundred of Contacts.

Guest vince06
6. Third party apps can do this!

P

Paul - quick q on #6: what 3rd party apps can customize the touch flow cube?

thanks!

Edited by vince06

Guest chucky.egg

How can lack of WiFi, OK button or Jog Wheel be an annoyance?

It's not like it says on "WiFi and Jog Wheel" on the box.

We're (probably) about to trial these for adoption as a standard handset.

How can lack of WiFi, OK button or Jog Wheel be an annoyance?

It's not like it says on "WiFi and Jog Wheel" on the box.

We're (probably) about to trial these for adoption as a standard handset.

They are annoying. Well, they annoyed me and that's all that counts.

Guest StGeorge
They are annoying. Well, they annoyed me and that's all that counts.

I think it is a fair point about the lack of wifi being an unfair complaint - as I think we all knew this when we bought the device :D . That said, a jog wheel on the opposite side to the volume controls would make an absolute world of difference..... infact for me I think this is the main hardware omission - I would rather have that than wifi (or at least I would have when I was on unlimited data!)

Definately decided to keep mine, I love the form factor and while it is definately flawed in some areas (someone MUST be able to fix the a/c issue!) I dont see this as any more or less than any other phone I have had..... only had to turn it off/ on again once in the last couple of weeks .... I may go back to my treo for a bit of nostalgia every now and then (and I am too tight to buy a new brodit car holder at the moment although the touch would fit brilliantly if the mini usb was on the bottom :) ) but I picked up my M3100 the other day (the wife is now using it) and I can safely say she can keep it!

E

Guest StGeorge

Actually, what would be really great would be if closing the slider ended the current call - opening it answers the call afterall. This seems like such an obvious ommission perfect for a third party tweak :) any takers?!

Ed

Actually, what would be really great would be if closing the slider ended the current call - opening it answers the call afterall. This seems like such an obvious ommission perfect for a third party tweak :) any takers?!

Ed

Agreed, as I said earlier...

Guest greenturtle

Was just about to post that software.

It's fantastic. Completely utilizes the slider to its full capability. I dislike that it locks the keys regardless if you are on the homepage.

I hope the Smartskey programmers utilize the volume controls as a scroller like they did for the Wizard. Actually I'm going to try this now and see if it works!

• 2 weeks later...

I have done it, check out my SlideActions application for customizing HTC dual touchs behaviour.