Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dutchphoto
This app has absolutely no effect on GPS performance (in my Tilt).

It isn't meant to improve GPS performance!

QGPS is. It loads the empheris data, so you get a quicker fix!

• 1 month later...
Guest davejim
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :rolleyes:

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

Anyone know what the omnia schi910 setting should be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Guest davejim
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :rolleyes:

P

Anyone know what the omnia schi910 setting should be?

Thanks for any help you can give.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sukhchain
Hey Paul,

Have recently bought a Q9h (atleast thats what is displayed on the box). I am trying to configure my GPS, but with no success. Have installed eveything thats suggested on this forum (GPSID, GPS Test, trackr!, googlemaps, etc). Even Windows Live is not able to get a GPS signal.

I am doubting if my phone does have a GPS chip in it at all. When I open the registry to set the LSAService setting, the key is not present at all. The model name that gets displayed in the registry editor is "MotoQ Norman". Is it different from all the models you guys are having. How do I find out if there is a GPS chip in it in the first place?

Sarat

India

hi am also frm india iv also same gps problem.i thnk moto q9h has no gps chip

Guest mkmcgee
gpsidsp.png

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :)

P

I can't get it to work. I'm new at this stuff. Where do I save this CAB file? What do I do with it once it's saved?

Guest dutchphoto
I can't get it to work. I'm new at this stuff. Where do I save this CAB file? What do I do with it once it's saved?

Copy it to you device, main memory or Storage card. Then click on it. Follow the instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest the_trooper
Lots of people reporting this problem where it use to work and now nothing... well me too! :( I had GPSActivation loaded and most things worked until I installed GPSID which "broke" it.

This helped me to fix it on my BJ2. I thought there was nothing to lose since I was prepared to do a hard reset to get it back. I changed a registry key so if you are comfortable doing that kind of thing here you go; use a registry editor and go to Key name:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\SamsungGPSHardware

modify the Value name "Interface Type" value data from COMM to PHONE

I rebooted after making the change just to be safe although I wasn't sure if I needed to or not. Well after waiting for the longest 60 seconds of my life GPSTest, Google Maps, MS Live Search all started working again. Remember to change all the options on your apps back to the way it was before you loaded the GPSID.... this GPSID thingy puts a whole new meaning for "killer app" huh? B) I hope it helps somebody else from not having to hard reset. Good luck!

But I need some other help now;

CoPilot Live v7 software refuses to recognize the GPS hardware. That is why I loaded the GPSID in the first place. I previously had tried the MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4 app and it didn't fix it.

THANK YOU!

You really saved my life! I didn't need to reboot my BJII after changing the registry key. Garmin XT Mobile could detect the GPS flawlessly and so did Route 66. Thank you very much!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mikerc83

On my Q9h I moved the files over to my documents, however they are listed as 3 separate files. When I click on any of the I get the message"please run the program and then open the files" how do I get the program to run. Seems like I've tried everything, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest RichG.NY

Found a post that said the Verizon Omnia i910 settings are:

Com8

None

but it's not working with Live Search. Anybody found settings that work on the Omnia?

Thanks...

Guest RichG.NY
Found a post that said the Verizon Omnia i910 settings are:

Com8

None

but it's not working with Live Search. Anybody found settings that work on the Omnia?

Thanks...

ok... I've now tried every COM & every GPD setting & tried changing

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\SamsungGPSHardware

modify the Value name "Interface Type" value data from COMM to PHONE

Looks like my i910 (Verizon) doesn't have a "SamsungGPSHardware" section so I tried changing:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneDevice Interface Type instead... no luck

&

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOneEmulate Interface Type from File to Phone... no luck

Anybody had any luck with Verizon's Omnia?

I'm beginning to wonder if they just pulled the GPS chipset out :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest jumpman138

so i tried this out on my Q9H...set it to these:

program port: COM3(when i tried com1 it just scanned for bluetooth devices)

hardware port: NONE

baud rate: 38400(also tried 9600 didn't work)

manage automatically: CHECKED

set my garmin mobile xt to "use gps intermediate driver" and i still can't get it to work...it scans "attached devices" then scans bluetooth. i'm new to these kinds of stuff...anyone can help?

thanks

Guest Ruth Balleweg

Hi Paul,

I am using a Samsung Omnia SCH i910 running WM 6.1.

I installed your software successfully but I can't run it because I can't find it.

It doesn't appear in the list of programs or anywhere in Resco Explorer.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance,

Lou Balleweg

• 5 months later...

I a newbie to all this so can someone give me a hand. I have an Unlocked Moto Q9H and i've got the program sudgested and set my settings shown via the screenshot and still i have no GPS signal. HELP PLEASE. BTW the gps program im using is google maps.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest t_galownia

does the gps go thgout cellular or is it a "service" on its own? do you get charged usage rates or????? I have HTC Tilt 1.

is there a way to get other things via registry or other to run via mi fi BT or ?>>> instead of cellular so as not to used the data???

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.