WebIS release Pocket Informant 8 for Pocket PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is just coming in as breaking news, and it is not yet on WebIS' own site!

WebIS have released - or should I say they are in the process of releasing - major upgrade to their wildly popular Pocket Informant suite, 'Pocket Informant 8'.

The release can only be found here at Handango at the moment, which handily has a feature list online too, which i've included below!

Pocket Informant is The Next Generation in Personal Daily Management.

Pocket Informant 8 brings a new level of ease of use to your mobile device. Version 8 introduces a new Roles based user-interface that lets you scale the user-interface and feature to your needs offering you just the power you want. A fully one handed interface lets you use Pocket Informant without ever touching the stylus - or if you prefer finger control Pocket Informant brings finger touch scrolling, a touch ABC bar in Contacts, and new finger friendly time pickers.

Users can delight in the new Journal View and Events Views letting you see both your history and upcoming events. Contact links within your appointment or tasks' subject and notes let you quickly access a

named contact without having to resort to links or a search.

These are just a taste of the new features that Pocket Informant 8 provides that separates it from any other PIM on the market. This just builds on top of the already easy and powerful features that have made Pocket Informant the winner of the best PIM for the last few years including this past year with Windows Mobile Magazine.

Top Features

Sample of why you need Pocket Informant

• pda2.png Included Today Plugin

Now includes a basic efficient appointment/task list Today plugin that integrates with Pocket Informant and supports category colors

• PI.png Seven Powerful Views

Events, Journal, Appointments, Tasks, Notes, Contacts, and Search views. Appointment view broken into Agenda, Day, Week, Month, and Timeline Views (you can hide unused views)

• star_blue.png Category Icons

Each category can have its own icon (company logos, avatars, or objects) to help you visualize your appointments, tasks, or contacts visually. Show them in your Month View for a great visualization of your schedule!

• colors.png Category Color

Assign categories to your items and have their text or background colored. View Month bars and timebars throughout the Appointment views showing your schedule in color!

• alarmclock.png Automatic Custom Views and Categories

Setup them up to automatically come on at work hours, off work hours, or a custom weekend/weekday time

• id_card_view.png Find all Appointments using this Contact

List all appointments that have the selected appointment setup for meetings

• notebook.png Weekly Planning

with Daily Notes, Goals, Mission, Compass/Roles

• franklincovey.png Franklin Covey PlanPlus 5.0

Daily, Master, and Project Task lists which work either with or without PlanPlus for Outlook 5.0 on the desktop

• dot-chart.png Task Projects

Tasks View's Projects let you create parent tasks, child tasks, and have the parent tasks inherit its child tasks' completion percentage and due dates

• tabtasks32.png Task Percentage/Status

Assign tasks a status of Normal/Complete/In Process (w/percent complete)/Delegate lets you visualize progress of tasks

• hand_point.png Complete One Handed Soft Key support

Perfect for Treo and other Pocket PC smartphones!

• journal.png Full Journal with Rich Text

Create entries for meetings, phone calls, and more. Auto-journal events such as marking tasks complete or creation. Sync to desktop Outlook with Journal Sync (a separate product)

• user1_information.png Powerful Contacts Summary

Contacts Summary with Call Logs and Direct Dial(Phone Edition devices only) bringing one handed dialing, better readability, and live access via Preview Windows

• alarmclock.png Multiple Alarms, Travel Appointments

Beyond the primary alarm, you can now add secondary alarms, notifications and travel appointments to new and existing appointments

• earth_time.png Timezones

Create new appointments in their timezone easily

• customviews.png Custom Views

Save your common settings for any view and bring it back with a tap of a menu or hardware key. Save a search, a filter, ANYTHING.

• messages.png MyText with Contact Macros

Quickly enter preset text with data pulled live from an existing contact or the current time/date.

• find.png Search View

Search View brings together every bit of PIM information on your device: Appointments, Tasks, Contacts, Notes, Journals. Search with wildcards, on a specific field, with certain dates, and within PIM item
    notes

• text_rich_colored.png Rich Text

Enter Rich Text notes for all PIM types

• activesync.png ActiveSync

Works directly with ActiveSync and Exchange Server ActiveSync.

• DesignedForWindows.png Designed for Windows Mobile

Certified for Windows Mobile 5.0/6 and 2003/SE Pocket PC

The application comes in at $29.95, with a free trial and previous-version upgrades available.

We'll have more news on this as it comes in :(

P

I love the program, but $30 is just too much for an application.

I've just paid the upgrade (with Handango discount) which came to about $16. Unfortunately the installer falls over every time and I can't find a CAB file to get it onto my device. Is anybody else having the same problem or is it just me?

Guest dudegalea
I've just paid the upgrade (with Handango discount) which came to about $16. Unfortunately the installer falls over every time and I can't find a CAB file to get it onto my device. Is anybody else having the same problem or is it just me?

The Handango version is broken.

Alex has just put up a fixed version which seems to work fine.

http://download.pocketinformant.com/8/Pock...t_Pro_Setup.exe

EDIT: Here's the WebIS thread with a full discussion of the problems and their resolution.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/inde...1944&st=135

Edited by dudegalea

The Handango version is broken.

Alex has just put up a fixed version which seems to work fine.

http://download.pocketinformant.com/8/Pock...t_Pro_Setup.exe

EDIT: Here's the WebIS thread with a full discussion of the problems and their resolution.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forums/inde...1944&st=135

Thanks for the link. Installed and looking good :(

What about the smartphone version, does the partnership with papyrus still exist or will there be a new pi for smartphone use !!

EDIT:

I allready have the smartphone version installed.

Edited by REem

Guest timeline

Put the trial in, for PPC2003 it's much WORSE for ease of use than v2007. Some parts are better sure, but eg I can't even make an appt w/o an alarm now. And selecting appt date/time is much clunkier. Those combo boxes just waste my time when the old one gave me the picker in 1 click vs 2.5 now.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

How annoying ... I purchased this application on 29th December 2007 without noticing the freebie offer on this site. Since it is a major update, I still have to pay for the upgrade. Terrible timing eh!

Guest linkbox8
How annoying ... I purchased this application on 29th December 2007 without noticing the freebie offer on this site. Since it is a major update, I still have to pay for the upgrade. Terrible timing eh!

Actually you get the upgrade for free if you purchased recently (within the last 3 months, I think).

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Actually you get the upgrade for free if you purchased recently (within the last 3 months, I think).

Well I looked on handango site and it said I have to pay for upgrade. I plugged in my email and order number.

So I emailed saying ... "I could just return the software, as Im within 30 days of purchase, and then get new version"

Thus they are contacting pocket informant to find out if I get a better deal ;-)

Guest Disco Stu
I got Pocket Informant 2007 via Modaco Fair Deal on 4th Jan 2008 - how do I upgrade to the latest version? I can't find anything on their website.

Presumably you put your email address in the box provided like what I did.

My copy came from the Handango promotion. The app is registered to email address rather than phone user name I think

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.