Remote Desktop

Guest Transform

Guest Transform

Looking on the main news page, I found LogMeIn and set it up which works great! Then I found an app called WM6 Remote Desktop which also works great over LAN, but doesn't transfer files I've been told, which is a bit annoying. I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way for me to access my desktop using WM6 Remote Desktop without a LAN. ie. somehow set it up to connect over the web?

2) Is there any other simular software available which does allow for file transfers?

Guest Transform

I found a cab file for it on this forum and gave it a go. It works over WLAN but there are a few problems with. Is there anyone that has this program that could help me out?

Woah there!! more info needed

I found a cab file for it on this forum and gave it a go.

for which program?

It works over WLAN but there are a few problems with.

What problems?

Is there anyone that has this program that could help me out?

Again, what program are you reffering to, Logmein or Remote Desktop?

Guest Transform

I was talking about the WM6 Remote Desktop App. I did a forum search and found a cab file on here for it. I was just trying to find someone on here that has used it before to ask a few questions about it.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Looking on the main news page, I found LogMeIn and set it up which works great! Then I found an app called WM6 Remote Desktop which also works great over LAN, but doesn't transfer files I've been told, which is a bit annoying. I have 2 questions:

1) Is there a way for me to access my desktop using WM6 Remote Desktop without a LAN. ie. somehow set it up to connect over the web?

2) Is there any other simular software available which does allow for file transfers?

The Remote Desktop tool should work fine over both internet and LAN/WAN. I used the desktop version to support servers, desktops and laptops. All you really need is a hostname to connect to.

So if you have a PC at home connected to the internet ... use a service like DynDNS.org to give it an internet facing hostname. like myhomepc.dyndns.org

Also make sure you have port 3389 poked in your firewall.

Then using your pocket PC connect to "myhomepc.dyndns.org" ... should work fine. If I get chance later I shall test and confirm.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
could you explain what i need to do im a bit confused. will this method let me access my pc where ever i am?

Ok ....

www.DynDNS.org ... if you register with the service, and load the agent onto the PC you require to access 24x7. DynDNS advertises your home PC's internet IP address with an easy to remember name rather than IP address. This is espeically good if you are on a broadband provider where your IP address is dynamic and can change at any time.

Thus: IP address 123.123.123.123 could be joebloggs.dyndns.org

Next you need to ensure that if you have a firewall on your PC or router, that it is set to allow port 3389 through it. This is the port which Remote Desktop uses.

Then all you need to do, is fire up Remote Desktop on your Pocket PC, and then connect to joebloggs.dyndns.org ... and put in the username and password which you wish to use.

Should work fine ... any problems, explain where you are stuck and I shall try to assist.

Guest Transform

I have made an account, downloaded the software and tried to set it up but i get a red tick which keeps saying 'Update result: error can update'.

What should I do?

Guest FlexiPack

I had no idea about LogMeIn, it's great. Works like a treat.

It's bit of a bummer about no file transfer in the free version so i was thinking as a work around im going try one of the online storage companies. www.diino.co.uk for example offers 2Gb of free online back up storage.

Place a shortcut on the host PC's desktop and would be easy enough to upload a file to your choosen online back up place and then access that file on your PDA/Laptop etc.

I haven't used diino before so i can't vouch for it but it's the only one I've heard of. I'm gonna go set up an account and see how it works out.

I was looking around at this recently, if you Google free online Storage there are loads of websites where you can backup up to 2G of files, all totally free :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinAlbrecht

I would love to get this working, although my days of configuring router ports and firewalls are behind me. I have a broadband router with presumably a hard firewall, along with McAffee software firewall. I followed some of the tips at the beginning of this thread, but am hitting a wall. ANyone have this successfully working with both a hardware and software firewall?

- Kevin

Guest KevinAlbrecht
i got it working but did not have the software firewall, but i dont think that part is that hard to get around

Do you mind explaining what you did? I think the firewall is exactly what is the hard part???

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Transform,

I cant find the step by step PM that I sent you. Do you still have it? Could you post that? Then I can maybe tidy it up and Paul can stick it in a how-to section somewhere!