Windows Live displaying '30 day trial' prompts?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ToneBank
Only 3 days?! That sucks :( Did you try my workaround here: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=869119

I know it's not very usefull if you wanna connect via gprs but it works fine with wifi for me...

Yes, it didn´t work :D Says that I have to buy a 30-day subscribtion for 20 Swedish kronor, I wont pay that fee I´m already on Hotmail Plus subscribtion that should be enough for them (Microsoft).

Edited by ToneBank

Guest bamsemodaco

I got the message a couple of weeks ago but didn't pay much attention.

Is there anyone using a non HTC WM6 device (like Eten or HP) getting this? Could it be HTC bundling a crap version of WLM in their WM6 ROMs?

Guest KevinAlbrecht
i am using a ultimate 8150 and the message is there :(

How many American/European users have this? I have not read any Americans, yet have I?

Guest smitty007
How many American/European users have this? I have not read any Americans, yet have I?

There have been several already, including me :(

I talked with several other co-workers who have wm phones of varying types, most on tmobile but a few on ATT like me and no one has seen the message yet.

Guest jeffmckean
MS' silence is deafening...?

P

Hi folks, Jeff from Microsoft here (any Mobians on the thread will know me from Amsterdam and a few other events) – first of all, sorry for taking so long to get back to you; we needed to do some investigation as Windows Mobile users were not supposed to get that message.

Here’s what happened: This week we rolled out a direct-to-consumer billing service for the Windows Live client on Nokia S60 in the UK and Sweden. Although we are considering doing the same at a future time for Windows Mobile, this has not been implemented – however, something happened and many of you saw a trial message on Windows Mobile devices. Windows Mobile customers shouldn’t have received any notifications of a 30-day trial and we are working as quickly as possible to correct this.

As you may know, we offer Messenger services through mobile operators on lots of handsets, not just Windows Mobile. Traditionally, customers have been billed by their mobile operators for many of these services, either directly or through their data package.

Guest Thumper Net

i have no problems here in holland with windows live or msn ( wm5 ) symbian also is working ok on my nokia 6210c , now everyone knows why orange uk probably left it off their roms :(

Guest S710demon
Hi folks, Jeff from Microsoft here (any Mobians on the thread will know me from Amsterdam and a few other events) – first of all, sorry for taking so long to get back to you; we needed to do some investigation as Windows Mobile users were not supposed to get that message.

Here’s what happened: This week we rolled out a direct-to-consumer billing service for the Windows Live client on Nokia S60 in the UK and Sweden. Although we are considering doing the same at a future time for Windows Mobile, this has not been implemented – however, something happened and many of you saw a trial message on Windows Mobile devices. Windows Mobile customers shouldn’t have received any notifications of a 30-day trial and we are working as quickly as possible to correct this.

As you may know, we offer Messenger services through mobile operators on lots of handsets, not just Windows Mobile. Traditionally, customers have been billed by their mobile operators for many of these services, either directly or through their data package.

I find it a bit distressing that you are planning on billing us in the future for these services. There is a reason why we purchase WM phones and not Symbian. Messenger is a major reason for a lot of users. For me there are more but you might lose customers this way. Especially with free alternatives out there.

Just my two cents.

Guest Syphon Filter
I find it a bit distressing that you are planning on billing us in the future for these services. There is a reason why we purchase WM phones and not Symbian. Messenger is a major reason for a lot of users. For me there are more but you might lose customers this way. Especially with free alternatives out there.

Just my two cents.

I absolutely agree. MS might seriously want to reconsider this.

Guest deadphill

Rather worrying. Surely the response from the good people on these boards would suggest that we would be unwilling to pay for messenger when already incurs a data charge. I mean whats the next step, will they be charging for use of messenger on a pc?

Of course if they need people to look for alternative instant messaging services then they will surely have their wish!

Phill

Guest bamsemodaco

Just my two cents.

I'll happily add my two cents to yours.

I am actually considering moving to a different messaging platform already just to show how much I dislike the idea of software as a service.

Guest owziee
This week we rolled out a direct-to-consumer billing service for the Windows Live client on Nokia S60 in the UK and Sweden.

Strange since I've had this message for over a month on my HTC S710 with the built-in Live messenger, and now my 30-day trial have ended! The only way for me to use it is to restart and log-in via wifi only. I'm VERY disappointed, one of the main reasons I sold my Nokia N73 and bought a WM6 device was the ability to use Live messenger for free...

Maybe what's going on now is just a mistake but if microsoft are planning to charge for this service in the future on wm devices aswell I can't find many personal reasons to stay with wm in the future either, I'm getting more and more tempted to go back to symbian atm :(

Edited by owziee

Guest jimbouk

So as surmised, it was supposed to only be aimed at Symbian Live Messenger Users - which makes sense as they haven't paid any licence fee to MS for the software? I am guessing the manufacturer/networks get a free "unlicenced" version to bundle with the handset - and the consumer gets to pay MS for it - whereas WM users wont (YET IF AT ALL).

So someone really did make a snafu sending that out to all mobile live users...

This is why ultimately Windows Mobile will fail. Your competitors are rolling out richer services for free and you decide to charge users who in a lot of cases have paid for an unlocked phone which can run into hundreds of pounds or dollars. Microsoft seems to have this fondness for kicking its user base in the nuts, this time the competition is good enough that people will abandon your platform without a second thought. The 2nd gen iphone, Nokia's improved offerings and Google's android platform - it will be interesting to see how fast MS loses market share to these platforms and then watch them scramble to fix their errors.

I have used and supported MS products for a while especially Windows Mobile but I can see that coming swiftly to an end. Microsoft truly is becoming a company that is overcome with greed.

Guest dolbe666

So it seams I was right then. I had a feeling it was a mistake and was meant for symbian phones using the windows live messenger service. Ive been beta testing windows live mail well over a year for microsoft. ive attended ms tech events and heard nothing about charging on any official sense for WM. thats why I thought it had to be a mistake, its not the first time MS have made mistakes, look what happened a few months back with the vista activation blunder.

I thought MS were scraping the whole "Windows Live Mobile" thing. I am using a Touch Dual here on Orange (12 key) and don't even have the app installed. When I started looking for a download link I found myself at a loss.

Have MS decided against pre-loading on new handsets or is this Orange's handy work?

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Still seems a bit tight to single out symbian users and only charge them. Methinks they are just the guinea pigs and we'll all be being charged once Micro$oft sort out the billing structure. Seems a 'softly softly' approach on their part - sort of a 'slip it under the doormat' of s60 users then roll to windows mobile, and when winmo users kick off, point to the fact that it's been chargeable on symbian for x months so they're just making it 'fair' on all platforms...

pah!

M.S

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.