Windows Live displaying '30 day trial' prompts?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Confucious
According to a swedish cellphone site microsoft sweden at least have just confirmed not only Nokia S60 users but also windows mobile users will be charged aswell.... It also sound like some 3rd party clients may be blocked from the live servers :(

Swedish people can read the article here: http://www.mobil.se/ArticlePages/200801/11...orer973.dbp.asp

Very concerning if true!

Any comment jeffmckean?

Guest Syphon Filter

I don't know about you guys...but I'm having trouble seeing what exactly will windows mobile have left to offer if this does come true?

I rarely use the bundled office applications, maybe excel on occassion to do some on the move bank balance checking. I suppose 3rd party apps like Pauls CamerAware, CoPilot 7 (which can be had on Symbian anyway) etc.

I'm struggling to think of reasons ot stick with WinMo to be honest though. As much as we can rag on the iPhone, it's a pretty good device. Then looking ahead...Android might actually turn out to be something special once the devices start coming forth. I dunno MS, you might seriously want to consider this before making a decision.

Guest Monolithix

The iPhone is great until you want to do one of these new fangled things like send an MMS :(

As for Android, i'll be watching its development with great interest :D

I can see what Syphon Filter's saying, but for me I still like the way WM is so open and customisable, and the amount of apps out there for you to install to add features and tweaks is staggering! (and a lot of them free to boot)

Messenger isn't that important to me to make it a deciding factor in what platform I choose for a phone, although perhaps I would reconsider if this started a trend that spread to other MS Software...

Guest Syphon Filter

Look, don't get me wrong. WinMo is great, if a little rough around the edges.

But, if MS decide to start charging for things like the IM client, then what next? A subscription to use the bundled office applications? Windows media player? Then an extra sub to use PIE and POL? I don't know it just seems bit lame to me. MSN Messenger is great. It ties in with my hotmail, my xbox live account live search etc.

What is Microsofts justification for charging at all? To help pay for development costs? I don't quite understand. It's been free for god knows how long (since the first SPV days at least right?) so why start charging now? The way I see it, it's just a cash in. Also, the fact that its a monthly charge irks me even more. So now it's being considered a service? I can understand (but don't agree with) charging non-WinMo users. But even then, it should only be a one off charge for the software not a monthly "service" charge. For WinMo users...man this should be free, we've already paid for the OS by buying a device (ESPECIALLY those of us who buy offline and unlocked devices). I love WinMo and one of the killer features for me was as stated above, the wya it's so open and customisable...second to that was definitely the inclusion of messenger etc...i dunno...I'm ranting and probably not even making sense anymore.

In short: Please don;t make us pay...or risk seeing the backs of a lot of users.

Just my $0.02

Guest Monolithix

Don't worry Syphon i think you share the feeling of most WLM Mobile users. Charging for WLM on WinMo wouldn't work while services such as Yahoo, Google Chat, AIM etc remain free, so i'd be surprised if it sticks...

Guest Thumper Net

on my nokia i finally got the trial message BUT using the windows mobile version on the nokia it still works without the 30 day trial ( i have installed a few windows mobile apps and games on my phone its possible and another subject :( ) But microsoft are getting tight fisted with windows mobile users so no suprise if they charge in the future outlook used to to free on the cd now its a trial

Edited by Thumper Net

Guest shootydogthing

I've had that e-mail :) saying that I'm supposed to forward to 10 people and supposedly I won't have to pay :D

Edited by shootydogthing

Guest Thumper Net
Red Five Labs has released their implementation of the .NET Compact Framework 1.0 for Nokia S60 smartphones. Their .NET Compact Framework implementation brings .NET technology to the Symbian platform.

It enables mobile applications targeting Microsoft's .NET Compact Framework 1.0 to run unchanged on Symbian OS (the operating system running the smartphones of, amongst others, Nokia and Sony Ericsson).

This is a very cool development that holds out some real promise for attracting developers

its a beta application that runs some not all of windows mobile software bit like the java app we have on the ppc and smartphones to run java games this enables windows mobile apps and games to run on a symbian phone :)

Edited by Thumper Net

Guest Thumper Net

One interesting point over the symbian version is it seems to go over which network you have ie vodafone here in holland have sent an sms to say that it is only free if you have the internet package from them ( same as wnw on t-mobile ) the symbian version seems to detect the sim that is placed in the phone , people have reported on other forums a simple change of the sim card to another network removes the 30 day trial .

i have tryed the beta and it does work well but slow on some things the latest version does seem to speed things up , but it also goes on what phone you have the processor speed is important mine is a sad 192 mhz , still it is fun to play between the systems , only the windows mobile phone is easier to hard reset the symbian is a pain in the ass to hard reset , took an evening to finally catch it ( you have to type in a a *# and a code before the phone has booted up ) :) on that windows mobile is far better :D

Edited by Thumper Net

Guest Thumper Net

One final thing on the trial is on the symbian the message is different on mine it had there may in the future be a charge for the service and that the user will be notified by the network provider my version is 1.1.8161 :) vodafone in holland do have their own messenger application which when opened contains windows live and soon yahoo messenger, it seems more an operator problem than phone problem as t-mobile here also offer a version simular to vodafone , looks like the operators have a big control on who gets it working for free and who has to pay in the future :D

Well this is utterly retarded.

If MS are going to start charging for MSN on the mobile phone im either going to get me another device or use an alternative messaging product on both Windows and my mobile phone.

This is completely stupid and will be a VERY bad move for MS.

I am even thinking about looking at an Iphone....heaven forbid!

Guest Syphon Filter
Well this is utterly retarded.

If MS are going to start charging for MSN on the mobile phone im either going to get me another device or use an alternative messaging product on both Windows and my mobile phone.

This is completely stupid and will be a VERY bad move for MS.

I am even thinking about looking at an Iphone....heaven forbid!

blasphemous

Guest msiviter

I give up, until MS sort it out I'll just use Skype. Although Skype is limited to wifi or 3g (I'm OK)!

Is it still only Skype 2.1 that works on Trinity?

Why does Skype keep logging me out on my Niki?

Does anyone know how much data the Skype 'heartbeat' uses per min/ hour?

Matt

Does anyone have a freeware IM client that supports Live and/ or Skype?

Guest Confucious
I give up, until MS sort it out I'll just use Skype.

What do you mean 'until MS sort it out '? It was an error and it's sorted.

By all means use Skype if you want too but there's nothing wring with using Live messenger.

• 5 months later...
Guest Confucious

Well, that'll teach me to go over to the dark side.

After using Live messenger for 30 days it came up with a message saying that I would be charged if I wanted to continue using it.

I clicked on 'continue' thinking it would inform me of how much I would be charged and it just let me continue using it - I got charged on my phone bill (I think £1.50). So not only do they charge you they don't even tell you how much.

I've stopped using it on Symbian and posts in Symbian forums just get replies saying no one uses it and anti-MS rants. With behaviour like this you can see why!

MS seem to have shot themselves in the foot with this one. No one on Symbian uses it and it's just made anti MS sentiment worse.

Oh well, there's always Palringo :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.