MDA (HTC) Touch & Tomtom

Guest porthypog

Guest porthypog

I've just got a MDA Touch (HTC Touch) and on my old SPV M500 I ran Tomtom Nav 5 with a wireless GPS. Can I run it on the new Touch? How do I transfer it on? It came on an SDA card and the new phone takes a micro card. You can tell I'm a bit of a novice at this so any help would be appreciated. The MDA Touch does not feature on the Tomtom compatible list. PS is it a phone or a PDA?

Firstly, the basics.

The Touch is a Pocket PC, or PDA if you like, and TomTom runs fine on it

You should be able to simply copy all the files from your old phone to the new one, using a card reader or ActiveSync, duplicate the file structure exactly, and don't forget there are a couple of folders in the main memory.

To be safe make sure you're hidden files are shown so you don't miss anything. It will take a while, especially copying the maps over as they are pretty large.

When you're done copying the files over you'll need to create a shortcut to the Navigator exe in your Start Menu

Pair your GPS unit and you should be all set :(

Guest Neil5459

..and don't forget that the TomTom maps will need reactivating on the new device. If you have only used one previous activation, and you still have the product codes for the mas, you can go to www.ttcode.com to manually obtain a new activation code.

If you have used both allowed activations, or you no longer have the product codes, you will need to contact TomTom support who may or may not help you depending on who answers the request :(

Guest porthypog

Thanks for your help. You make it sound so easy. I'll try my best to do it or I'll ask my son to help. I'll let you know if I'm still stuck or if I'm lost in traffic.

Firstly, the basics.

The Touch is a Pocket PC, or PDA if you like, and TomTom runs fine on it

You should be able to simply copy all the files from your old phone to the new one, using a card reader or ActiveSync, duplicate the file structure exactly, and don't forget there are a couple of folders in the main memory.

To be safe make sure you're hidden files are shown so you don't miss anything. It will take a while, especially copying the maps over as they are pretty large.

When you're done copying the files over you'll need to create a shortcut to the Navigator exe in your Start Menu

Pair your GPS unit and you should be all set :(

Guest porthypog

Thanks Neil too. I know you're right about the activation codes as I had to fax info from Orange (to prove the phone was a replacement to tomtom) when I was on my 3rd M500 replacement, which also crashed, hence I 'm trying the Touch. The support is not great on TT but if I get as far as getting the thing on my Touch I'll have to give them the copy purchase receipt.

..and don't forget that the TomTom maps will need reactivating on the new device. If you have only used one previous activation, and you still have the product codes for the mas, you can go to www.ttcode.com to manually obtain a new activation code.

If you have used both allowed activations, or you no longer have the product codes, you will need to contact TomTom support who may or may not help you depending on who answers the request :(

Guest Neil5459
Thanks Neil too. I know you're right about the activation codes as I had to fax info from Orange (to prove the phone was a replacement to tomtom) when I was on my 3rd M500 replacement, which also crashed, hence I 'm trying the Touch. The support is not great on TT but if I get as far as getting the thing on my Touch I'll have to give them the copy purchase receipt.

I think you are highly unlikely to obtain another actiation code, even with a genuine purchase of a new device :(

Mind you, you'd probably be better to buy an up to date version- UK and IE Map is currently only £29.99 online.

Guest petec500

Can i just clarify here as i'm planning on getting TomTom Navigator soon?

Can you really copy the TomTom SD card onto another card? Someone else told me this wasn't possible and you had to go for the software (i.e. on CD/DVD) to install it on your existing SD card.