T-Mobile HSPDA

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hi Folks,

I got my T-Mobile MDA Vario III (TyTN II) in December. I signed up to the Web N Walk Plus plan.

Does this mean that I will automatically be signed up for HSDPA? I noticed on this forum (admittedly back in 2006) that some users were having to ask for HSPDA to be enabled.

Cheers

Guest deadphill
W'n'W Plus has HSDPA - Enjoy!

I phoned up a while ago to ask them to enable HSDPA and was told that they do this automatically now for normal web and walk customers.

I get and use the H when using 3g so can only assume that this is true. Im sure someone will say differently now but im happy with my ignorant bliss!!

Phill

Guest Confucious

@deadphill - when dd you sign up for W'n'W standard? Before October 17th?

Unless they've changed again those regestering for W'n'W Standard after 17/10/07 can't get HSDPA

Guest jayz1220
Is this available on Payg aswell?

I don't think it is as the Tmobile PAYG sim I use in my data card never connects at any rate above 3G (384k i think) in my TyTn II.

I have seen many Tmobile Mobile broadband sims around which claim they do, but the £1 per day/£2.50 5 days tariff does not apply.

ebay link

Hope this helps!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Amusingly I called T-Mobile to check HSDPA was enabled as the speedtest I did didn't show an appropriate speed indicating HSDPA. The guy I spoke to at T-Mobile said "Sorry it's only available on wnw Plus or Max". After I pointed out that I had wnw Plus he was most helpful and informed me that I did have it enabled.

I get the "H" flickering on sometimes, but rarely have it permanently illuminated. Therefore I assume being in rural Shropshire that I am not getting a strong enough 3G signal. Someone correct me on this if I am wrong.

Guest Confucious

I'm not sure if it depends on the ROM but mine shows 3G EXCEPT when actually transferring data then it changes to H but as soon as it has stopped transferring it reverts back to 3G.

Guest Shadowfixeruk
@deadphill - when dd you sign up for W'n'W standard? Before October 17th?

Unless they've changed again those regestering for W'n'W Standard after 17/10/07 can't get HSDPA

Just spoke to T-Mobile; it seems that i can't get HSDPA enabled on my priceplan - which is Flext 35 & WnW.... Seems that they are "unable" to add HSDPA to these plans... I started my contract around the end of October 07... what a PITA!

SF

Guest jayz1220
Just spoke to T-Mobile; it seems that i can't get HSDPA enabled on my priceplan - which is Flext 35 & WnW.... Seems that they are "unable" to add HSDPA to these plans... I started my contract around the end of October 07... what a PITA!

SF

I sent Tmobile customer services an email the other day about HSDPA and WnW. Here was there reply:

=====================================================================

Thanks for your email jayz1220, telling me that you're thinking of moving to T-Mobile and asking me if you would get HSDPA access with the £7.50 web 'n' walk bundle and also asking me if you would get Wifi access.

I'm happy to hear that you're thinking of joining T-Mobile. I understand your concern about HSDPA and Wifi access. I'm glad that you've sent me an email about this.

I'm pleased to tell you that you will receive HSDPA access with £7.50 web 'n' walk bundle. And you'll definitely get Wifi access.

You can sign up at the T-Mobile website for a pay monthly account that provides unlimited access to T-Mobile Hotspots in the UK.

You can use Mobile broadband speeds in any area which has 3G coverage T-Mobile currently support HSDPA speeds of up to 1.8 Mbps.

Access to HSDPA speeds is currently free on T-Mobile, however, you'll be charged based on the amount of data transferred (subject to Price plan and allowance). You must also have an HSDPA compatible phone to use the service.

I've checked 3G coverage in your area and I'm glad to tell you that the coverage is very good.

The T-Mobile HotSpot service is a public Wireless LAN (or WLAN) service that allows you to access the internet from public locations.

To use this service, you need a WiFI (802.11b) compatible laptop/PDA and a Hotspot voucher or subscription. Vouchers are purchased by Credit Card at the time of logging into the web at the Hotspot location, or can be purchased by SMS if you've a T-Mobile phone.

For more information on web 'n' walk, please click here.

Thanks again for your email jayz1220. I'm sure you'll find this information useful.

For any further queries, please feel free to reply to this email. I'll be happy to help you.

Kind regards

Sxxxxxxxa Mxxxn [PM me if you want the name]

Customer Services Email Team

T-Mobile

=================================================

So what do you guys think? Is that tmobile stating that there should be HSDPA access on new £7.50 WnW subscribers?

Regards

Jay

Edited by jayz1220

Guest Confucious

That's what they said Jay! You have it in writing so go for it - either it's a mistake or they've changed policy again! Either way, they have to give it to you now.

Good luck.

Guest agent.m
That's what they said Jay! You have it in writing so go for it - either it's a mistake or they've changed policy again! Either way, they have to give it to you now.

Good luck.

i've just had it added to my mad vario 2

although i aint seen the Big H on my screen yet :)

Guest jayz1220
i've just had it added to my mad vario 2

although i aint seen the Big H on my screen yet :)

Hey,

If you call them and they say you should have WnW Plus, PM me with your email address and i'll send over the message I received from them. Might be of some use!

Applies to anyone that wants it.

Regards,

Edited by jayz1220

• 2 months later...
Guest FrankyG

Hi,

I've just spoken to T-mobile retentions dept to negotiate a better deal for myself. My contract has already expired. I'm currently on Flext 25 WnW, HSDPA enabled. I had already bought a sim free HTC TyTN II, so don't want or need a new phone.

After about 45 mins on the phone, I had agreed to Flext 20 , 6 months FREE internet access with 10,000 mins Eve and Wknd Calls. After 6 months I have to add a WnW package. Now, before the new tariff was applied, I asked the CSR to check that HSDPA would be enabled on the new contract. She couldn't find it on her list, so spoke to technical. She came back with the news;

HSDPA is not available on Flext 20. Minimum tariff is Flext 25, and HSDPA is added automatically. Bummer.

So I bumped it up to Flext 25 to get HSDPA. To be honest, it feel like I'm paying an EXTRA fiver to get decent internet speeds. I've got 7 days cooling off..in which time I'm going to be seriously looking at the 3 network.

Has anyone succeeded in getting HSDPA on Flext 20?

FrankyG

Guest Alsicole
Hi,

I've just spoken to T-mobile retentions dept to negotiate a better deal for myself. My contract has already expired. I'm currently on Flext 25 WnW, HSDPA enabled. I had already bought a sim free HTC TyTN II, so don't want or need a new phone.

After about 45 mins on the phone, I had agreed to Flext 20 , 6 months FREE internet access with 10,000 mins Eve and Wknd Calls. After 6 months I have to add a WnW package. Now, before the new tariff was applied, I asked the CSR to check that HSDPA would be enabled on the new contract. She couldn't find it on her list, so spoke to technical. She came back with the news;

HSDPA is not available on Flext 20. Minimum tariff is Flext 25, and HSDPA is added automatically. Bummer.

So I bumped it up to Flext 25 to get HSDPA. To be honest, it feel like I'm paying an EXTRA fiver to get decent internet speeds. I've got 7 days cooling off..in which time I'm going to be seriously looking at the 3 network.

Has anyone succeeded in getting HSDPA on Flext 20?

FrankyG

When I renewed last year there was no Flext20+Web & Walk Plus bundle, but the guy who did my renewal made Flext20 my tarriff and then added W&W Plus as an add-on. That was the only way their system would do it. There is still some debate (above) as to whether you need W&W Plus to get HSDPA or whether it's just available to all W&W customers. I wanted W&W Plus anyway because I use my phone as a modem for my Macbook.

Hope this helps!

Guest rireed
When I renewed last year there was no Flext20+Web & Walk Plus bundle, but the guy who did my renewal made Flext20 my tarriff and then added W&W Plus as an add-on. That was the only way their system would do it. There is still some debate (above) as to whether you need W&W Plus to get HSDPA or whether it's just available to all W&W customers. I wanted W&W Plus anyway because I use my phone as a modem for my Macbook.

Hope this helps!

To add to the confusion, I just got a third-party T-Mobile bundle with HSDPA and that turned into a nightmare, just today resolved. See this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Pocket-PC-Ge...t-really-exist/

In short, HSDPA is a separate feature on their systems. The way the tech agents see it, it is available to be added on some plans and not on others. My bundle was from eXpansys when I bought my ASUS P750 (see the link to the bundle description in the thread above ), called "Smartphone Connect from/by T-Mobile". They have sold it for a number of PDA phones since November. Not sure of the future of this plan. I now often can't navigate to this bundle description page for ASUS P750.

The T-Mobile techs see this bundle as "PDA Email Plan 12" (12 months). HSDPA was available, but no one knew how to turn it on! The people who set up my account didn't 'enable' it. A tech 'enabled' it on Thursday, but it didn't work. Just this morning, the third tech 'activated' the 'enabled' HSDPA feature and 'pushed it through'. Then it worked. It's a free feature, if it's available on your account to be enabled and activated and pushed through.

In the whole sad process since Thursday, one of the techs discovered that if he added Web'n' Walk Plus, HSDPA worked, I didn't want to pay an extra £12.50 pm, so he took it off again. It appears that some of the packages they sell automatically do the three-stage process on HSDPA. Web 'n' Walk Plus is for using the phone as a modem from your laptop at up to 7.2 Mbps, a real broadband feature. You even get a free 'stick USB modem' if you buy the standalone version (no phone calls, just 7.2M broadband, £15 pm, 24 mo). Again, as an add-on feature to calling, this is £12.50 pm.

If you have a Flext + Web 'n' Walk plan, you ought to have 1.8 Mbps. They may not have made the feature automatic for that plan (I'm new to T-Mo, so I don't know). If it doesn't work, don't talk to CS. Ask to speak to tech support about a technical detail. I nearly got into a fight with CS about "You can't get HSDPA without Web 'n' Walk!". Ask the tech if the HSDPA feature is available on your account. Make sure you get him/her to 'enable' and 'activate' it manually if it's there..

I don't think a third of the tech staff know about feature details that aren't automatically configured with some of the plans. This is one of them.

Richard

--------------------

quick edit -- Vodafone may be catching up here. It's very simple: you get a calling plan and pay £7.50 pm for the Mobile Internet Pack. Normally upt to 1.8 M, now 7.2 M in some post codes. The speeds are on the coverage page and nowhere else. Don't know how good coverage actually is. Went to T-Mo because they are known for data coverage.

Edited by rireed

Guest Confucious
quick edit -- Vodafone may be catching up here. It's very simple: you get a calling plan and pay £7.50 pm for the Mobile Internet Pack. Normally upt to 1.8 M, now 7.2 M in some post codes. The speeds are on the coverage page and nowhere else. Don't know how good coverage actually is. Went to T-Mo because they are known for data coverage.

Vodafone is limited to 120Mb / month - as i regularly use 4-500 Mb per month it really isn't an option.

T-Mob are still by far the best or data and their plans are quite simple.

Guest humph12345

You won't get 7.2M on T-mobile, I am working on the network at the moment and the network isn't enabled at that rate, even if it was, I only know of a handfull of sites in London, that would be able to give anywhere near 7.2M.

As for Vodafone, they have done almost nothing on their network since launching 3G Broadband and they are rapidly dropping behind T-mobile.

From my inside knowledge, this is how I would rate the networks.

T-Mobile

Vodafone

Orange

Three

O2

The last 3 have done very little in their networks and are only just looking at starting to upgrade, far too late in my opinion.

Guest Confucious

That's interesting Humph - You obviously know your technical stuff very well and have been very helpful. With regards to your ratings - do you have a vested interest? By that I am not in any way suggesting you stand to gain, but do you work for any of the networks? You obviously know the industry and know what you are talking about.

Guest humph12345
That's interesting Humph - You obviously know your technical stuff very well and have been very helpful. With regards to your ratings - do you have a vested interest? By that I am not in any way suggesting you stand to gain, but do you work for any of the networks? You obviously know the industry and know what you are talking about.

I have no vested interest, I have done the HSDPA upgrade on Vodafones network, I am working upgrding T-Mobile at the moment and no doubt will work on the others.

My grading is just from what I see of the networks on the ground.

Guest Confucious

Thanks for the reply - I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to make sure.

As a user I am very impressed with T-Mobile (I have a great deal with them) - nice to know that my experience is borne out by those that know!

• 1 month later...
Guest c0nd0r54

Hi can i just say what i know of T-mobile?!?

When trying to use for example the HSDPA on the handset,

You get 1.8mbps, It does not go any higher I'm afraid at the moment.

Regardless of what price plan you are on, ok??!

Its the data plan you have to have enabled so you can use HSDPA.

These plans as youse well know are standard,plus and max.

ONLY on plus and max will this HSDPA work with your handset, because on using that data plan,

What T-mobile do, is enable a feature called a SOC, this SOC as i mentioned you can only get on the 12.50 and above :D