PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,254 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Asus have officially unveiled their M930 Smartphone / Communicator style hybrid.

Not expect to ship until March at the earliest (after it's official unveiling at CEBIT), the M930 features:

- Windows Mobile 6 Standard
- TI TI2431 processor at 450MHz
- 3G + HSDPA
- QVGA 2" Screen (external) + 2.6" WQVGA screen (internal) - 400x240
- Internal QWERTY, external 12 key keypad
- 256MB ROM
- 64MB RAM
- WiFi / Bluetooth 2.0
- 2.0 Megapixel Autofocus Camera
- microSD expansion
- 158g
- 113mm x 54mm x 18.7mm

Not bad specs i'm sure you'll agree, and a very innovative form factor that provides an interesting alternative to the more commong sliding keyboard (a-la-HTC Vox). I think the device looks quite nice, and could offer the best of both worlds. It of course shares a lot of it's specs and design with the Nokia E90.

What do you think of the M930?

P

[Source and pics courtesy of our friends at Mobinaute (en Francais)]

Posted Image Posted Image

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
screen looks TINY!

-Nick

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
oh....dint notice initially it was internal/external screens.

-Nick

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
Yeah but still, a decent external screen would have been nice. It'll be interesting to see what Smartphone looks like on a widescreen display though!

I still exist

RiCoCheT

RiCoCheT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Devices:XDA ATMOS
XDA Graphite with a keyboard...

Found more pics on the qwerty Click here!

Edited by RiCoCheT, 16 January 2008 - 07:37 PM.

spacerace

spacerace

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Devices:iphone
  • Twitter:@robgordon
I was so about to love this device until i saw the additional photos of the inside... the form factor of the Nokia 9300 has been my favorite for a long time and I would love a WM equivalent, but the inside screen is about the same as the outside not full width, which just doesn't make any sense... :)

xorangefirex

xorangefirex

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Devices:TyTn II
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of the screen on the outside with the 12 key format that opens to a larger screen with a full qwerty keyboard, but they are all so mediocre (save the E90) and similar. This is a phone that we have all seen over and over again, even though it will be one of the first with WM 6 it still doesn't really live up the standards created by other phones with a slightly different style.

Tired of waiting for the Tilt, Kaiser, P4550, 8925, Vario III, TyTn II.

Tao Yue

Tao Yue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I was so about to love this device until i saw the additional photos of the inside... the form factor of the Nokia 9300 has been my favorite for a long time and I would love a WM equivalent, but the inside screen is about the same as the outside not full width, which just doesn't make any sense... :)

Windows Mobile 6 does not support the widescreen aspect ratio.    See http://blogs.msdn.co...-revisited.aspx for list of supported resolutions.  Asus cannot put in a full-width widescreen display without OS support.  The ironic thing about all this is that Windows CE had half-height VGA (640x240) ten years ago.

There have been cases where changes in the OS have been driven by hardware (e.g. screen rotation in WM5 came out of the HTC reference device).  But Asus probably was unwilling to wait for the OS.

NRGZ28

NRGZ28

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Devices:HTC & Omnia 2
  • Twitter:@nrgz28

Yeah but still, a decent external screen would have been nice. It'll be interesting to see what Smartphone looks like on a widescreen display though!

Look at the HTC S620! LOL

EnergyROM Chef

If you like my work and want to leave me a tip with Paypal > USD / EUR
:)

Posted Image

Monolithix

Monolithix

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,783 posts
I meant *wide* wide-screen :) And we've seen it in the pic's linked above, it looks silly! Asus could have a least put a half decent set of stereo speakers either side!

I still exist

mstephenson

mstephenson

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD2
Was really beginning to like this device until I noticed the small exterior screen. While I like having the option of the full qwerty keyboard inside, I find I rarely use it on my S710. This doesn't bother me really but if I were to do it with this device, i'd pretty much constantly be using the smaller screen, unless I open up the phone when I don't really need to, just to look at the bigger screen. Spec wise it looks like a really good piece of kit, something i'd definitely have a long look at if it wasn't for the problem mentioned above. Shame, but for those who regularly use the full keybaord then this device looks amazing

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Devices:a lot

Windows Mobile 6 does not support the widescreen aspect ratio.    See http://blogs.msdn.co...-revisited.aspx for list of supported resolutions.  Asus cannot put in a full-width widescreen display without OS support.  The ironic thing about all this is that Windows CE had half-height VGA (640x240) ten years ago.

There have been cases where changes in the OS have been driven by hardware (e.g. screen rotation in WM5 came out of the HTC reference device).  But Asus probably was unwilling to wait for the OS.

Not Nokia-wise as in the E90 (800*352), but 800*480 (WVGA) IS supported. With that (and with the Pro OS - that is, a touchscreen), this device would be a killer.

CUrrently, IMHO, this phone REALLY sucks. I just don't see the point in getting it.

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Devices:a lot

Was really beginning to like this device until I noticed the small exterior screen. While I like having the option of the full qwerty keyboard inside, I find I rarely use it on my S710. This doesn't bother me really but if I were to do it with this device, i'd pretty much constantly be using the smaller screen, unless I open up the phone when I don't really need to, just to look at the bigger screen. Spec wise it looks like a really good piece of kit, something i'd definitely have a long look at if it wasn't for the problem mentioned above. Shame, but for those who regularly use the full keybaord then this device looks amazing

It's IMHO better to get an external ThinkOutside keyboard - this ASUS phone is, IMHO, a joke.

Boinng

Boinng

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Devices:Iphone 3G, Tytn II
I agree with the comments re touchscreen - a device like this with Smartphone outside and Pocket PC inside would be fantastic, and a real innovation. Anything less than that just seems a waste of form factor. I'd say the same about the E90 too - it should have a full-blown touchscreen OS inside, not just S60 stretched to fit.

Jackie55

Jackie55

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I like M930 Smartphone.

Parthaa Bosu

Parthaa Bosu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:O2 XDA Stealth

I like M930 Smartphone.

Apart from all other, the paint quality is really poor. My asus m930 is just 6 months old, and it changing colour like the chameleon!

Parthaa Bosu
O2 XDA Stealth | Mini| XDA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users