easy way of getting off standby

Guest shootydogthing

Guest shootydogthing

Just got my Vario III yesterday, and I already love it. Spend last night getting it set up just as I want, and this afternoon I discovered something interesting.

Rather than having to find the power button, you can just "pulse" the screen slightly (Push it slightly away from you, then let it come back before the slider mechanism kicks in.) Not enough for the automatic spring to kick in, but a just a little. Do it right and the screen will come back on, but not redraw in landscape. It's certainly easier in the dark or if you're in a hurry.

Edited by shootydogthing

Guest basegreen

Handy! :)

SO what else have you put on there?

Am struggling to find the best way of getting battery life readout. Used to use some commercial tool but hvent got that any more :D

Guest shootydogthing

I use a program called batti. It displays a colored bar along the top of the screen.

I also have MSN and lots of the HTC stuff ripped from the Cruise and Touch Dual (found at the site of those who develope for XDAs) , and Paul's tweak pack and debrander.

Guest shootydogthing
You have to show us in a youtube... ;-)

I'm off out soon... I'll do one when i get home. Assuming I can get my webcam to work :)

Just a note, this might wear your slider out a bit faster if you do it all the time. But it's still good for waking it up in the middle of the night when you can't be assed finding the button.

Guest dolbe666

just slide the keyboard out a couple of mm and it comes out of standby, I think thats what he means. its an old method but works for one handed access

EDIT: typos's :)

Edited by dolbe666

yea i understood the second time around :)

yeah, me too - took 30 seconds of prodding the touchscreen to realise i was barking up the wrong tree!!!!!

thanks - nice tip

• 4 weeks later...

You need to edit the registry to disable wake-up on keyboard slide:

Navigate to HKLM>HARDWARE>DEVICEMAP>KEYBD

Create a new DWORD value "SlideWakeup" with value 0

Power-off by holding the power button, restart

Guest Webreaper

I've found a quick way of turning the device on, and it works one-handed.

There's little square about 1/4 of the way down the right-hand edge of the device, and if you press it in, the device comes out of standby. If you're having trouble finding it, it's got a little red logo that looks like a circle with a line through it.

:D

Guest shootydogthing

put it this way: it's the middle of the night. you need to check the time, you don't have a clock and your kaiser is on the bedside table. the power button isn't exactly easy to find in the dark, whereas sliding the screen slightly is.

there are situations where this is useful. next time think for a second before taking the piss.

Guest Webreaper
put it this way: it's the middle of the night. you need to check the time, you don't have a clock and your kaiser is on the bedside table. the power button isn't exactly easy to find in the dark, whereas sliding the screen slightly is.

there are situations where this is useful. next time think for a second before taking the piss.

Actually, I was only half taking the piss. I never look at my device when turning it on from standby. I can feel the power button instinctively; when the device is in my hand my thumb naturally falls onto it. I use the device a lot most days, and I can turn it on/off without needing to use the slider. I regularly use my device without taking it out of my pocket (e.g., to adjust the volume or changing track)....

Guest jimbouk
Actually, I was only half taking the piss. I never look at my device when turning it on from standby. I can feel the power button instinctively; when the device is in my hand my thumb naturally falls onto it. I use the device a lot most days, and I can turn it on/off without needing to use the slider. I regularly use my device without taking it out of my pocket (e.g., to adjust the volume or changing track)....

^^^^what he said.

I disabled the slider when the device arrived back last October. I hated it waking up when I took the phone out of my pocket and "slid" it slightly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rickwookie

BTW thanks for this tip. I too struggle to find the power button on this thing.

@Webreaper: What version of the Kaiser to you have that has this "little square about 1/4 of the way down the right-hand edge of the device" that your "thumb naturally falls onto"? My T-Mobile Vario III has no such feature.

Guest rickwookie
the power button...

Oh I see...

...so on the Vario III that would be the RECTANGULAR button that is perfectly flush with the edge of the device by design so that presumably it doesn't get pushed too often while the device is in your pocket and thus waste the battery, but as a side effect becomes very difficult to find in the dark and could only be described as being located in a position where your "thumb naturally falls onto" if one where to hold the phone in a very odd way or if they had very small hands. :D

Guest Mr.Clark
Oh I see...

...so on the Vario III that would be the RECTANGULAR button that is perfectly flush with the edge of the device by design so that presumably it doesn't get pushed too often while the device is in your pocket and thus waste the battery, but as a side effect becomes very difficult to find in the dark and could only be described as being located in a position where your "thumb naturally falls onto" if one where to hold the phone in a very odd way or if they had very small hands. :D

As opposed to a feature that can trigger several times a minute when the phone is in your pocket and you're not standing ramrod straight like a soldier?

One of the first things I disable, that is. The power button is easy to find if I was blindfolded, hanging from the ceiling and had the Kaiser in my off hand.

But maybe it's either a "you can do it or you can't" thing. Like rolling your tongue. Only with phones.

Guest rickwookie
As opposed to a feature that can trigger several times a minute when the phone is in your pocket and you're not standing ramrod straight like a soldier?

One of the first things I disable, that is. The power button is easy to find if I was blindfolded, hanging from the ceiling and had the Kaiser in my off hand.

But maybe it's either a "you can do it or you can't" thing. Like rolling your tongue. Only with phones.

Maybe it is indeed a "you can do it or you can't" thing. Like moving around in such a way as to NOT cause the two halves of the phone in your pocket to be somehow propelled at least 5mm in opposite directions against the force of the built-in spring - several times a minute! :D

In all seriousness though, maybe there really is an issue with the springs on some units. I tried holding the main body of the phone (not touching the sliding screen part) and shaking it to see how much it would take to cause the screen to slide enough to bring the device out of standby. It takes quite a shake, and not one that I can see being replicated in my pocket many times a day, let alone several times a minute. Perhaps certain units have much weaker springs.

Perhaps also certain units have power buttons that protrude more. The button on my unit is practically 'invisible' from a tactile perspective.

BTW have you tried finding the power button while blindfolded and hanging from the ceiling??? :(

Guest shootydogthing

Sounds like he has some weird fetishes...

But I agree, I can't find my power button easily, especially not the way I hold my kaiser.