Audio recording quality - it sucks

Guest 88Saleen351

Guest 88Saleen351

That's right.I'm sure many of you out there disgust the sound quality in your video recordings or sound recorder.I have been through the registry.I even tried Resco audio recorder.Even using Resco,it seems that the sound from the mic goes through some AD converter before it even gets to Resco.That is meaning,when you record a file in Resco at say...32khz...the resulting sound quality in the playback file still sounds like 8khz but artificially up-sampled to 32khz.In other words...it still sounds like sh*@! I also tried using the Motorola H700 BT hands free headset to record through....still get the same result.I'm thinking the sound input has to be linked to "msacm.msg711" in the registry.If anyone knows a way around this or some kind of improvement,I would most certainly like to hear about it.Improper text formatting due to me using Pie.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 88Saleen351

Ok...Just tried VITO Audio Notes.The program runs fine just as Resco does.But,I get the same results.I'll record a sound using uncompressed PCM method.Regardless of what sample rate I use to record with...whether it be 22khz , 44khz etc.The files get larger but playing them back still sounds like 8khz setting.With noticeable high frequency tinniness which is typically the result of artificial upampling.In case you dont understand what atificial upsampling is...it's when you take an audio sample recorded at...say 11khz and convert the sound to a higher sample rate such as 22khz.Doing this does not make the original recording sound any better.And will also have high frequency tinniness .There's a host of recording apps available.But having a program that records at better quality sample rates makes no sence if the resulting file still sounds like the original low-qual compressed 8khz files.Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.I've googled this subject in many forms but nothing points direct to motorola Q recording quality.

Edited by 88Saleen351

• 4 months later...
Guest 88Saleen351

Update - I'm going to take a wild guess that this issue is not resolvable.The Moto Q series phones are notoriously bad for this and it appears it's a hardware issue.The only files linked to audio compression in the registry are GSM610 and MSG711 which are both codecs for cellular voice calls.Registry keys of any relevence HKLM/AudioCompressionManager/DriverCache/msacm.msg711 - Keys : aFormatTagCache = Hex data - : cFilterTags = DWORD = 0 - : cFormatTags = DWORD = 3 - : fdwSupport = DWORD = 1 ..Those values don't control bitrate or quality.And is most likely preset in msg711.dll ..Of course if any one comes across any key values or settings related to audio codecs or other info on recording quality,dll hacks etc,3rd part programs etc ,please do post about them.Otherwise,I'm just going to see what I can find on the market as far as a new PPC goes , when the time comes.

• 1 year later...
Guest 88Saleen351

And it still SUCKS! lol . To date , I have found that it is NOT possible to get better sound recording quality than compressed 8khz. This blows cause I'm an absolute audiophile nut. I wasn't looking for top notch FM quality, but I would've expected better than crappy .qcp garbage quality sound. Anyways, I'm getting a new handset soon. I was looking into either the HTC Touch Pro or the new upcoming Touch Pro2. Hopefully one of these handsets yields better results than the Q phones. Having something on the go that doesn't record garbled up sound would be very useful.

T.C.

TAGS - Motorola Q, Q9C, Q9M, Record sound on my Q, distorted, QCELP, Quallcom, encoder, codec, sample rate

PSs : For those Motorola Q/ Q9C users who want the LOUDEST possible volume boost on their handsets with NO registry editing, head on over to SmartAppsWorld . I wrote up a .cab file that you just run once (on your phone), restart your phone, and the volume output is trippled. This is the basegains hack, without the registry editing. :D