• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

thering

thering

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:i780
I use GPS Gate, and the icon turns green it´s indicate that it´s ok to use the TOMTOM (GPS)

J273

J273

Addict

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Interests:Phones / computers / Cars
  • Devices:WHITE IPHONE 3GS
  • Twitter:@J273
Found this over on XDA-developers.....A free alternative to gpsgate and no soft reset problems.

The best way to have your i780 working with TomTom Navigator 6: PortSplitter.
Install TomTom, install PortSplitter.
Set the Windows Mobile settings to program: COM8, hardware: COM9 and baud 4800.
In PortSplitter, set input to COM8: (type it in) and output to COM6:. Then ADD the output port by pressing the ADD button.
Check the AUTOSTART function and press START SPLITTER.
This will start automatically whenever you open the application on a later time.

Then start TomTom, set other nmea gps to baudrate 4800 and point at COM6:. That's all.

It always works (even without soft reset) and the fix is there within 1 minute.

http://www.gpsmeter....ge=portsplitter

Flickr
Iphone / Asus p750 / Samsung I780

vbijelovic

vbijelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi Everyone!

Paul, glad to hear you got yours! I am having the same trouble as you now in that I can't get the blasted GPS to work in any way at all... I have tried the J273 suggestion and initially it said something to the effect of looking for signal, but now it just says no GPS device! DOH! Paul, I have really got used to the Dpad and not using it as amouse any more which is working fine for me now... Anyway, any more news on GPS or ROM cooking appreciated. Btw, Paul - use realVGA, makes it so much better

Found this over on XDA-developers.....A free alternative to gpsgate and no soft reset problems.
The best way to have your i780 working with TomTom Navigator 6: PortSplitter.
Install TomTom, install PortSplitter.
Set the Windows Mobile settings to program: COM8, hardware: COM9 and baud 4800.
In PortSplitter, set input to COM8: (type it in) and output to COM6:. Then ADD the output port by pressing the ADD button.
Check the AUTOSTART function and press START SPLITTER.
This will start automatically whenever you open the application on a later time.

Then start TomTom, set other nmea gps to baudrate 4800 and point at COM6:. That's all.

It always works (even without soft reset) and the fix is there within 1 minute.

http://www.gpsmeter....ge=portsplitter

euphoria3k

euphoria3k

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Hi J273

Did you have any issues once you had uninstalled GPSGate? It seems when i try to set the input in portsplitter to com8 it just says it can't find that port. In the list it still has the virtCom9 which i presume was from gpsgate?

Cheers

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,451 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@@paulobrien
I'm actually sending the i780 to Mono to review, I dislike it that much :D

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

vbijelovic

vbijelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Sorry to hear that Paul! :D

I got my GPS to work, as posted everywhere, both with GPS gate and PortSplitter - I just wasn't waiting long enough outside in the cold for that first fix (and who can blame me in this cold!?) hehe but its now working like a dream... :( only thing left is to get one of Schaps or other cool ROMs on here when/if that becomes possible; and then to sim unlock it of course; and then to.... hehehe :(

I'm actually sending the i780 to Mono to review, I dislike it that much :(

P

hooperman

hooperman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Devices:Imate SP3i
Hi, on the version of Portsplitter i downloaded, there is no option to autostart so i have to run that and set it up everytime i soft reset. Which version did you download?
Also, I have found that Navigon doesnt work on the i780 although it worked perfectly on my Compact 3

vbijelovic

vbijelovic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
V 1.11
Don't know what Navigon. TomTom works fine with it as does Google Maps for me

Hi, on the version of Portsplitter i downloaded, there is no option to autostart so i have to run that and set it up everytime i soft reset. Which version did you download?
Also, I have found that Navigon doesnt work on the i780 although it worked perfectly on my Compact 3

jackofall

jackofall

Inserst amusing text here .......

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Yes
  • Devices:Samsung i780

I'm actually sending the i780 to Mono to review, I dislike it that much :D

P

Does that mean we won't be seeing an i780 debrand pack?

thanks

Smartphone - Stupid owner ;)

ZeroK66

ZeroK66

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Technology/Motoring - VAG

Should there be any sort of flashing LED etc to indicate the GPS is working?

P

Hi Paul, how are you getting on. Got mine through orange business, but not done anything with it yet... hoping to have a crack later this week.

Best winmo device I have ever owned for sure!!

If it has got tits or wheels (or Windows) it will give you sh!t.

shodanjr_gr

shodanjr_gr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Mobile Phones, Computers, Minuature Wargames, Women, Metal Music
  • Devices:SPV C500
I have a greek unbranded version of the deviec, and the GPS seems to be working perfectly without the need for GPSGate or portsplitter...I set the GPS device settings (hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8) and then search for the GPS inside destinator, and its there! Works great!

SPV C500 with 256 Megabyte Mini-SD card and NOKIA HDW-3 BT Handsfree

RID US OF THE DREADED TSSSSS BUG!!!!!

panagiog

panagiog

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:hd

Here goes - photos as requested

I am sorry but HTC HomePlug works with i780???

panagiog

panagiog

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:hd

I have a greek unbranded version of the deviec, and the GPS seems to be working perfectly without the need for GPSGate or portsplitter...I set the GPS device settings (hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8) and then search for the GPS inside destinator, and its there! Works great!

Confirm settings!!!

shodanjr_gr

shodanjr_gr

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Mobile Phones, Computers, Minuature Wargames, Women, Metal Music
  • Devices:SPV C500

Confirm settings!!!

Also the GPS is pretty fast to get a lock, once you get the ephemeris file downloaded (just let it sit on your dashboard with a GPS software runnign for like 30 minutes) and it runs great.

SPV C500 with 256 Megabyte Mini-SD card and NOKIA HDW-3 BT Handsfree

RID US OF THE DREADED TSSSSS BUG!!!!!

amitkarwal

amitkarwal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:null

Also the GPS is pretty fast to get a lock, once you get the ephemeris file downloaded (just let it sit on your dashboard with a GPS software runnign for like 30 minutes) and it runs great.

Friends,

I’ve had my i780 for nearly 2 months and I still haven’t managed to get the GPS working!

I bought the handset from Orange (but have since had it unlocked). Like most people I have it setup to hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8.

Although applications seem to detect the GPS functionality, I can’t seem to get any satellites or GPS data.
  • On GPSGate the icon will always remain amber.
  • GPS Test always remains in an amber state (GPS Starting up).
  • Googlemaps will always remain on “Seeking GPS satellites (0)” before failing.
I know it seems like all I need to do is stand outside and wait for a satellite or two to appear. However, my phone never detects anything. I’ve even stood on bridges along the river Thames and found nothing! The phone works fine with my BT GPS which picks up satellite within seconds so its not like I’m missing them or anything.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Otherwise it’s a great phone and brilliant replacements for my treo 750v.

mic_888

mic_888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch

Friends,

I’ve had my i780 for nearly 2 months and I still haven’t managed to get the GPS working!

I bought the handset from Orange (but have since had it unlocked). Like most people I have it setup to hardware port COM9, programs listen on COM8.

Although applications seem to detect the GPS functionality, I can’t seem to get any satellites or GPS data.

• On GPSGate the icon will always remain amber.
  • GPS Test always remains in an amber state (GPS Starting up).
  • Googlemaps will always remain on “Seeking GPS satellites (0)” before failing.
I know it seems like all I need to do is stand outside and wait for a satellite or two to appear. However, my phone never detects anything. I’ve even stood on bridges along the river Thames and found nothing! The phone works fine with my BT GPS which picks up satellite within seconds so its not like I’m missing them or anything.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

P.S Otherwise it’s a great phone and brilliant replacements for my treo 750v.

Amitkarwal

Unfortunately I'm not able to help with your query although I saw a thread over on xda developers about using the GPS on the i780.  I was wondering though how you unlocked your i780 from Orange?  Did you do it yourself or did you get an unlock code from Orange?  Would you mind letting me know as I am expecting my Orange i780 to arrive next week.  That would help me out a lot :D

Thanks

mic

mic_888

mic_888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Amitkarwal

Unfortunately I'm not able to help with your query although I saw a thread over on xda developers about using the GPS on the i780.  I was wondering though how you unlocked your i780 from Orange?  Did you do it yourself or did you get an unlock code from Orange?  Would you mind letting me know as I am expecting my Orange i780 to arrive next week.  That would help me out a lot :D

Thanks

mic

Sorry - here's the link

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=362872

amitkarwal

amitkarwal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:null

Sorry - here's the link

http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=362872

Hi Mic,

Thanks for trying. It looks like someone else has just posted a similar issue on xda-developer (#35) with no answer thus far.

I went to Fonezone http://www.foneszone...amsung/i780.php it took about 3 weeks to get a code as the supplier was having delays. Things may have improved by now.

Could you do me a favour and post a note to let me know if your GPS works. I think I may need to accept my phone as being faulty and hope this issue is cleared up with a replacement :D

munzab

munzab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Devices:Qtek 9100 & spv e100
im also expecting an orange i780 to drop in, but i live abroad. im wondering,how do we get it sim unlocked?the only reference im getting is the GPS unlock. Cheers for helping!

mic_888

mic_888

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi Mic,

Thanks for trying. It looks like someone else has just posted a similar issue on xda-developer (#35) with no answer thus far.

I went to Fonezone http://www.foneszone...amsung/i780.php it took about 3 weeks to get a code as the supplier was having delays. Things may have improved by now.

Could you do me a favour and post a note to let me know if your GPS works. I think I may need to accept my phone as being faulty and hope this issue is cleared up with a replacement :D

Great thanks for replying!  I'll check out Fonezone once my phone arrives (looks like it's going to be Friday) - I'll see if I can get the GPPS working - will update here.  Maybe I'll need to app unlock the phone too - I'll see.

Munzab - the phone is too new to get a free workaround for the sim unlock.  The only other way I can think of at the moment is to flash the Samsung original ROM to the phone -I did this with my HTC Touch (flashed with cooked ROM - which was locked to T-Mobile.  However I don't really want to do this yet as I want to play around with the phone first.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users