Data Usage

Guest nevawlkalone

Guest nevawlkalone

I have tmobile web n walk with my kaiser however im one of these that after using data will terminate the connection after using it. Mainly to save battery life but also to keep data usage down but this defeats the idea of having push email set up.

What i want to know is, if the kaiser isnt downloading anything from the net but the connection is active, will it actually transfer any data?

Guest jimbouk

1) With web-n-walk you dont need to keep usage down (unless you are knocking on the fair usage policy limits - which is very unlikely)

2) With direct push your device basically sends 3kp every 15 mins or so (ok so its actually a little more complicated than that but thats basically it)

3) Other than the direct push heartbeat, having data connected doesnt send of receive any data (unless you have a web browser open with a page that auto refreshes or similar). So if direct push is off, then no data is flowing.

Guest hotphil
cool,

All i gota do is find a decent lasting battery now lol

M

If you do a quick search on here, there's a few threads where extra capacity batteries are mentioned/links to sellers.

Guest Neil5459
cool,

All i gota do is find a decent lasting battery now lol

M

Have you actually done a comparison of battery use with data always on, and with it only one when you switch it on?

I'd would expect there to be very little difference. If battery life is a major concern, it's much more effective to turn off 3G and let the phone use GSM only, which is perfectly adequate for emal and light browsing.

Guest nevawlkalone
If you do a quick search on here, there's a few threads where extra capacity batteries are mentioned/links to sellers.

Cheers for this, already been looking at a few threads.

Have you actually done a comparison of battery use with data always on, and with it only one when you switch it on?

I'd would expect there to be very little difference. If battery life is a major concern, it's much more effective to turn off 3G and let the phone use GSM only, which is perfectly adequate for emal and light browsing.

No i havent done a full test/comparison but i have noticed depleted battery life when using data for long periods of time (spend a lot of time on messenger on the traing to and from work.)

Guest jimbouk
Cheers for this, already been looking at a few threads.

No i havent done a full test/comparison but i have noticed depleted battery life when using data for long periods of time (spend a lot of time on messenger on the traing to and from work.)

Well thats different. That is using data - and on a 3g/H connection that will suck your battery dry very quickly - say three hours?

Guest Subliminal Aura
Well thats different. That is using data - and on a 3g/H connection that will suck your battery dry very quickly - say three hours?

Probably about right...

Streaming music or youtube for a solid hour reduces my battery by 40% from full charge.

IE

Solid HSDPA with bluetooth A2DP running.

Not sure if that figure is linear ie with my usage it should mean I have 2.5 hours of capacity but the reality is probably 2hours.

We warned though - The Kaiser does heat up a fair bit under such conditions.

Guest Confucious

HSDPA can kill my battery (Athena not Kaiser) in about 2.5 hours.

Running over 2.5G will vastly impove bayttery life but the other thing that drains the battery is the constant searching for new masts when used on the train.

Turning off 3G but leaving the data connection on should be fine - messenger should be OK over 2.5G as well.

Guest Subliminal Aura
You're also forgetting that messenger on the train uses power because the screen's on. Push mail doesn't light up the screen.

IM+ for the win ?

Just tried it over lunchtime and it works great running in the background.

Guest nevawlkalone

That is what i am saying, i havent looked at having the connection on permanently, i have only noticed depletion during that usage.

Guest Confucious
That is what i am saying, i havent looked at having the connection on permanently, i have only noticed depletion during that usage.

If you don't need 3G speed select 2.5G only.

Guest nevawlkalone
You're also forgetting that messenger on the train uses power because the screen's on. Push mail doesn't light up the screen.

true, clocked that when using my old iPAQ so dropped the screen brightness, weirdly enough it made a vast difference.

Guest nevawlkalone
If you don't need 3G speed select 2.5G only.

hehe i dont need it but damn i want it lol...main reason i got the phone...old cliche, cant have your cake and eat it!

My TyTn II is allways online for the lame fact that it rings and recives e-mails every 30 odd seconds, my battery lasts a good 43 hours running all the time while being on MSN, Push E-Mail on, the odd web browse and occasional video call. Mine came standard and didnt buy a new one. That's all WITHOUT my frequent injection on 4:4 pop-punk music :)

Edited by Techy

Guest Neil5459

For IM and email use, you really won't notice much difference between GPRS and 3G. 3G/HSDPA only really becomes noticable when you are browsing large, graphic heavy websites, or downloading/streaming large files.

The difference in battery usage however, is marked. If you have the 10 button Comm Manager, you can quickly switch 3G on/off as needed/

Guest nevawlkalone
For IM and email use, you really won't notice much difference between GPRS and 3G. 3G/HSDPA only really becomes noticable when you are browsing large, graphic heavy websites, or downloading/streaming large files.

The difference in battery usage however, is marked. If you have the 10 button Comm Manager, you can quickly switch 3G on/off as needed/

10 button comm manager?

Guest nevawlkalone
There is a thread about it on another site Here. You would need to register to download the file.

*swerve ball*

cant install it as it doesnt have sufficeient permisions.

weird, done it now....had to soft reset me dog n bone before it would do it....wtf

Comm manager tends to run in the background - won't do the change unless it is closed...

Guest nevawlkalone
Comm manager tends to run in the background - won't do the change unless it is closed...

No, the installation itself failed even though i terminated the process etc...ah well all works now so... :)

Edited by nevawlkalone