Photo

web (browser) app with 'offline' mode and local persistence?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dt_matthews

dt_matthews

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Hi All,

I have had a google for info on this Question but can’t seem to find much, certainly not very formal documentation or examples anyway.

I therefore hope someone (developer / T.A or such) can point me in the right direction! I have the following (Windows Mobile) PDA development requirement. In a nutshell, I want to create a browser-based application [not custom-UI] which writes to a local (SQL Server Mobile edition) database and then sends the information as and when a GPRS connection is available.

Could some kind soul tell me if this is possible? I know on a standard PC this would be tricky for security reasons (i.e. browser being sand-boxed) but hopefully there is an approach to allow a browser to run off local cached web pages and save to its local file-system (db)

Looking forward to any info! :)

Thanks,
Dan

dt_matthews

dt_matthews

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
no-one got any knowledge / advice????

peter aviano

peter aviano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

no-one got any knowledge / advice????

You might want to look at Google Gears. Provides local persistence when offline and also synch's back to your website when you go online.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,369 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
I don't think what you suggest will work. Gears may be a good option as suggested, else you'll need to write a 'real' app.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

dt_matthews

dt_matthews

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I don't think what you suggest will work. Gears may be a good option as suggested, else you'll need to write a 'real' app.

P

ta all, i will have a look @ Google Gears then...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users