Photo

How to install and USE .net Compact Framework 3.5 WITHOUT upgrading your ROM.

* * * * * 11 votes

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

jerseywurzel

jerseywurzel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Pro 2
- Downloading and installing both CABs below (to internal memory!)
- Running '.Net Configuration' from your Start Menu
- Navigating to the 'Device Policy' tab and selecting version 3.5
- Selecting 'Apply' then 'OK'

Hi Paul,

I was directed here from TiltMobile, because I was trying to run programs from OpnMarket on my HTC Touch Pro 2, but ran into this needing .net compact error. Being computer literate is NOT the same as installing these things ona mobile for me; I`m still learning. But with the instructions from Tilt Mobile, your cabs and instructions, made it a painless, and suceesful, endeavour.

Many, many thanks! <_<
jerseywurzel

Edited by jerseywurzel, 13 March 2010 - 09:12 PM.

lujerneta

lujerneta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Scuba diving
  • Devices:HTC HD2

If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along
Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful ;)

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

Posted Image Posted Image

New on this forum :)

I can't install it on my HTC HD2 (French). I get the error message :
"Installation error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 2".

I tried to install the french & English versions.

I have read all the posts & tried some solutions proposed but without success.

Can someone help me ?

Thank you in advance.

HTC HD2 T8585
OS version Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
CE OS 5.2.21869 (21869. 5.0.82)
Date de ROM 01/11/10
Version systeme 5.2.21869 (21869.5.0.82)
Version Manila 2.5.19211619.0
Version de ROM 1.66.406.1 (76641) FRE
Version de Radio 2.06.51.07
Version de protocole 15.30.50.07U
Un qui sait vaut mieux que dix qui cherchent
One who knows is better than ten who seek

lujerneta

lujerneta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Photography - Scuba diving
Hello everybody,

I found a solution to install .net Compact Framework 3.5 :) :
The link is :http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=410454&page=3
Look for Post n° 13

I hope this will help a lot of you.

Best regards.

HTC HD2 T8585
OS version Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional
CE OS 5.2.21869 (21869. 5.0.82)
Date de ROM 01/11/10
Version systeme 5.2.21869 (21869.5.0.82)
Version Manila 2.5.19211619.0
Version de ROM 1.66.406.1 (76641) FRE
Version de Radio 2.06.51.07
Version de protocole 15.30.50.07U
Un qui sait vaut mieux que dix qui cherchent
One who knows is better than ten who seek

Ghanashyam

Ghanashyam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:HPi Paq

Hi, I have installed Net CF 2.0. After I downloaded the below cab files, it is saying that the file is not a valid windows ce setup file. Are the below cabs not compatible with PocketPC 2003 (or are they compressed cabs) ? Another program called SafeModeReset also gives the same error..Can you please help me out?

I was able to install the Camerware app without any problems. However, the .net CF 3.5 cab's above don;t seem to be compatible with WM2003 SE (the one I have). So I searched around and found NETCFv35.ppc.armv4.cab on rapidshare which I was able to install properly :)

Hope this helps someone with similar issues.

mizoco

mizoco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC diamond 2
it works great on my HTC TD2, thanks a lot guys :P

maine1963

maine1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I followed the directions for installation to the "T"!! It will not install version 3.5

I am using a US Cellular HTC Touch Pro 2

Any suggestions? I get as far as the part where you RUN .net configuration. When I go to "Device Policy" tab, it only comes up with the older 2.? version. The installation of NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab FAILS EVERY time...

I went to the Microsoft Download page and like you said it is embedded, so the application for version 3.5 does not want to execute from the Program Files page on my Phone.

Help would be nice....

Also was wondering why US Cellular HTC Pro 2 is not listed for being supported for Windows Mobile 6.5???

maine1963

maine1963

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I followed the directions for installation to the "T"!! It will not install version 3.5

I am using a US Cellular HTC Touch Pro 2

Any suggestions? I get as far as the part where you RUN .net configuration. When I go to "Device Policy" tab, it only comes up with the older 2.? version. The installation of NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab FAILS EVERY time...

I went to the Microsoft Download page and like you said it is embedded, so the application for version 3.5 does not want to execute from the Program Files page on my Phone.

Help would be nice....

Also was wondering why US Cellular HTC Pro 2 is not listed for being supported for Windows Mobile 6.5???

Figured it out. Had to download a "safeMode" app and run my HTC Touch Pro 2 in safe mode and then install the NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab application, then do a soft restart. Works great Paul. Maybe this is just a Touch Pro 2 Glitch?? Still wondering about Windows Mobile 6.5 and if it can b e downloaded for the HTC Touch Pro 2 (US Cellular usedr). Cant Find it as being applicable for my cell provider>>>>????

coffeehouse

coffeehouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

Figured it out. Had to download a "safeMode" app and run my HTC Touch Pro 2 in safe mode and then install the NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab application, then do a soft restart. Works great Paul. Maybe this is just a Touch Pro 2 Glitch?? Still wondering about Windows Mobile 6.5 and if it can b e downloaded for the HTC Touch Pro 2 (US Cellular usedr). Cant Find it as being applicable for my cell provider>>>>????

Downloaded both cabs...works great on my Samsung I8000 too. Thks guys. U have done great where Microsoft has disappoint all. ;) ;) ;)

mrkraaij

mrkraaij

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thaaaanks, I was looking for this explanation and these files. Works just fine on my HTC HD2.

d ibhidh

d ibhidh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a wee 'AppsToDate' link in my Start menu which has appeared after installing both these apps...any ideas how to remove it? It doesn't appear in the 'remove apps' menu on my O2 HTC HD"...many thanks :)

RoyoftheRovers

RoyoftheRovers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Perfect, all installed and running on my HD2. Thanks for both cabs.

kittendestroyer

kittendestroyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:xperia x1
Appreciate your effort. The instructions and the software worked perfectly :-) Now those apps that werent working due to old .net software finally work. :)

RizlaKing

RizlaKing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:I900
Thanks for these Paul your a legend worked fine on my omnia although i had to restart the phone to get it recognised but thats no biggie :).

You gotta laugh

virus23

virus23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along
Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :)

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

Posted Image Posted Image

virus23

virus23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks paul, just what i need it, great help, it's being a pain on............. with the default configuration, thanks one more time......

igoogle

igoogle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks a tonne for the cabs...gr8 job

bobstheone

bobstheone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
worked a treat on my i8000 II thanx bud. :)

bandishier

bandishier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC Imagio
Wonderful stuff...thank you

Navigating at Microsoft is a nightmare

flederwisch

flederwisch

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:htc hd2
Let me add my voice to the chorus of thanks for doing this.

Still a bit staggered that my 4 month old HTC HD2 shipped with version 2 in the first place.

Finally, I can get Arkswitch to work

reyesonifigo

reyesonifigo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
very cool man. it work properly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users