PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,428 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
This is weird... I was in Reigate recently and I had an E symbol on my Kaiser, and browsing certainly seemed to be faster than regular GPRS.

I didn't realise T-Mo had EDGE in the UK?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

bydandie

bydandie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Devices:v1615, MDA Touch 256Mb, XDA IQ

This is weird... I was in Reigate recently and I had an E symbol on my Kaiser, and browsing certainly seemed to be faster than regular GPRS.

P

Whereabouts in Reigate? I thought I saw it in the Woodhatch area end of last year but never again since.

4Winmobile.com
MDA Touch 128Mb, Ameo, QTek v1605, MDA Vario, MPx220, XDAII, Axim X5, Palm Vx

Cowie

Cowie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Nexus S

P

I've just got back from Bamford in the Peak District and was surprised to get an EDGE connection. I haven't seen it anywhere else on my travels (on T-Mobile obviously).

Here's where I was:

http://maps.google.c...e...010289&z=17

Happy Dave

Happy Dave

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
  • Twitter:@72dg

I've just got back from Bamford in the Peak District and was surprised to get an EDGE connection. I haven't seen it anywhere else on my travels (on T-Mobile obviously).

Here's where I was:

http://maps.google.c...e...010289&z=17

and weirdly I just got back from Belfast & Londonderry. As soon as I got to Londonderry from Belfast I got a welcome to T-Mob txt and Edge connection. I'm still confused by that as its obvioulsy still the UK and as far north more or less that you can go.

humph12345

humph12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
All base stations with Ericsson equipment have edge enabled TRU's fitted, but it is only enabled in a few places.

I would assume this would be where there is no 3G coverage.

Vodafone are the same, but do not have it enabled.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
Hi Humph

Do you know why it's not enabled in 3G areas? Lots of phones are not 3G so Edge would be an improvement for them. Can they not enable Edge and 3G on the same TRU?
(Not that I have a clue what a TRU is :D )

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

humph12345

humph12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hi Humph

Do you know why it's not enabled in 3G areas? Lots of phones are not 3G so Edge would be an improvement for them. Can they not enable Edge and 3G on the same TRU?
(Not that I have a clue what a TRU is :D )

A TRU is a 2G transponder. The equipment for 2G and 3G are different, so you would either have a 2G/3G site, with 3G as the main data bearer and GPRS as a fall back. On 2G coverage areas, EDGE could be enabled to increase the available data rates. This would be dependant on how congested the site was, as you will lose voice capacity to data.

I suspect they don't enable EDGE on site with 3G because the way forward for them is 3G, hence this agreement to combine networks with 3. The 2G licenses are up for renewal soon, don't be surprised to see some operators not bidding and then selling their 2g infrastucture to the new operator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users