Asus P750 UK Release Date?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
thumb_06-Oct-2007_p750_3.jpg

Cast your mind back to October, we exclusively previewed Asus' all singing, all dancing P750. At the time I was told to expect e-tailers like Expansys and Devicewire to be stocking the device by December and for a certain carrier O2 to have the device by February.

Well, as with most release dates, the P750's has slipped. However, I was doing my regular check of Expansys earlier and what did I see? The P750 was available by request! This, however, has now changed to what seems to be a firm date of March 20th and an amazing price of just £349.95! :D

Now, when you consider the almost identically spec'd HTC Kaiser is currently selling for £469.95, you realise just how good that price really is.

Oh and as a teaser of things to come, we've got our hands on a UK retail P750 which I'll be doing the obligatory video unboxing / review of very soon. Keep it locked people :)

thumb_25-Feb-2008_p750_retail_box.jpg

Guest mstephenson

Must have missed the preview of this back in October but WOW this looks like one great device! Been looking at something to replace my S710 and whilst this breaks the £300 price barrier which I try to stay below, it certainly looks worth the money. Might just start saving :)

Great device but why the 2.6" screen?

Trying to decide between the Asus, HP Ipaq 614 and the Touch cruise

All have pros and cons?

Asus - small screen, but good price and good GPS chipset, only 64meg ram(is this a problem)

HP - unknown quality GPS, ?poor support as pulled from the USA (e.g. software updates, lower number of users)

Touch Cruise - no graphics driver!!, more expensive

So what is the screen like compared to a 2.8". Is it transreflective?

Edited by gorstj

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Great device but why the 2.6" screen?

Trying to decide between the Asus, HP Ipaq 614 and the Touch cruise

All have pros and cons?

Asus - small screen, but good price and good GPS chipset, only 64meg ram(is this a problem)

HP - unknown quality GPS, ?poor support as pulled from the USA (e.g. software updates, lower number of users)

Touch Cruise - no graphics driver!!, more expensive

So what is the screen like compared to a 2.8". Is it transreflective?

I haven't had many, if any, issues with the lack of RAM. The overall performance of the device seems to more than make up for it. As for the screen, I'll admit I would have preferred a 2.8" unit but the 2.6" is still very usable - it's only 0.2" difference at the end of the day :)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
have you had any problems with it at all yet Alex?

Hardware-wise? No. Software-wise? Yes BUT, the ROM installed on my device is 4.3.3 - from looking on the Asus support FTP site, it seems that this is a little out of date. Also, two of the main issues I've experienced seem to have been already addressed with Hotfixes (Asus don't make you wait for a whole new ROM before they issue a fix :) ). For the most part, it's been an absolute dream to live with :D

Guest Mechanicaldan

I too have a S710 (stupid rubber covers), and want more of an All-In-One smartphone. I like having number keys. It's just personal preference. I'm also trying to decide between the P750, the HP 614c, and the MWg Zinc II (which goes against the keypad comment, but I love the S710's slide out keyboard!) I think the 614c might be too big for my pocket. The Zinc II has a slightly larger screen in almost the same case size as the P750. Plus the Zinc II has FM radio, BUT it only has 1.9 MP camera. My next device has to have GPS, otherwise I'll keep my S710. I'm leaning toward the P750 for the better camera, but it's only tri-band :D and I travel to the states. I'm still making trade-offs. :) It looks like I'm waiting for the Xperia X1. :D

I'm really looking forward to the review/unboxing.

Decisions, decisions....

Edited by Mechanicaldan

Mmmm it's alright, I don't really think it can be compared to the Kaiser which has a full QWERTY keyboard. Also it has a smaller screen and half the RAM. I just get the feeling we need more than 64mb these days, I seem to be multi-tasking more and more and my Trinity is really struggling!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
Mmmm it's alright, I don't really think it can be compared to the Kaiser which has a full QWERTY keyboard. Also it has a smaller screen and half the RAM. I just get the feeling we need more than 64mb these days, I seem to be multi-tasking more and more and my Trinity is really struggling!

P750 is a lot cheaper than the Kaiser, has better GPS than the Kaiser, is a lot faster than the Kaiser, better looking than the Kaiser and smaller than the Kaiser. That makes it the better device in my book.

I personally prefer having a T9 keypad over a QWERTY keyboard - means you can use it easily with one hand :)

The only thing that the Kaiser beats the P750 on is community support. E.g. the chances of seeing a cooked ROM for the P750 are very slim.

Guest Joost39

I´m still waiting for my new iPAQ 614C, ordered it saturday (in stock they wrote) - no phone today :) it has the 2.8" screen, but my 2,6" on the HTC Touch Dual is okay for everyday use including navigation with GARMIN Mobile XT.

The P750 looks damn nice though...

Edited by Joost39

I´m still waiting for my new iPAQ 614C, ordered it saturday (in stock they wrote) - no phone today :) it has the 2.8" screen, but my 2,6" on the HTC Touch Dual is okay for everyday use including navigation with GARMIN Mobile XT.

The the P750 looks damn nice though...

Let us know what the Ipaq 614 GPS is like.... that is the main thing putting me off..

Guest rkrishnamurthy
The only thing that the Kaiser beats the P750 on is community support. E.g. the chances of seeing a cooked ROM for the P750 are very slim.

No Alex,

Actually they have a dedicated russian forum (http://asusmobile.ru) for Asus Devices with a load of custom roms. i actually use P750 and mine is asian version. i am using a WM6.1 ROM downloaded from the russian website.

Only gripe is, we need to use the google translation and it may not be 100% correct all the time.

regards

krish

Guest Joost39
Let us know what the Ipaq 614 GPS is like.... that is the main thing putting me off..

Sure I´ll do that when it arrives....I´m waiting for it to get here any old day now :)

Guest mstephenson

Was pretty much ready to start saving for one of these phones but i'm growing increasingly worried about the joystick control. Really thought we'd moved on past this idea but it seems not. The main problem is we won't find out if there are any issues with the joystick for a good few months yet as the one on the C600 was great for the first few months. I wouldn't be thinking twice about whether to get this or not if it had the directional pad. Guess at least you have the touch screen and scroll wheel options

Guest Joost39

Got the iPAQ 614C today - WOW what a wonderful onehanded unit all the way - and the GPS is just as good as my Freedom Keychain BT GPS 2000.

Tomtom6 and GARMIN Mobile XT runs like a charm and the 2,8" screen rocks. The touch wheel (round two ways and 4 ways up and down/sideways movement) is nice with the scroll button on the side.

I´m a happy gadgetguy :D

Got the iPAQ 614C today - WOW what a wonderful onehanded unit all the way - and the GPS is just as good as my Freedom Keychain BT GPS 2000.

Tomtom6 and GARMIN Mobile XT runs like a charm and the 2,8" screen rocks. The touch wheel (round two ways and 4 ways up and down/sideways movement) is nice with the scroll button on the side.

What was the GPS lock on time like? Did you download the A-GPS information first, or did it just lock on itself?

What is the speed of the unit like? I believe the intel chip it uses is quite old?

What comes with it in the box? (is their an active car cradle/charger?)

Cheers

Do you have any piccys of the handset?

Thanks

Guest Joost39
What was the GPS lock on time like? Did you download the A-GPS information first, or did it just lock on itself?

What is the speed of the unit like? I believe the intel chip it uses is quite old?

What comes with it in the box? (is their an active car cradle/charger?)

Cheers

Theres no AGPS download? and it just locked on itselves with TT6 and tried iGO plus GARMIN Mobile XT. From cold to fix approx. 15-30 secs.

The speed is compared to my HTC Touch Dual just a bit faster in all applications, and the screensize from 2,6" to 2,8" is damn nice....

Theres no extras in the box; Unit, USB-synckabel, charger, manual, CD, 4 points/softwaredownload for ipaqchoice.com. NO cradle or carcharger? Bought a BRODIT fra DSLdevelopments.com.

Cheers

Edited by Joost39

Guest Joost39
Do you have any piccys of the handset?

Thanks

I´ll take some with my HTC lying beside - just to compare... sorry for the still and lighting.

Full GPS signal inside my house!!!

But I just found out the bluetoothstack sucks bigtime - too much noise in my cars handsfree bluetooth? cant hear people. The HTC works superb? Same Windows proff.?

post-124905-1204229560_thumb.jpg

post-124905-1204229573_thumb.jpg

post-124905-1204229585_thumb.jpg

post-124905-1204229597_thumb.jpg

post-124905-1204229612_thumb.jpg

post-124905-1204229627_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joost39

I think we're veering off topic here guys...

Are you trying to say thread is about a completely different phone from a different manufacturer??? :D

Maybe you have a point.... but it is all useful information!

Edited by gorstj

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.