How to Debrand Motorola Q9h

Guest gskdesign

Guest gskdesign

Hi All,

I'm posting from Sydney, Australia. I was recently sent a Motorola Q9T AT&T brand phone from the US. The phone works fine with my Vodafone sim card however I don't like the AT&T branding and software all over the phone and there is a reason behind that.

1. AT&T is not available in Australia so its features are useless

2. The phone is extremely slow with all this extra junk they have put on it

3. AT&T GUI is awfull, everything is AT&T branded and for the life of me I cant even find internet explorer!

So for these reasons I am looking for someone to guide me in the right direction in Resetting this Q9H back to its standard operating system without the extra AT&T stuff on it. I.E I need someone to help guide me in flashing this phone to the Euro or standard ROM which is not branded.

Can anyone please help me? Otherwise the phone goes for sale!

Guest dwboston
Hi All,

I'm posting from Sydney, Australia. I was recently sent a Motorola Q9T AT&T brand phone from the US. The phone works fine with my Vodafone sim card however I don't like the AT&T branding and software all over the phone and there is a reason behind that.

3. AT&T GUI is awfull, everything is AT&T branded and for the life of me I cant even find internet explorer!

So for these reasons I am looking for someone to guide me in the right direction in Resetting this Q9H back to its standard operating system without the extra AT&T stuff on it. I.E I need someone to help guide me in flashing this phone to the Euro or standard ROM which is not branded.

You can change the home screen (or edit the XML) to remove the "Get Xpress Mail" message.

Internet Explorer is in the "Applications" menu group under the Start menu. Opera mobile is the default browser for the AT&T Q9h. The main benefit of Opera over IE is the ability to have multiple browser windows open. IE seems a little quicker than Opera mobile, especially when opening the application.

The AT&T Q9h has built-in GPS. The Euro versions do not. Flashing to a Euro ROM will likely cause you to lose the ability to access the GPS. Maybe there is a Rogers ROM floating around? The Rogers Q9h also has GPS - maybe it has less branding/bloatware?

Edited by dwboston

Guest Randallc

I have a Rogers branded one in Australia which also has some (not a lot) bloat. Mainly just the start up and shut down.

gskdesign, have you managed to connect to vodaphone 3G? I was under the impression that it would not work as they use 2100mhz and the AT&T one uses 1900.

I have not managed to get mine to connect to Optus 3G due to this frequency issue. (GPRS is OK)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ninjaap
Hi All,

If you havent figured it out yet, I suggest you try this link gskdesign. Its what I used to get rid of all that extra AT&T "bloatware".

http://blogs.lanlogic.net/blogs/tom/archive/2007/12/05/motorola-q9h-customizations.aspx