mandt

mandt

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Devices:Diamond, Kaiser
Paul,

Could we please have some clarification from you on what is and isn't allowed here on MoDaCo.

Recently the decision was made to allow posting of links, and discussion of ROMs, which, for me at least, was a very welcome one, and I think a correct one for the site.

The pinned 'Announcement' posts at the top of each forum also state:

Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to:

* illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software

however there have been a few posts recently linking to ripped HTC and MS software such as Messenger, Album etc, which have always been removed in the past

So..........what exactly can we do? I have always encouraged members to 'Use Google' and give a bit of a hint, rather than link directly, and many others here act likewise, to comply with the rules, based on previous moderation standards.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there seems to be a bit of inconsistency around here at the mo, and would welcome a comment from yourself on what is and what isn't permitted, rather than post something and have it removed.

Cheers

Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Devices:Acer dual sim thingy..

I guess what I'm trying to say is there seems to be a bit of inconsistency around here at the mo, and would welcome a comment from yourself on what is and what isn't permitted, rather than post something and have it removed.

The boards seem to operate a 'do as I say not as I do' attitude - look at who's making the posts that stay ;-) There hasn't been any consistency for a long time.
'We can't read every post!' is the cry. Yet some mods ( and indeed Paul) actively link to xda-devs' hacked roms where in the past a post would get deleted for daring to! Try reporting one. See what happens....

The hypocrisy is what makes me look else where for 'Winmo' news + discussion. :-(

M.S

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
mandt, the rules post was recently updated, and we've recently softened our policy.

Illegal software in respect to 'warez' is of course still completely banned, however you may now link to ROM related files, as stated in the sticky post:

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to:

* ROMs must not be hosted directly on MoDaCo
* ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
* ROMs must give full credit to the original author

Hope this makes it a bit clearer.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Devices:Acer dual sim thingy..

mandt, the rules post was recently updated, and we've recently softened our policy.

ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)

You need to define 'illegal' methinks. For example, HTC make the devices, yet a 3rd party (microsoft) makes the software, so changing a device from say, wm5 to wm6 is using hacked / illegal 3rd party software is it not?....it's not been licensed by anybody (and with upgrades sometimes chargeable ( eg Ipaq) / members only ( eg Imate) there must be a licensing element involved ) for those devices making it 'illegal' surely?

Clear as mud.

M.S

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
It is a grey area which is why I always point people in the direction of the other site for all ROM related questions. I see the two sites as complimentary.
Just my 2d's worth

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

mandt

mandt

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
M.S.

I wasn't trying to be critical, If you think there's an element of hypocrisy on the site then that's your call, but not what I was implying

----------------

Paul

The ROM part of the new rules is clear, what isn't is the posting of software ripped from ROMs, to take Phone Pad as an example surely this is copyrighted by HTC?

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
It's a bit crap really, it's a you're-damned-if-you-do and you're-damned-if-you-don't situation. Certain people will bitch and moan if you don't encompass ROM type chat, certain people will bitch and moan if you do, and certain people ... will bitch and moan either way.

As far as I am concerned, until someone (MS / HTC) says they have a problem with it (and unofficial chat with various parties suggests this isn't likely) then chat / linking to ROM related files is OK. Third party developer apps / cracked files etc. etc. that are sold independent of devices are definitely not OK (that's just pirate software).

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts
If anyone can think of a better way of clarifying the position then please let me know.

And let's not just turn this into another argument topic for the haters...

P

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,368 posts

The hypocrisy is what makes me look else where for 'Winmo' news + discussion. :-(

Hypocrisy, no. Difficult to clarify rules, perhaps. Trying to give people what they want without compromising the site, for sure. Pleasing everyone, unlikely.

P

Posted Image

mandt

mandt

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
Thanks for your input :D

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
I was about to post to ask why on earth any of modaco's polices on this front would cause anyone to look elsewhere for winmo news... then I worked out there must be history here.

If someone doesn't like Modaco, why do they keep posting ?

FWIW, I think Modaco plays it pretty well. I still err on the side of caution and tell people to go find the files they need elsewhere.

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users