UPDATE: Asus P750 VGA Becomes A Reality!

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest Alex (nedge2k)
thumb_21-Mar-2008_img-77881-ASUSP750VGA.jpg

Told you I'd be watching this one closely! :( After a lot of hard work and "sleepless nights", Sorg and GreateVK from Asusmobile.ru have cracked VGA on the P750!! Sorg says that if all goes well, firmware will be released within the next week :( Great work guys, can't wait to try it out!

UPDATE: Well, it's been a long week but the firmware has finally been released! :D Downloading as I write... :(

Guest Amplificator

Wow, that's really nice :D

Although I must say that the icons do look a bit (a lot actually) small and the text seems pretty hard to read.

I'm also wandering how the performance will be when it have to power a VGA resolution instead of QVGA?

EDIT: A larger picture is attached in the forum thread: http://4pda.ru/forum/uploads/img-77881-ASUSP750VGA.jpg

Edited by Amplificator

Guest Mechanicaldan

Google translator is awesome! I can now read Russian. Sweet.

So there was some discussion about programs that were written to work with QVGA and others that would work in VGA. So does a 240 x 320 screen become a 480 x 640? How many programs are going to display properly on a screen that is essentially 4 times bigger?

How much better is it that it's the same aspect ratio versus the Xperia X1 with a 800 x 480 ratio? I would think the P750 has a big advantage in this regard.

Now, I'm really torn between the two devices. I have grown to love a slide out keyboard, and am looking for a replacement for my S710, but after owning the S710 with screen rotation, I'm personally aware of screen display issues and also lack of some support by software.

Guest Monolithix

The official MS line on higher-res screens is that it's used to increase the quality of the GUI displayed on screen, so the ratio's stay the same and you don't actually gain any screen real estate.

The pic above is using something like RealVGA to enable the use of absolute ratios, eg the menu and softkey bars use the same number of pixels and retain their original quality, resulting in them being smaller on the screen (same as fiddling your PC's display resolution).

From my experience of using RealVGA the majority of applications (except games perhaps) seem to cope fine. In fact it's system icons that suffer the most (the spinning logo in activesync, phone pad, etc)

Guest mikeeey

lol my kaiser looks quite similar to this when im using Nydot Virtual Display to make it VGA. howeveri guess there's really no way to tell unless we saw it for ourselves. maybe a video would make it easier to see?

i mean, a camera can focus and take a huge picture, so of corse it looks crisp in that picture...

Guest Menneisyys
Am I ruining a prank by suggesting this is all too close to the 1st of April?

It's real.

BTW, I'm absolutely sure they'll be able to implement SE (standard) VGA as well - the default "low-res" mode of VGA Pocket PC's.

Guest spvdk

Very, very interesting. Any hints on where to look for pics taken with the P750 cam? Could still be the deal breaker for me...

Edited by spvdk

Guest Monolithix

Mikeeey: clearly you have never seen a VGA device or don't have any idea how digital imagery works! The green pic below was taken of my RealVGA'd Jasjar, the black of my Nyditot VD'd Hermes, no resolution photograph is going to clear up the mess on that qVGA screen :D

Edit: And a side by side blown up shot to boot....

post-993-1206483437_thumb.jpg

post-993-1206483457_thumb.jpg

post-993-1206483844_thumb.jpg

Guest Sudhir K

hey there guys

i got my asus p750 about 2 weeks ago, havent had much time to play with it so was wondering if i used this firmware does it change the whole existing setup or not? and do i need to flash my rom.

another thing though, my GPS won't work any ideas on the port settings?

cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rireed
hey there guys

i got my asus p750 about 2 weeks ago, havent had much time to play with it so was wondering if i used this firmware does it change the whole existing setup or not? and do i need to flash my rom.

another thing though, my GPS won't work any ideas on the port settings?

cheers.

Try COM5 at 57600 N,8,1 NMEA format

I just got this working today after looking at the 'ask Nedge' thread/page 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.