The Official Samsung i780 "Ask Chris" thread

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

[teaser]

20-Mar-2009_main_330_r77.gif
Today I'm playing with the new(ish :D) Samsung i780 from Orange. This Windows Mobile 6 Professional device sports a great 320x320 pixel touchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard. It's a features packed device and looks like it could be a winner, click through the jump for my first impressions, the full spec and to post your quesitons![/teaser]

The i780 rundown:

• 2.5" 320x320 touchscreen (flush with the casing!)
  • 256/128MB ROM/RAM
  • Tri-band GPRS/EDGE and single-band UMTS/HSDPA
  • Full QWERTY Keyboard
  • Wifi/BT/aGPS
  • 624MHz PXA310 Processor
  • 61x116x13mm
  • 120g
  • Touch sensitive "D-Pad"

Certainly not the smallest device on the market, clocking in slightly wider and taller than a TyTN II but notably thinner. The touch d-pad is a bit gimmicky unfortunately, it works but the default setting of a virtual mouse just isn't useful, and I quickly switched it to normal d-pad usage (swipe actions for u/d/l/r). Obviously there's a slide out (telescopic) stylus too, but it's way to thin and feels *really* flimsy.

The screen is great (especially with some RealVGA loving :() and the aGPS quickly found a lock outside my house, just about holding it when i when back in.

Personally I love the QWERTY format and was a massive fan of the Treo 750v. Could this be the device to pull me away from my Kaiser permanently?!

Fire away with any questions or comments!

I know it'll take a few days to get a good idea but I'd be very interested in finding out how the batter life is on this thing. (and no you can't count the 2nd battery :D )

Edited by Guest

I know it'll take a few days to get a good idea but I'd be very interested in finding out how the batter life is on this thing. (and no you can't count the 2nd battery :D )

Yep, I'd be interested on that one too.

Also, have you had any problems with running software on it due to the different resolution?

Guest T39andcounting

I read somewhere that this doesn't have anyway of doing a hard reset... only way to do this is to send it back to Orange/Samsung. can you confirm?

Also, does this have the standard SMS app, or is there any kind of threaded/chat SMS like the Treos?

Guest Monolithix

None yet other than Cameraware...*looks at Paul*. I actually have it realVGA'd and its pretty usable still. My standard install set is:

Cameraware3 (doesn't seem to work ... yet :D)

Palringo

Google Maps

Google Search Bar

Windows Live Services (great for quick lightweight satnav!)

Resco Explorer (with registry and ftp plugins)

Netfront browser

vTap

vxUtil

WMwifirouter

I'll try Hexic later and see how that copes...

Battery seems ok so far, i was concerned at one stage that it had quickly dropped to 50%, but it's been there for ages so it may be a bug of some sort...

Guest Agamemnon

Hello,

Well, I'd been the VERY happy owner of an i600 for about a year when this i780 came up with the very appealing GPS and touch screen...

I don't have a car so a GPS on a cellphone is ideal so not to carry an extra bag of GPS, power adapter, plastic thing and so on...

Unfortunatly, although the sebsite boasts the T9 predictive writing, I was very disappointed only to find the automatique help thing which is lousy and terribly slow if you want to select a word... The T9 of the i600, specially with accentuated words (é, è, à, û) was perfect for quick writing, even sophisticated emails !

I thought that wm6 came automatically with T9, even with full keyboards ?! I called the Samsung hotline, at first they told me where to look then said it wasn't a feature the telephone has although otherwise indicated on the website !!

Anyone has noticed same prob ?

Will perhaps come up with some pros if I can fix this bug !! :D

Thanks,

Guest Monolithix

No T9 here, and the only Professional device i've seen with t9 is the Asus P750 as it has a 0-9 keypad. Each to their own and that, but why not just type out words normally? I think i type faster that way personally... :D

Guest Agamemnon

Well, there's T9 on I600 wm5, also if you upgrade to wm6...

There's T9 on the htc touch dual...

For instance, to type in french rêverie, with t9, I type r-e-v then it will suggest the word with proper spelling... With the darn I780, I have to type r-e-KEY-KEY-KEY-v-e-r-i-e...

KEY being that âë key on the bottom left handside of the keyboard...

Also, if you prefer the old way, you can disable the T9... But at least you have the choice ! I cannot understand these downgrades ! Where they fed up paying the t9 licence ??? COnsidering the money we pay, I expect to get at least as good as previous software version ! Not to remove good features !

Guest Monolithix

Ah, the Touch Dual you're talking about i assume is the 0-9 key version? Also remember the i600 runs WinMo Standard (and i'm as yet to have come across a Standard device without t9), while the i780 runs WinMo Professional. It would seem the QWERTY professional devices have no t9 i'm afraid!

Guest Agamemnon

Nope, the 20 key model... T9 is a killer application ! really boosts the writing !

Well, I suppose that if professional means less usefull productivity functions, then it is professional ! I can't see how LESS professional the i600 was by having T9...

How could I downgrade to WinMo standard if it's better ???

Guest Monolithix

You can't unfortunately! And yeah, i think the fairly unanimous feeling is the Standard/Professional monikers are fairly meaningless!

I've just had a quick play and on mine words are added to the dictionary after they've been manually entered, including those with accented characters, are you not seeing this behaviour?

Guest Agamemnon
I've just had a quick play and on mine words are added to the dictionary after they've been manually entered, including those with accented characters, are you not seeing this behaviour?
There is a basic dictionnary, but it's not t9... It doesn't work properly at all ! What bothers me is they sell it having T9...

Anyone knows if that feature can be added ? I find it completely ridiculous they remove software like that !! I'm also surprised they didn't pick it up in reviews, but seems they never go beyond the form factor... :D/

Guest ekerbuddy
[teaser]
i780trimmed.jpg
Today I'm playing with the new(ish :D ) Samsung i780 from Orange. This Windows Mobile 6 Professional device sports a great 320x320 pixel touchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard. It's a features packed device and looks like it could be a winner, click through the jump for my first impressions, the full spec and to post your quesitons![/teaser]

The i780 rundown:

• 2.5" 320x320 touchscreen (flush with the casing!)
  • 256/128MB ROM/RAM
  • Tri-band GPRS/EDGE and single-band UMTS/HSDPA
  • Full QWERTY Keyboard
  • Wifi/BT/aGPS
  • 624MHz PXA310 Processor
  • 61x116x13mm
  • 120g
  • Touch sensitive "D-Pad"

Certainly not the smallest device on the market, clocking in slightly wider and taller than a TyTN II but notably thinner. The touch d-pad is a bit gimmicky unfortunately, it works but the default setting of a virtual mouse just isn't useful, and I quickly switched it to normal d-pad usage (swipe actions for u/d/l/r). Obviously there's a slide out (telescopic) stylus too, but it's way to thin and feels *really* flimsy.

The screen is great (especially with some RealVGA loving :( ) and the aGPS quickly found a lock outside my house, just about holding it when i when back in.

Personally I love the QWERTY format and was a massive fan of the Treo 750v. Could this be the device to pull me away from my Kaiser permanently?!

i have been using the device for about a week. I have already put my TYTN II up for sale becuase this does everything my TYTN II does except its much faster, thinner, lighter and I prefer the form factor. Battery life is also better even though battery is smaller. Mouse pad is a novelty which is interesting but not so practical. Biggest issue was the hard reset, but goto XDA-DEVELOPERS and I posted a solution (I didnt do the work on this).

Hi there,

I have the i780 too. I'm over the moon with it. Portsplitter makes tomtom 6 work fine, I've had wi-fi working, google maps and my pop3 e-mail accounts.

However, I can't see any indication on the Samsung website as to exactly which car charger works with this phone. Since I expect to use the GPS a lot, this is a pretty key add-on for me.

Can anyone advise me of exactly which model? Or can I just get any Samsung one?

Thanks!

PS, if anyone has anything they'd like me to try on the phone, pls go ahead and post it here.

Cheers.

Maxim

Edited by Guest

Guest Monolithix

Any compatible Samsung charger should work, just bear in mind though that they're bastards for introducing new chargers every year or worse. If you go into a phone shop and ask to check with the ones they have, the one that fits should be fine. :D

Guest adam2008

Hi there,

I am a new user of the I780 (and a win mob newbie) and have a couple of questions.

There are lots of phrases I use regularly. Back when I used a blackberry, you could enter text abbreviations that would result in the word or phrase being typed out (using an autocorrect function, I think)- for instance, I had mine set so if i typed "br," the pda would type out "Best regards,". Is this possible with this phone/WM 6.0? Huge time saver? Likewise, two spaces in a row (two presses of the space bar) would insert a period.

Is it possible to remap a key? The phone I have has a foreign letter underneath the 0+ key, so I need to press shift everything I want to insert a zero. Drives me crazy when using the phone.

Thanks a lot for any help!

Guest fastamir
Hi there,

I have the i780 too. I'm over the moon with it. Portsplitter makes tomtom 6 work fine, I've had wi-fi working, google maps and my pop3 e-mail accounts.

However, I can't see any indication on the Samsung website as to exactly which car charger works with this phone. Since I expect to use the GPS a lot, this is a pretty key add-on for me.

Can anyone advise me of exactly which model? Or can I just get any Samsung one?

Thanks!

PS, if anyone has anything they'd like me to try on the phone, pls go ahead and post it here.

Cheers.

Maxim

Hi

I've just got the i780 on the basis that I could use satnav on it.

What is portsplitter and where can I get it, also where can I get tomtom 6.0

Also did you have to buy an external gps device to use satnav, as yet again I have been informed that you have to.

Sorry for the daft questions but I am new to Windows Mobiles / PDAS

Last what is the difference between gps and agps and what the hell is gprs authentication??? what is all this about :D

I just wanted a mobi to to use satnav so that i didnt have to buy a seperate satnav device!!!!

PLEASE HELP AM DROWNING IN THIS HIGH TECH LINGO :(

Can you please reply ASAP as this is doing my head in.

Thank you

fastamir

Guest Monolithix

Hi fastamir, welcome to the site.

The i780 has a GPS receiver built in, so you you certainly do not need a seperate external one. I've not tried TomTom but in theory you *shouldn't* need additional software to use it. TT6 is a little dated so you may also want to check out Copilot 7 (great) or Route 66 (cheap).

AGPS is Assisted GPS, which uses cell information to speed up the time to get a lock. GPRS authentication you don't need to worry about :D

HTH!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ruffruff

Hi Chris,

Do you happen to have the IMG file for I780_DXHD1 or I780_DXHC1?

Or, are you able to convert to raw files into workable bin files for the radio and rom?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.