What is JZ SmartMort for?
The software is meant for SmartPhones and Pocket PC devices running Windows Mobile 2003, 5, 6, 6.1 & 6.5 using Mort's free application MortScript (link #1 & included in CAB) installed as the macro engine mapped to hardware buttons. Most prominent features of the software are the multi-browser/default browser abilities, as well as, copy/paste/clipboard-history. Please make sure check out the Help sections right in the software menus for detailed clarifications.
Browsing: Opera Mini (link #3) is free, some sites look and feel better using Opera Mini, so I wanted to make it a system level browser with the option to revert to IE as needed (link #4). Support for Opera Mobile (link #5), NetFront 3.5 (link #7), Skyfire (link #8), Iris (link #9), UCWEB (link #11), BOLT Browser (link #12) and jB5 Browser (link #13). The software allows for managing a default browser while having many different browsers installed. On PocketPC ONLY (touchscreen), MortButtons (v2.4 & above) can be used as the GUI of JZ Browser script when a link/URL is clicked (link #10).
URL Exclusions: URL Exclusions allows user to always open a certain top-level domain name with a specific browser. So even if the URL consists of a huge string, top-level domain is stripped and compared against URL Exclusions. Example: http://google.com/somedir/somefile.htm
is diffent from http://www.google.co.../something.html
, and using URL exclusions, all google.com URLs will automatically be openned with a specific browser of choice. Static browser assigned for a top-level domain name.
Hardware Button Mapping: Three different Pocket PC & two different SmartPhone methods for mapping buttons. Check the Help file right under JZ Settings for further information.
Navigation: FakeCursor embedded to assist SmartPhones run such advanced applications like TaskMgr, even though it's only made for a PPC. Map a button to JZ Action script for the best user experience.
Copy/Paste: using Vito CopyPaste or any of the other method available in the software (MortScript based keyboard shortcuts) (link #2).
Clipboard & URL History: Added ability to select from a list of the last items copied to the clipboard.
IE Favorites: Ability to open Internet Explorer (ActiveSynced Favorites), located under \Windows\Favorites, with any web browser that you have installed. Choose from three different methods of opening "Favorites"; this is for speed purposes considering different devices and amount of favorites in folder.
Java: Esmertec JBed (link #6) has specific and advanced support in JZ SmartMort.
Activation: JZ SmartMort comes with a self installer/remover. Once JZ SmartMort CAB is installed, it will check if MortScript is properly installed, if not, it will attempt to install MortScript automatically. The only feature which will self-activate is JZ Browser, all other features will need to be manually activated by running the JZ Settings. If you get an error then you need to verify that you have MortScript installed.
Troubleshooting: Ability to check your JBed health. Also provide a way to fix what Opera Mobile 9 messes up (URL, HTML, ICONS, etc.)
JZ SmartMort works perfectly on my HTC Fuze (Diamond Touch Pro), HTC StarTrek (3125), HTC Kaiser (Tilt), HTC Wizard (8525) & BlackJack II. I also test on WM2003, WM5, WM6 and WM6.1 emulator ROMs from Microsoft.
I use my software every day and I designed it to be the missing link of Windows Mobile. The point was to try to find a workaround for anything WM is missing. Please make suggestions if you think something is worthwhile or if I messed something up.
1. Use the CAB file to install JZ SmartMort.
2. If installation of JZ SmartMort errors out (because it's not certified & usually on SmartPhones) the best application unlock tool is this standalone utility: http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=151
3. Mort has allowed me to distribute his FREE MortScript, when you install JZ SmartMort it will place Mort's CAB files in the "MortScript Installs" folder, found underneath your JZ install location. If MortScript is not installed, after JZ SmartMort CAB file installs, installation of MortScript for your appropriate device will begin. When uninstalling, JZ Browser will deactivate itself and restore Microsoft default settings. If JZ SmartMort is not removing properly, let it overwrite by answering "continue installing" when prompted.
4. Under the Start Menu you will find "JZ Settings" shortcut, which can activate/deactivate all JZ SmartMort features. Activation of JZ Browser functionality will happen during installation of the CAB.
- The JZ Browser activator will allow for http/https links, as well as, .url/.html files (links/favorites transferred through ActiveSync) to be opened with Opera Mini, Opera Mobile, NetFront 3.5, Skyfire, Iris, UCWEB or IE.
- The JZ Button activator will allow mapping of any command or JZ feature to a hardware button and used for copying, pasting and all else.
5. If you don't have it yet, you should. Phone will need to be application unlocked like in step 2. Get JBed from here:
6. Get Opera Mini
- To use Opera Mini 3.1, 4 or 4.1 you must download and install the files. Do not use "Opera Mini plus JBed CAB files" because they have drawbacks. Just install the JAR/JAD file yourself by surfing to operamini.com from your device or the PC. Once installed, opening Opera Mini manually then click a link on the welcome screen to go to a site, this will you pass through all initial screens as they get in the way of the macros. Leave all defaults otherwise. You can create shortcuts for Opera Mini using JZ Settings.
7. On touchscreen PocketPC devices, MortButtons (v2.4 & above) can be used as the GUI of JZ Browser script when a link/URL is clicked. Way to download is provided in the software if PocketPC is sensed.
8. SKTools does the best job at uninstalling the CAB. PocketMechanic and MemMaid can also be attempted.
Functions of the software:
1. The CAB installation will initialize JZ Browser as the default on the device. IE or Opera Mobile will no longer be used as the default system browser.
2. A great way to use JZ SmartMort is to map a hardware button to JZ Action or JZ Browser. Many advanced button mapping functions are available in the software.
3. Under the main JZ Action menu
- "Open ScratchPad" will allow user to jot something down quickly and it will be stored in the clipboard so it can be pasted later.
- "Open Selection with Browser Script" (supports many mainstream browsers running side by side and allows to have a default browser designated).
- "Clipboard / URL history" will allow user to select older items from the clipboard.
- "Clipboard Tools (Copy/Paste/Select-All)" (allows you to select a few ways of copying, pasting & select-all then copying) includes ability to run the embedded Vito CopyPaste software, select with cursor & copy to the clipboard (it will ask how many seconds to allow cursor selection)
- "Open Favorites" (Change the Favorites opening method under JZ Settings > JZ Misc. Options.)
- "Communications Manager" toggles hardware devices and connectivity like bluetooth, wifi and cellular data connections.
- "Kill Processes" displays a full process list allowing the user to kill the executables.
- "Open JBed Application List" will let you choose which Java app to run without going into JBed first.
- "Soft-Reset the Device", "Rotate Screen", "Run FakeCursor" & "Help"
4. When doing "Open selection with browser script", "Open Favorites" or running a .url file from explorer, the second script which handles browser logic is called with the URL passed to it. The URL is copied to the clipboard and available in the Clipboard / URL History.
5. JZ Browser handler script is enabled during the installation at which point http/https links & .url file extensions to be opened with JZ Browser script. Either run a .url/.html file manually or use "Open Favorites" using JZ Action menu.
6. The browser handler script allows you to open a URL in Opera Mini (3, 4 & 5), Opera Mobile (8 & 9), NetFront 3.5, Skyfire, Iris, UCWEB, BOLT, jB5 & IE or copy the URL to the clipboard.
- On touchscreen PocketPC devices, JZ Browser script can use MortButtons for a beautiful/touch-friendly GUI when selecting which browser to open a link/URL with.
- You can change the default browser, as well as, how long JZ Browser script prompts to choose a browser before launching the "Default Browser".
- URL Exclusions is a feature which allows the user to default a static browser to a top-level domain. Even if the URL is long, the top-level is detected and compared against user exclusions, if an entry exists, then the URL will be openned with the designated/static browser.
- Browser script will look for Opera Mini in this order, any will work: 4.2 --> 4.1 --> 4.0 --> 3.1 --> 4.2 beta --> 4.1 beta. Version 5 is detected separately.
- Opera Mini control: multiple paste methods, adjust trim units, use different methods to pop the Opera Mini URL input screen and ability to enable/disable "Auto-Complete Address Input
- Ability to create the Opera Mini and any other JBed application shortcut on your Start Menu.
- Oliver Koetter (owilsky) for his great suggestions and web space for the project.
- matteandhue for helping me with this fun project. I would have only "minor" enhancements without your effort and dedication!
- bsw11 for the MortButtons idea and other inventive ideas!
- sto-helit/Mirko without whom I would simply not code for Windows Mobile!
- Menneisyys for finding the Mort solution and documenting with such passion.
- badbob001 for taking my code to the next level with your foresight.
- Sneeuwtijger for helping me test and troubleshoot.
- bengalih for having the right answer for me every time with Mort questions.
1. Mort's FREE MortScript Site for PPCs & SmartPhones http://www.sto-helit....st&category=17
2. Mort Copy/Paste by gpcarreon, another guy like me who just needed a tool http://www.gpcarreon.com/?p=471
3. Opera Mini http://www.operamini.com/download
4. Browser code for Opera Mini in a forum http://www.howardfor....1283853-1.html
5. Opera Mobile http://www.opera.com/products/mobile http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=401643
6. JBed Java Midlet http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=407667 http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=370786 http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=384881 http://www.pocketpcm...?q=blogs/3/2266 http://www.winmobile....tyAndMain.html http://www.winmobile...tBible/Jbed.zip
7. Access NetFront 3.5 Browser https://www.access.c...form.php?type=4
8. Skyfire Browser http://www.skyfire.com
9. Torch Mobile Iris Browser http://www.torchmobile.com http://rapidshare.co....wser-1.1.9.cab
10. MortButtons http://www.sto-helit....ns&action=list
11. UCWEB Browser http://www.ucweb.com...bile_list.shtml
Click DOPOD on the left, those are re-branded HTC phones.
Or you can go to http://wap.ucweb.com
right from your phone.
12. BOLT Browser http://boltbrowser.com/download.html
13. jB5 Browser http://jataayu.net/j...p?q=downloadmgr
I am not responsible for anything. If you can't do it yourself, get somebody who can. I also don't care what the hell you do with any of this content. I mostly made it for my own use anyway, just trying to pay back the community. I did re-use and modify/optimize other people's code, so I am crediting them with a Links section which should contain everything I used to figure out how to do this correctly.
1. Launching IE shortcuts leads to the JZ Browser script popping, workaround is to Patch IE Icon under JZ Settings > JZ Browser > Internet Explorer Options.
2. Clipboard history is limited to 1024 characters, but Windows Mobile limit is 16384 so be careful. Storing clips in the registry now and 1024 is the limit. If enough people say something, I could use a file rather than registry to store clipboard content, but then there's always the 16384 limit.
3. New version of HTC Task Manager 2.1.37385 and Manila 3D (TouchFlo 3D 1.2.35348) stops the MortScript popups from going to the background. Found this by upgrading to the Fuze leaked ROM which happens to update those two applications.
v1.6 *** 2009-10-31
- JZ Browser: Resco Explorer, Total Commander & File Explorer can be used as JZ Browser GUI when a link/URL is clicked. The GUI will be killed after URL is opened (option exists to do opposite) but the last folder location will be remembered.
- JZ Browser: including a new .Net executable to trigger JZ Browser. The use is for programs like Barcorama that require just an EXE to which Barcorama passes a URL parameter. Passing parameters to MortScript is not like most other programs expect to do, hence this inclusion. The new EXE is called JZBrowserRun.exe and is located in the JZ folder.
- JZ Browser: Ability to register JZBrowser with my new .Net EXE instead of the long MortScript command. Under JZSettings > Browser > Activate JZBrowser with EXE
- JZ Browser: Opera Mini 5 beta support added. Also added Start Menu icon creation for Opera Mini 5. Tested on PocketPC and SmartPhones.
- JZ Browser: Opera Mobile 9.7b1, the new version from the official web site. If both 9.7b1 and 9.5.x are installed, they will be treated separately.
- JZ Browser: BOLT Browser (JBed Java-based - tested with PPC & SmartPhones versions 0.86, 0.94, 1.04 & 1.5). Also added Start Menu icon creation for BOLT.
- JZ Browser: jB5 Browser version 5.0.117 for PocketPC and SmartPhones.
- JZ Browser: new Skyfire 1.0.0.xxxxx versions were verified.
- JZ Browser: new UCWeb 7.0beta1 was verified.
- JZ Browser: Users can create JZ Browser shortcut with specific browser and URL defined. Also with just a URL defined which pops JZ Browser.
- Added AppToDate support allowing for easy JZ SmartMort updates over the air.
- WM 6.5 was fully tested on VGA and QVGA devices. Initially WM 6.5 did not work properly because it has more color depth causing Opera Mini and BOLT Browser color recognition not to work due to math rounding of the color.
- Opera Mini: better full-screen support for all colors schemes of Opera Mini.
- Opera Mini: removed ChangeIME setting from Opera Mini due to liability of messing with device keyboard drivers
- JBed: Smarter decision of whether OperaMini or Bolt is running in JBed. Kill JBed option removed from browser options.
- JBed: Added a tweak to allow users to change the JBed Java font size.
- JBed: Permanent patch to stop JBed from confirming security prompts.
- MortScript: version 4.3b15 for PocketPC and SmartPhones is included in the CAB. For compatibility reasons & other benefits MortScript will be forced to upgrade if the installed version is too old.
- Phone-Specific: button hacking for Samsung Jack (i637). Ability to re-map MediaNet and AT&T Navigator buttons.
- Phone-Specific: Long EndKey button remap for the HTC Fuze. Should work for other devices that use \Windows\EndKey.exe as well.
- JZ Action: Clipboard Monitor is now always running. Every 15 seconds it will detect if new content is in the clipboard and make it available in Clipboard History. No visible battery drainage was noticed.
- JZ Action: new option to Submit to Search Engine, which will submit the clipboard contents to a popular search engine and run JZ Browser with that URL.
- JZ Action: Communications Manager toggle switches that allow the user turn on and off the BlueTooth, BT Audio, Wireless and Cellular-Data (like NoData).
- New Start Menu shortcut for fast Wifi-Data toggle. Wifi turns on and all Cellular-Data connections turn off (and vice-versa). Shortcut easily maps to a hardware key.
- Direct Start Menu shortcuts for JZ SmartMort so that AE Buttons Plus (which can't parse LNK files like Windows can) is able to work correctly with JZ SmartMort.
- Touch-friendly navigation; users can modify menu sizes of JZAction & JZBrowser to suit different eye vision.
- Tweaks/Hacks: Tethering hack for AT&T and other carriers, Kaiser Tweak, better JBed troubleshooting, disabling startup animations & sounds and SafeInboxExtender added.
- Tweaks/Hacks: Manila (TouchFlo) 3D v1.x and v2.x Internet Tab hacking. Change default browser plus the banner URL/label. Change the search engine on Manila 2.5 version. v1.5 *** 2008-12-27
- On touchscreen PocketPC devices, MortButtons (v2.4 & above) can be used as the GUI of JZ Browser script when a link/URL is clicked.
- Opera Mini 4.2 final & beta. Works with any color of skin available in Opera Mini 4.2. Uninstall the older 4.0 or 4.1 versions for JZ Browser to start using the new 4.2 version.
- Skyfire version 0.85.7927 and 0.85.8184 were released. Support for both, OLD and NEW versions of Skyfire.
- UCWeb Browser support added for versions 5.x & 6.x Windows Mobile CAB ONLY (not the Java based version offered at UCWeb). If both 5.x & 6.x versions are installed, version 6.x will be the one used.
- URL Exclusions is a feature which allows the user to default a static browser to a top-level domain. Even if the URL is long, the top-level is detected and compared against user exclusions, if an entry exists, then the URL will be opened with the designated/static browser.
- New uninstall logic which will disable JZ Browser when user uninstalls.
- Added Phone-Specific tweaks/hacks for AT&T HTC Fuze.
- Added Rotate Screen option to the Action script.
- Changed some defaults: Opera Mini will not kill JBed.exe, LeftSoftKey is used as the URL Open Method & Favorites now uses File Explorer instead of MortScript file browser. v1.4.3 *** 2008-10-05
- Skyfire new version 0.80.6883 was released. Added support for both, OLD and NEW versions of Skyfire. Legacy options will show if OLD version of Skyfire is detected.
- After JZ SmartMort CAB finishes installing, JZ Browser functionality will automatically be activated and browsers will be detected. If MortScript is not present, it will also be installed, then MortScript CAB files will be removed, removing 400KB.
- Opera Mini enhancement consisting of short sleep commands between each backspace that deletes "www." in the Opera Mini address box. Affects some users with slower responding keyboards in JBed.
- Enhancement to FakeCursor code to allow using the powerful TaskMgr on SmartPhones even though it's only made to work on a PPC. FakeCursor function now takes the user back to the window title before FakeCursor logic was ran. v1.4.2 *** 2008-09-21
- Added support for Torch Mobile's Iris Browser.
- Added support for Skyfire SmartPhone edition and modified Skyfire PPC pixel seeking logic when bar is shown and hidden.
- Added multiple Skyfire paste & open URL methods.
- Separated versions of Opera Mobile 8 & 9. Users can have both installed on the device and detected separately by JZ SmartMort.
- IME keyboard driver manipulation for Opera Mini to help pasting in some cases.
- Added option to Pin Last Used Browser as Default. JZ SmartMort will use the last selected browser and set that browser as default for the next time JZ Browser script is opened.
- Added FakeCursor to allow SmartPhone users ability to use more PPC geared applications.
- Added partial JZ SmartMort resets rather than the previously available full reset.
- Added BlackJack II button mapping for the updated WM 6.1 ROM. Both WM 6.0 & 6.1 OS versions are supported for button mapping on BJII. v1.4.1 *** 2008-07-19
- Opera Mobile 9.51b (beta) is fully supported. Lots of redundant checks ot see if Opera Mobile is present on the device.
- JZ SmartMort CAB now attempts to install MortScript if MortScript is not already installed.
- The CAB file became even larger but with benefit because it will also remove CAB files which JZ SmartMort installs but does not need, saving about 250KB of space and making the JZ SmartMort installation about 500KB after the clean-up.
- CAB uninstalls removed JZ SmartMort settings, this no longer occur and settings will be left for the new JZ SmartMort version to use. v1.4 *** 2008-07-07
- Created help files.
- Browser: Skyfire fully compatible now, new scan/detection with fail-over paths (if browsers references don't exist in the usual locations like the registry). If default browser timeout is set to zero, the JZ Browser prompt will be bypassed entirely.
- Opera Mini: full-screen, kill JBed option, multiple URL & pasting options.
- Lots of new options for button mapping. All known registry and link file button hacks now integrated to allow virtually any command to be called up. Also provides ability to create a CUSTOM link file from scratch.
- Changed menus to include menu-returns for easy navigation and better user friendliness. Added letters to Action menu as qwerty keyboard shortcuts.
- Phone-specific menu under JZ Settings which expands button mapping for BlackJack II (Samsung i617) CV/MediaNet buttons, as well as, AT&T Tilt (HTC Kaiser) PTT & Long-PTT buttons. More will be added.
- Creation of Start Menu shortcuts & opening of JBed applications w/o needing to open JBed first.
- 3 different methods under JZ Settings > JZ Misc. Options for opening Favorites. Save a Favorite from the JZ Browser script when you pop a link.
- Incorporated VitoCopyPaste with a timeout to return your directional pad action button back to normal.
- Various speed & optimization considerations incorporated.
- Function to deal with MortScript losing focus (e.g. when Home is pressed while Mort choice menu is running). THE REST CAN BE SEEN IN THE README FILE AFTER INSTALLING THE CAB OR ON SOURCEFORGE (limited post size on XDA) Initial v1.0 *** 2008-03-30