Charge battery with USB cable

Guest dolpher

My battery doesn't charge when connected to the PC with the USB cable.

Is that standard on this phone?

/Christian

Mine doesn't either and I only just realised. That is really annoying...

Is there some special kind of USB cable available that will both sync and charge? It seems rather odd that it should fail to charge the phone because the icon on the screen gives the impression it is charging...

Guest shodanjr_gr
Mine doesn't either and I only just realised. That is really annoying...

Is there some special kind of USB cable available that will both sync and charge? It seems rather odd that it should fail to charge the phone because the icon on the screen gives the impression it is charging...

The Synch and Charge cable that comes with the Greek version of the phone does actually both synch AND charge. Tested it yesterday night, plugging the phone with 60% battery and removing it with the battery at 100% this morning. Maybe you are using a laptop PC that does supply enough juice to the USB ports?

Guest dolpher
The Synch and Charge cable that comes with the Greek version of the phone does actually both synch AND charge. Tested it yesterday night, plugging the phone with 60% battery and removing it with the battery at 100% this morning. Maybe you are using a laptop PC that does supply enough juice to the USB ports?

No...I'm doing it from a desktop PC, where I the last couple of years have sync'ed and charged my HTC phone.

Guest panagiog

Confirm too (from Greece)

Guest Confucious
No...I'm doing it from a desktop PC, where I the last couple of years have sync'ed and charged my HTC phone.

So ActiveSync is working? You can Sync OK just not charge?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dolpher
So ActiveSync is working? You can Sync OK just not charge?

That is right. It looks like it is charging, but when it is diconnected there is no juice on the battery.

Guest Confucious

It sounds like it's trying to charge but not getting enough power - is the screen on when you try or have you tried leaving it overnight with the screen off?

Guest dolpher
It sounds like it's trying to charge but not getting enough power - is the screen on when you try or have you tried leaving it overnight with the screen off?

When connected with the USB the screen is on and ofcourse the background light is turned on when i touch the screen or othervise use the phone while connected.

So what you are saying is the my computer might not put out enough power through the USB to charge the battery.

Question: Does your phone charge when connected, but while the phone is turned off? Mine does connected to the power adapter....but not when connected with the USB.

Guest Confucious

The mains charger produces more power than USB. I tend to leave my phone plugged in to USB while at work - but I have an Athena not a BJ. USB does not charge my Athena up with the screen on but holds it steady - unless I'm using HSDPA in which case it will drain the battery even while plugged into USB. With the screen off USB will charge the phone but a lot slower than the mains charger.

HTH

Guest dolpher
The mains charger produces more power than USB. I tend to leave my phone plugged in to USB while at work - but I have an Athena not a BJ. USB does not charge my Athena up with the screen on but holds it steady - unless I'm using HSDPA in which case it will drain the battery even while plugged into USB. With the screen off USB will charge the phone but a lot slower than the mains charger.

HTH

Thanks......I think I need one more power adapter :-D

Guest matt1971
That is right. It looks like it is charging, but when it is diconnected there is no juice on the battery.

Had exactly the same problem with my HTC Tilt and Universal

In the past I used a company called boxwave. I tried different cables from different manufacturers but it was only boxwave that produced a retractable sync n charge cable that charged during syncing.

I have emailed them to see if they plan to support the i780 (they do lots of accessories for the i760 here http://www.boxwave.com/products/easyfinder...ories_2923.htm) so hopefully soon.

Might try plugging the sync cable into a USB car charging adaptor to see if it charges in the car.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dolpher
I have te same problem, I just ordered this cable - i will update if works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N:IT&ih=014

to me it looks more like a defect in i780 firmware....

A solution is to turn the screen off while charging. The phone is by standard while charging set to have the screen on, but without the backlight and it uses to much power.

Guest tonijj

Just gotta report that I have the same issue!! Never had this problem before with any WM devices. I always hook up my ETEN X800 and let it sync at the office and everytime I unplug it, its 100% charged.

Not only have Samsung NOT used the mini -usb (which is incredible stupid!!) but now we cant charge via a usb cable??

It just has to be a firmware bug, the USB cable ought to provide enough juicy....if anyone finds a solution, tell us!!

Guest matt1971

I tried the sync cable connected via a USB car charger adaptor in the car.

The red light comes on but turns off almost immediately - so the sync cable wont charge in the car.

Thinking out loud - I wonder if the sync cable connected to the battery charger box (the one that charges the battery outside of the phone) would work in the car?

It would be a hassle to swop over batteries, but if it works, I would always have a spare fully charged battery.

Matt

Guest Audio Morphology

I just fell foul of this with an i780 - I took the phone, spare battery, battery case & USB cable on a recent trip to Germany. I also took the USB charger that came with my old Blackberry, thinking "USB is USB, isn't it?, so I'll plug in the cable and Go".

No such luck. It wouldn't charge either the phone OR the battery via the supplied USB cable. Cr*p battery life meant I ran out of juice on day 3 of a 4-Day trip.

I'm very interested in these so-called Greek USB cables - can anyone confirm they make a difference?

AM.

I tried the sync cable connected via a USB car charger adaptor in the car.

The red light comes on but turns off almost immediately - so the sync cable wont charge in the car.

Thinking out loud - I wonder if the sync cable connected to the battery charger box (the one that charges the battery outside of the phone) would work in the car?

It would be a hassle to swop over batteries, but if it works, I would always have a spare fully charged battery.

Matt

Guest Goofy07
The cable just arrived last night - I confirm that it charges my device effectively....

And does it charge your battery when the battery in in het battery charger?

Guest Ofir Daniel
And does it charge your battery when the battery in in het battery charger?

What do you mean?

This is a USB cable that carges my phone once connected to USB

Guest Goofy07
What do you mean?

This is a USB cable that carges my phone once connected to USB

I mean if you hook up the usb cable to the separate docking station for the spare battery. My USB cable will charge the phone but will not charge the spare battery

Guest Ofir Daniel
I mean if you hook up the usb cable to the separate docking station for the spare battery. My USB cable will charge the phone but will not charge the spare battery

I don;t have one to check....:-)

but the funny thing is that this cable ONLY charges and DOES NOT sync...funny

• 1 month later...
Guest roodyhoo

I've had problems with this too. I reckon the phone doesn't charge over USB because the screen is always on (as mentioned in this post earlier) when connected to active sync. Thing is, if you turn the screen off (using power button) then the phone disconnects from active sync and stops charging! It's a no win situation.

I've got round this by installing a programme called ActiveSyncToggle on the PC. It allows you enable/disable active sync. With active sync disabled the phone will charge over USB because the screen dosn't come on when connected to the computer. Of course, the phone dons't sync, but for me that's not an issue as i prefer to sync over GPRS anyway....

Hopefully some of you guys will find this useful.