3 your TyTn

Guest AllyMacca

Guest AllyMacca

Hi,

I'm sure some of you will already know but "3" will be stocking the Htc TyTn as of next week. It is the HTC branded model, although I expect 3 will put some of there software on it. But as a rule they are not as crazy with it as Orange or T-mobile.

Prices for the handset to be free will be from £30pm for mix and match 300

You all know 3 has the cheapest date rates of all the networks and the most expansive 3g coverage.

Guest dolbe666
Hi,

I'm sure some of you will already know but "3" will be stocking the Htc TyTn as of next week. It is the HTC branded model, although I expect 3 will put some of there software on it. But as a rule they are not as crazy with it as Orange or T-mobile.

Prices for the handset to be free will be from £30pm for mix and match 300

You all know 3 has the cheapest date rates of all the networks and the most expansive 3g coverage.

3 have the worse reputation out of all the networks for network coverage. most of the time you are moved to a roaming network with lower data speeds. as for branding, t-mobile has left the vario III almost exactly as the tytn II was when released by HTC

Is it me or does your post look more like an advertisement than a factual post? it happens that this is your first post on this site and you are posting about 3 and their network. do you work for 3?

Guest andrewkeith5

to be honest, i can't see 3 ever stocking windows mobile devices

well...touchscreen ones at least

3 are very much a "look, heres what we want you to think is the best phone you can get. you can have it for thi ridiculously low price ifyou sign up today" company. i'm not sure theyre the sort of network that target at people who generally know what they're talking about, like windows mobile professional users

maybe as WM gets more consumer orientated, then 3 may stock some of the standard/smartphone WM phones, but as they aren't a business network, I don't think they'll be in that much of a hurry to "go pro", at least in the uk anyway

oh....and I really, really, really, hope that they aren't just about to stock the tytn....the TyTN II is getting a tad on the mature side now...

Guest stevej26uk

In defence of the original poster he is correct three are to start selling the tytn 2, its not showing on the website yet but it is in there latest brochure, about time three offered a winmo device, although I would have expected them to have a bigger range than just the tytn2.

Have to admit though op you do sound like you work for three lol

Guest Webreaper
In defence of the original poster he is correct three are to start selling the tytn 2, its not showing on the website yet but it is in there latest brochure, about time three offered a winmo device, although I would have expected them to have a bigger range than just the tytn2.

Have to admit though op you do sound like you work for three lol

Paul (MVP) - can you look up the IP/email of this user and see if it's from within the 3 network? :D

Guest stevej26uk
Paul (MVP) - can you look up the IP/email of this user and see if it's from within the 3 network? :D

:(  That's a bit extreme, but hey yeah paul go ahead and check.

I can assure you I neither work for 3 or own any 3 product (happy tmobile customer !)

Happened to read the original post thought like yourself it was strange that three would suddenly start offering the tytn 2, so did some investigation and sure enough according to the brochure in my local three shop the tytn 2 is on its way to three.Do I agree with OP view that they have the best 3g and data network the answer is no.

Felt it was rather harsh the way you simply dismissed the idea.

Guest AllyMacca

Hey,

Yeah I do work for 3 but my post was not an advertisment, else I would of quoted numerous prices and offered you all some s*** hot deal. 3 are in the process of changing there business proposition and the TyTn is the first of a new series of handsets.

3 when the network was first created had alot of issues mainly down to the roaming agreement with o2 but that is not what I came here for, or to talk about how they HAVE the largest and most expansive 3g coverage.

I have been wanting this handset myself for a while now and I know T-mobile and Orange in my area have alot of issues. Stock arrived in store today and I'm just about to start playing about with one before I take out my own contract.

I find it funny how you can all question the 3g coverage though, no other network has 90% 3G coverage.

Thanks for a good laugh though guys, your ignorance has made my day. hehe.

Guest Neil5459

Its good news that 3 are now releasing a WM model- and a good one at that :D

The coverage issue is a tricky one. All the carriers, including 3 quote by population coverage, not geographical availability, and 90% coverage leaves vast areas of the country without a 3 signal. With 3, no 3G means no signal at all; the roaming agreements do give some voice cover, but in a lot of cases this doesn't include data.

I do use a 3 PAYG SIM for the excellent monthly web bolt-on, and in those areas with a good signal, it is very, very good. But in areas where there is no 3 signal, I get nothing.

Hopefully the tie-in with T-Mobile should assist in coverage. Are 3 going to start using T-Mo as a roaming partner do you know?

Hey,

Yeah I do work for 3 but my post was not an advertisment, else I would of quoted numerous prices and offered you all some s*** hot deal. 3 are in the process of changing there business proposition and the TyTn is the first of a new series of handsets.

3 when the network was first created had alot of issues mainly down to the roaming agreement with o2 but that is not what I came here for, or to talk about how they HAVE the largest and most expansive 3g coverage.

I have been wanting this handset myself for a while now and I know T-mobile and Orange in my area have alot of issues. Stock arrived in store today and I'm just about to start playing about with one before I take out my own contract.

I find it funny how you can all question the 3g coverage though, no other network has 90% 3G coverage.

90% 3G coverage - as you put it - is just a figure. Doesn't mean anything in the real world. And you'll find no shortage of posts on Modaco and over on Mobiholics too about problems with 3's 3G service and 'roaming' to GSM/GPRS. In terms of 3G coverage I think you will find (I could be wrong here) that a large proportion of Modaco users are with T-Mobile for their Web n Walk package and (myself included) don't have many (if not any) issues with their coverage. As with everything else mobile related - it's horses for courses. Coverage can vary wildly depending on where you live/work etc. It's all very well stating '90% coverage' but in reality that means diddly squit. I will admit I was sceptical about your first post too and assumed you worked for 3. Well, most people were right so I'd hardly call it ignorance - more like good judgement! :D

Guest AllyMacca

Yeah, 3 will be using t-moile and vica versa. T-moble is better in some areas just like 3 is better in others. Nothing is going to happen until october I beleve. The two working together will be great for both companies. Were duplicate cites/coverage is, the masts will be redeployed in other areas. Things are only going to get better for both companies.

I've been playing around with this phone for an hour or so now. Does not seem to be very much 3 crap on it atall but i'm still going to follow what you guys have been saying.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Were duplicate cites/coverage is, the masts will be redeployed in other areas.

Seriously? Won't that *reduce* cell capacity for both networks? Meaning dropped calls / slow data / disconnections.

Where I am in Manchester 3's data speed is storming. At 3am when no-one else uses it.... during the day, with increased subscriber activity within the cell, it drops down a LOT.

If this duplication results in less overall cell capacity for the pooled customers of both networks how is it better?

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest shootydogthing

so then, 3 will have the EXACT same coverage as T-mobile? i'd rather have flext that a 3 plan, and in my experience with 3, rather than charging a fixed sum for a phone, it's either free or your forced to pay extra per month for the phone and video minutes or something, and there's not even an option to just pay upfront.

Guest BazzaS
Hey,

Considering the many knowledgable people using this site, do you think such comments as " your ignorance has made my day. hehe." appear mature?, and do you think they reflect well on 3 as a company, given that you have said you are a 3 employee? (Do they know that you are posting here, and saying here that you are a 3 employee?).

I have a MDA Vario III (Kaiser variant on T-mobile), and a 3 USB modem.

I'm currently living / working in an area that has no 3G signal on either T-mobile or 3.

At least I get GPRS/2G signal that is usable on T-mobile, while the 3 network's 2G roaming on Orange is unusable for data ..... (see Machstick's post of 7th March, currently at http://www.modaco.com/content-page/263671/...t-Help/page/40/ ), I get the same, stuck at 1kb on web-pages, while alternate ports e.g. 110/POP3 are working.

I have the same experience of 3's 1st line customer support. My experience on a number of occasions is that they don't understand data issues, and regurgitate inappropriate excuses that aren't based in reality. I can't comment on their 2nd line support as I've never been allowed to speak to 2nd line despite asking for calls to be escalated, and the promised call backs never materialise........

When in an area with 3G signal and things are working well, 3's data service seems fine. As ever, the difficulty arises whenever there is a problem!.

So, AllyMacca, why not demonstrate your knowledge and competence as a 3 employee, and show that you aren't just being arrogant when saying "Thanks for a good laugh though guys, your ignorance has made my day. hehe."

Let us know what is causing the issue with 3's data roaming on Orange, and either tell us when it is due to be resolved or what you are doing to get it fixed. Its been over a month so far, BTW.

Cheers,

Bazza.

Guest AllyMacca

Sorry to hear your having dropped calls, that really should not be happening to you. I checked the network status in the manchester area and two of the main masts are being upgraded and another has been down for over six weeks. This may be the reason why your having problems, I was unable to get a date for when everything will be resolved but I hope it won't be too long for you.

3 does not have a data agrement with Orange, so when browsing using Orange, you basically won't be able to do anything data related. Email will still be able to be downloaded but that is about it.

In regards to T-mobile and 3, there is to be capacity checks and were there is more than enough bandwidth available, masts will be relocated. 3 and T-mobile have setup a separate company to deal with all of this and I was unable to get further information.

Maybe my words did seem immature or the like but I don't appracite it when folk abuse the company i work for. 3 may have a bad reputation for network coverage but most of this came from when they had an aggrement with o2 were three customers suffered due too network capacity etc.

In future maybe you guys should treat others with a little respect and it will be shown back, asking the site owner to check were my ip comes from is a little overboard. I know my network may be the smallest at the moment but they did not do that bad a job with creating orange. 3 is still a very young company and it will take time for it to get a proper foothold in the market, so yeah it does offer some really cheap deals and the like.

One of you commented about not being able to buy a handset without the video pack, this is and has always been possible, usually at a much cheaper rate than other networks.

I would be happy to answer any questions you guys might have but less of the attitude and I will do my best for you.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
3 does not have a data agrement with Orange, so when browsing using Orange, you basically won't be able to do anything data related. Email will still be able to be downloaded but that is about it.

Really?

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/May2006/3040.htm

"Orange tendered the most competitive bid for the supply of voice, text and data services and has been selected as the preferred national roaming provider for 3 from the end of 2006.

The 3 network provides coverage for voice, text and 3G mobile media services to 88% of the UK population and the new agreement with Orange, which has 99% coverage for voice and text services, will ensure 3 customers continue to enjoy the national coverage that they are used to.

3 customers will continue to roam on O2, the current provider of national roaming to 3, until the transition phase commences in late 2006. Following the transition phase existing customers' handsets will select the Orange network in preference to O2, although they will still be able to roam onto O2. Going forward into 2007 all new customers will only roam onto the Orange network.

Bob Fuller, CEO 3 UK said: “Following a thorough and competitive process over the last eighteen months, I’m very pleased to announce that 3 has a new national roaming partner in the UK. It was important we had a competitive tender and I am delighted with the outcome of the process. This is a good agreement for both 3 and Orange and will ensure that we continue to offer a great service to our customers.”

Under the terms of the agreement, when 3 customers are outside areas covered by the 3 network they will seamlessly roam onto the Orange network, where they will be able to continue to make and receive voice calls, send and receive text and multi-media messages, and access GPRS data services.

"

So who's correct, you, or Orange and Three's press offices?.....

M.S

Guest shootydogthing
One of you commented about not being able to buy a handset without the video pack, this is and has always been possible, usually at a much cheaper rate than other network

Well when I was looking at 3 as a network, I couldn't find this option. I'm guessing 3 are pushing the video pack?

But for the sake of fairness, I'll go and look.

Over 18 months

T-Mobile: £20 a month, I get up to 170 minutes (if I don't text), an LG veiwty is £149

Three: £20 a month, 1100 minutes (I'll admit that's a lot better) and the lg veiwty is... £12 a month... with 120 video minutes. That's £216. And I can't see a "non-video-bundle" option anywhere

I do agree that at this price point 3 has more minutes etc, but oddly enough there's 21 and 24 pound plans with less minutes/texts. What the f*ck? However, t-Mobile offers higher priced plans for business people etc.

Guest BazzaS

See post above for why others think 3 roams on Orange for GPRS/2G access. My 3 SIM seems to roam on Orange when there is no 3G access if it is in the 3 USB modem, or an unlocked Tytyn or Kaiser...... are the 'preferred network' lists corrupted?

Assuming you were correct about browsing on Orange being e-mail only, how does it know when data is e-mail and that it should allow it?. Are you saying it allows SMTP, POP3, or both?. (And see my previous post about employees of 3 giving wrong information that isn't based in reality .....).

Maybe my words did seem immature or the like but I don't appracite it when folk abuse the company i work for. 3 may have a bad reputation for network coverage but most of this came from when they had an aggrement with o2 were three customers suffered due too network capacity etc.

In future maybe you guys should treat others with a little respect and it will be shown back, asking the site owner to check were my ip comes from is a little overboard.

It is hardly abuse to point out that:

a ) The roaming on Orange for data is 'broken',

b ) calls to 3 Customer Service produce replies such as "GPRS is too slow" (and now, from AllyMacca:) "3 doesn't roam on Orange for data", which are fallacious excuses for not accepting there is a problem.

I know my network may be the smallest at the moment but they did not do that bad a job with creating orange. 3 is still a very young company and it will take time for it to get a proper foothold in the market, so yeah it does offer some really cheap deals and the like.

One of you commented about not being able to buy a handset without the video pack, this is and has always been possible, usually at a much cheaper rate than other networks.

I would be happy to answer any questions you guys might have but less of the attitude and I will do my best for you.

3 may be cheap, but the fact that they cost less per month than T-mobile is hardly relevant when I can't use my 3 SIM in a non-3G area as the roaming for data is broken, whereas the T-mobile SIM provides GPRS access where there is no 3G T-mobile signal. This isn't "attitude", it is a statement of fact.

Without 'attitude', I'd like to ask some factual questions again:

i) Do you now accept that the 3 SIM should roam on Orange(2G) for data when there is no '3' 3G signal?.

ii) Assuming the answer to i) is 'yes', would it be better to ensure you are factually correct before making accusations of "attitude"?

iii) Assuming the answer to i) is 'yes', why isn't it working, and when will they fix it?.

Bazza.

Guest Webreaper
sking the site owner to check were my ip comes from is a little overboard.

I think the point here is that you should have mentioned that you work for 3 in the first place. There's nothing wrong with posting useful info, but why not mention your conflict of interest first - or put it in your profile?

The points mentioned have been valid - I know people who've worked for 3 and Voda, and point out that a lot of the 3 PR guff is just that - the service is flaky and unreliable ouside city centres. Which isn't such a bad thing - if you live in a city centre. Quoting figures of "90% 3G coverage" is all well and good, but needs quantifying - is that 90% of the UK population, 90% of the UK geographically or 90% of your coverage area supports 3G?

In terms of "abusing" you, I don't think it's abuse to question whether a post that blatantly sounds like an advert is actually coming from a neutral 3rd-party or an employee of the company. Remember, lots of people may have read your post and taking it as gospel, even though it's not been put into context. For example, the issue where 2G data roaming doesn't work on Orange is pretty serious. You've done the classic case of wading onto a bulletin board, making statements which can only be taken as official 3 positions, whilst being inaccurate, factually vague, and in some cases misleading. Plus, your spelling and grammar is appalling. :D

Your comment: "But as a rule they are not as crazy with it as Orange or T-mobile." implies that you are not working for 3 (otherwise you'd have said we. The comment: "You all know 3 has the cheapest date rates of all the networks and the most expansive 3g coverage". This is clearly misleading and unqualified, and to most peoples' definitions could be regarded as nonsense. So don't, then, be surprised when people question your neutrality and suggest that a check of your IP's source to see if you are a 3 employee is valid.

A word of advice - misguided and careless posts like yours can have a massively damaging effect on the company (If you want a couple of other examples of mis-thought-out PR by telecomms companies, check here and here) you should speak to your manager and find out about rules regarding this sort of thing. You may even find that posting on BBSes such as this may be prohibited (they certainly are at my company - all external communication has to go through a department which checks legality and accuracy before putting out any public statement against the company's name.

As for the orange issue, it's blatantly clear. If you look at the 3 coverage map it shows that you either get 3G, or voice+picture - but outside the 3G there is no mention of data coverage.

Edited by Webreaper

Guest mcwarre

Some people here need to take a chill pill :D

It doesn't matter whether the OP works for 3 or not - he was providing a good story about WM.

What's the issue about coverage? All companies use % of population to express coverage. If you want % of the country (i.e. the physical landmass) the only supplier is Airwave which you aren't entitled to use. Dear oh dear.......................

Guest BazzaS
As for the orange issue, it's blatantly clear. If you look at the 3 coverage map it shows that you either get 3G, or voice+picture - but outside the 3G there is no mention of data coverage.

Maybe neither blatant, nor clear. There is data coverage outside of 3G areas, otherwise why would 3 make it part of their T's & C's for their mobile broadband that they can limit 'excessive roaming'?.

If there was no roaming, they wouldn't need to limit it. Additionally, prior to it 'breaking', I'd (data) roamed on Orange GPRS.

"3 reserves the right to limit excessive roaming if necessary", from http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help_suppo...d=1187800248881.

Bazza.

Guest Webreaper
Some people here need to take a chill pill :D

It doesn't matter whether the OP works for 3 or not - he was providing a good story about WM.

Actually, it does matter.

Lots of n00bs read this board, and somebody reading that post could think "hey, great, 3 have the best coverage and so I'll take out a contract", ending up very disappointed. It's a clear conflict of interest, and people with a commercial interest should mention it if they're going to spam BBSes with promotional posts.

It would have been just as informative if the original post had said "I work for 3, and thought you guys might be interested to know that we're releasing a Tytn II on the 3 network. Should be pretty good as it'll be less customised that handsets on Orange or O2, and most of 3's coverage is 3G, perfect for this device. Any questions about the deal, give me a shout". Or something along those lines.

Guest mcwarre
"hey, great, 3 have the best coverage and so I'll take out a contract", ending up very disappointed.

All operators measure coverage in the same way so all a noob has to do is compare it. If they don't that's their fault. And no, I don't work for 3 (or any phone company).

It is good to see that you seem to suggest changes to someone else's post. That's moderation and you're not a moderator (neither am I). I am not starting a flame war just pointing out that some people on this thread may have gone a bit OTT (not having a go at you).

Edited by mcwarre

Guest shootydogthing

Agreed, we went a little OTT... but I still think he should have said he was a 3 employee, and also... he seems to have gone a little quiet on my point about paying for phones...

Guest shootydogthing

the OP might, if you can find him...

i'd suspect that if it's HTC branded, it will have the Tom tom taster edition... but I don't know.