iPAQ 612c

Guest hungryJack

Guest hungryJack

Hi all,

I owned a iPAQ 612c. If you have any question or would like to share with me. I m willing to test on behalf of you.

Basically i had using this unit for a few weeks. So far i don't found any big issue unless i have found out that when this unit overheat (u feel the warm), u'll experience it unable to charge the battery via sync or power adapter.

2. I was doubt that i saw previous post someone said that this unit can support up to 8GB SDHC microSD card, but as far as i know from HP document it states only 2GB. And do not support SDHC in this devices.

3. My GPS just work well by using Garmin and mal-sing maps. But the cons is that some of the time, it will have difficulties to start the GPSProxy, it shown all 0 degree, 0 values so GPS is not able to use unless more satelite is being detected.

4. Alarm a little sucks. The default alarm ringtone unable to change to MP3 or so. It was unable to wake me up all the time ... lol

5. I saw from previous thread, someone mention how to use the keyguard function. By right, u need to

Start -> Setting -> buttons -> lock tab -> check the "Enable keyguard" box and OK.

When your iPAQ enter standby mode, it should be automatically lock the keypad, so when u trying push the power button, it will prompt to unlock the keypad by press and release the left and right soft key.

6. the left "OK" button is just to disable the smartwheel function, i guess someone have provided the wrong info in prev post.

Best Regards,

Jack :D

Guest ROGUEx360

Regarding your point number 5:

5. I saw from previous thread, someone mention how to use the keyguard function. By right, u need to

Start -> Setting -> buttons -> lock tab -> check the "Enable keyguard" box and OK.

When your iPAQ enter standby mode, it should be automatically lock the keypad, so when u trying push the power button, it will prompt to unlock the keypad by press and release the left and right soft key.

This is what I expect to happen, but on my 614c it does not.

I have the "Enable keyguard" box ticked exactly as mentioned above, yet it does nothing.

Could you possibly look in the registry of your device to see if there are any entries specific to the Keyguard and what their settings are?

This may help me get it working on my 614c.

Also, your point 2, I would assume that the 612c also supports microSDHC cards just like the 614c. My 614c has a 4GB microSDHC card in and functions correctly with this card.

Thanks,

Darren.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Will.x

Hi,

I am really interested in purchasing the HP iPAQ 614c/612c. I am living in Australia and we have been waiting for it for quite some time now and unfortunately according to one dealer here, it seems the release date has been postponed again till 3/06/2008 which is really pathetic if its an exact and an identical phone to the 614c.

http://www.ow.com.au/shop/PDA-Handhelds/HP...ator-Smartphone

I 've done some reading and I am aware of at least couple of major issues with the 614c:-

1- The phone does not switch dynamically from 3G to GPRS and you have to switch off the phone and turn it back on to pick up the signal! which is pretty bad because I want to use it with a 3G network. but there maybe areas where there is only GPRS.

2- Voice distortion when using with a Bluetooth.

as I said these are the main two issues I am aware of anyway. I have couple of question I hope someone can clarify please:-

1- Could the reason for delaying the release of the 612c in Australia be because they are fixing the major problems with phone, things like 3G connectivity, etc... or

not?

this is very important for me to know, because if the phone is an exact and identical to the 614c, I'll just get it from eBay or somewhere else from the UK.

2- Where did you purchase the 612c from?

3- if I purchase the 614c from a UK store, is the HP 1 year Warranty still valid (i.e internationally) ?

4- Does this update fix any of the issues mentioned above?

http://www.modaco.com/content/HP-iPaq-iPaq...-00-2-Apr-2008/

Regards,

Will

Guest hungryJack
Hi,

I am really interested in purchasing the HP iPAQ 614c/612c. I am living in Australia and we have been waiting for it for quite some time now and unfortunately according to one dealer here, it seems the release date has been postponed again till 3/06/2008 which is really pathetic if its an exact and an identical phone to the 614c.

I 've done some reading and I am aware of at least couple of major issues with the 614c:-

1- The phone does not switch dynamically from 3G to GPRS and you have to switch off the phone and turn it back on to pick up the signal! which is pretty bad because I want to use it with a 3G network. but there maybe areas where there is only GPRS.

as I said these are the main two issues I am aware of anyway. I have couple of question I hope someone can clarify please:-

1- Could the reason for delaying the release of the 612c in Australia be because they are fixing the major problems with phone, things like 3G connectivity, etc... or

not?

this is very important for me to know, because if the phone is an exact and identical to the 614c, I'll just get it from eBay or somewhere else from the UK.

2- Where did you purchase the 612c from?

3- if I purchase the 614c from a UK store, is the HP 1 year Warranty still valid (i.e internationally) ?

4- Does this update fix any of the issues mentioned above?

http://www.modaco.com/content/HP-iPaq-iPaq...-00-2-Apr-2008/

Regards,

Will

A: Basically i test in my area. It will automatically switch between 3G - HSDPA - GPRS. No concern on required to switch manually.

A: Regarding this i need to clarify as well. But since i don't have any bluetooth headset. Come back to u after i borrow bt headset from fren.

3. 1- Could the reason for delaying the release of the 612c in Australia be because they are fixing the major problems with phone, things like 3G connectivity, etc... or

not?

A: I believe so.

4. if I purchase the 614c from a UK store, is the HP 1 year Warranty still valid (i.e internationally) ?

A: Normally will come with 1 year limited warranty. I don't think warranty will applied internationally. Most probably by region.

Guest wwwwww
Hi,

Hi Will

I'm in the UK and have a 614c (UK model) - I find switching between 3G, HSDPA and GPRS is fine. It happens automatically without switching the phone off/on.

My 4Gb SDHC turned up yesterday and so far there are no issues. The GPS can be a little slow when you first fire it up (maybe that's because I'm using GoogleMaps not a 3rd party app...?) and the battery life isn't too great ( :D ) needing a charge at least once a day.

I don't have a BT headset so can't test calls over that but if I get the chance to I will and let you have some feedback.

Overall for what it is I think this is a great phone, I've had no freezes or slowdowns and other than my initial set-up fiddling havent' had to do a hard reset, I back up using dashwire anyway so any problems should be minimal.

You've gotta love unlimited data plans :(

Regards

Rob

Hi Jack,

Could you help me to test your 612c? Pls follow these steps:

- start Windows Media Player (WMP)

- map any button to the "Toggle Screen", for e.g. "*"

- play any song you have

- try to remember where the "play/pause" button is located on the screen

- press the "*" to turn off the LCD

- try to press the "play/pause" button (should be invisible), does the song stop playing (but the screen is still off)?

Could other 612c/614c owner also try this test? I'm doubting is it the problem of my device only.

Thanks!

A_C

Guest hungryJack
Hi Jack,

Could you help me to test your 612c? Pls follow these steps:

- start Windows Media Player (WMP)

- map any button to the "Toggle Screen", for e.g. "*"

- play any song you have

- try to remember where the "play/pause" button is located on the screen

- press the "*" to turn off the LCD

- try to press the "play/pause" button (should be invisible), does the song stop playing (but the screen is still off)?

Could other 612c/614c owner also try this test? I'm doubting is it the problem of my device only.

Thanks!

A_C

Hi A_C,

I had test what you request. It was working fine. After press the '*' to toggle and LCD is off. When the LCD is off and i just touch the screen to 'play' the song again. It was just working fine. Thanks. Mine using 612c FYI.

Try hard reset if it able to resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi A_C,

I had test what you request. It was working fine. After press the '*' to toggle and LCD is off. When the LCD is off and i just touch the screen to 'play' the song again. It was just working fine. Thanks. Mine using 612c FYI.

Try hard reset if it able to resolve your issue.

Best Regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack.

I doubt it's a "default" bug of every HP WM devices. The purpose of WMP's "toggle screen" is to turn off the LCD so as to 1) safe power & 2) avoid any miss-input from the screen. But right now you can still press the "invisible" buttons even the LCD is off. Besides, under dark environment, it can be easily seen that the LCD is not totally off, a dimmed light is still there.

To work around this, we can still press the power button. But to a developer, it means that the LCD cannot be turned off completely by program. Some 3rd party tools which try to turn off the LCD under certain conditions (e.g. during a phone call) will all failed, because it still allows for any screen touch.

Cheers,

A_C