The Perfect Smartphone

Guest guybrush

Guest guybrush

Ok, let’s get to the bottom of things. For some of us, we want a phone that is a phone and can do computer functions, not a crippled computer that can somewhat function like a phone. That is why we love the WM Standard. Getting to look something up, see a map, or check e-mail is pretty much what most users would like to do in addition to the main tasks of calling people and sending SMS messages. However, everywhere I look the market seems to be moving to touch screens and complicated gadgets that want to do everything but can’t do something right. So, in my search for the perfect smartphone, I have compiled that specs for what I think – for me at least – would be the perfect Smartphone. I invite you to give us your thoughts on whatever else you would like, and if you think a current WM Standard phone comes close.

Minimum Specs:

- Windows Mobile 6 Standard (no Pro)

- Processor at 400MHz

- Quadband

- 3G + HSDPA

- 2.2" Screen

- 12 key keypad

- 256MB ROM

- 64MB RAM

- WiFi / Bluetooth 2.0

- 2.0 Megapixel Camera

- microSD expansion

- Slim form factor (clamshell, candy bar, or slide out keypad design all fine)

- ABSOLUTELY NO QWERTY on the face of the phone.

Nice (but not critical)

- WM 6.1 Standard

- Stronger Processor

- Bigger Screen (Bigger than 2.6”)

- 3.2 Megapixel Camera, Autofocus, and Flash

- More RAM

- GPS

The HTC s730 almost gets everything right, but I am hearing bad things about its performance and memory leaks. It is also rather bulky and I will never use its slide out keyboard.

The Samsung SGH-i200 would be perfect but why no WiFi Samsung?

The Asus M930 is another nice candidate and would not have minded the “Communicator” style form factor if it did not have a joke for an interal screen (what were they thinking placing that 2.4 inch screen inside?)

The Pantech Duo may be ok but again no WiFi. Also, not sure why it does not have 2100 UMTS band. And again I will never use its slide out keyboard.

So, any suggestions? Let us have it...

Edited by guybrush

Guest Paul (MVP)

Oh and check out the price on that b-stock unit :D Hard to find new stock tho!

The real problem is finding non-QWERTYs nowadays!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Re-read the orginal post, and not sure if you are actually wanting to buy or just musing :D

So, in conclusion, the current crop of SPs is very poor indeed, and there's nothing near a perfect device for me!

P

Guest guybrush
Re-read the orginal post, and not sure if you are actually wanting to buy or just musing :D

So, in conclusion, the current crop of SPs is very poor indeed, and there's nothing near a perfect device for me!

P

Thanks Paul. Actually, it is a combination of both musing and wanting to buy. My SP5 is in critical condition (buttons falling off, scratched to hell, battery cover stuck with tape). So, if there is something out there, I will buy it now. Otherwise, I can wait for a couple of more months. May be the HTC event this May will bring something new.

Edited by guybrush

Guest chucky.egg

I'm looking for a new device for the GF, but having the same problem.

All she really needs is voice, SMS, and email. SatNav and (perhaps in the future) Exchange sync would be nice.

She doesn't want Pro.

At the moment the Nokia E51 is looking likely, and meets some of the OPs requirements.

For my benefit as much as hers (I'll have to support it) I'd get her a Std if there was anything good around.

Guest chucky.egg

Not over-impressed.

It's even taller than the I600! And they're still using their stupid little connectors. mini USB FFS! it's not tricky really!

It does look skinny though.

It'd give it something between a "Meh" and a "Hmm"

Guest guybrush
Not over-impressed.

It's even taller than the I600! And they're still using their stupid little connectors. mini USB FFS! it's not tricky really!

It does look skinny though.

It'd give it something between a "Meh" and a "Hmm"

I feel the same way about the Samsung i200: "Hmm" is just about right. What is the processor power of the i200 anyway? I can't seem to find that information anywhere. And when will it come out?

I also spotted the Benq E72 while searching the forums. It could have been a contender, but it is too emasculated with the tiny screen and weak processor, and emasculating with the purple coloring. But may do for now until something better from HTC comes along. Any news on when E72 will finally be released?

• 1 year later...
Guest SGH-i200
Ok, let’s get to the bottom of things. For some of us, we want a phone that is a phone and can do computer functions, not a crippled computer that can somewhat function like a phone.

...The Samsung SGH-i200 would be perfect but why no WiFi Samsung?

Long years I was very happy with my MPx200. But now I own one SGH-i200! It's a great phone and I don't miss WiFi. I think you would love it, too!

9199-sghi200img3.jpg9199-sghi200img2.jpg

Its processor is an ARMv4i (AMR926EJ-S STn8810 Normadik) - it's clock speed is 233 Mhz!

Discussion on XDA-DEV:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...705#post4259705

Edited by SGH-i200