HSDPA speeds

Hi,

I keep reading about people getting 700-1000Kb/s speeds on T-Mobile HSDPA but I seem to be only able to ever get as high as about 350. My Kaiser changes from 3G to H when I'm in the city so it looks as if HSDPA is enabled on my account (outside of the city, it remains on H permanently). I'm on the standard Web and Walk - would I get better throughput if I upgraded to the Web and Walk Plus?

Thanks for any help!

Ant.

Guest rireed
Hi,

I keep reading about people getting 700-1000Kb/s speeds on T-Mobile HSDPA but I seem to be only able to ever get as high as about 350. My Kaiser changes from 3G to H when I'm in the city so it looks as if HSDPA is enabled on my account (outside of the city, it remains on H permanently). I'm on the standard Web and Walk - would I get better throughput if I upgraded to the Web and Walk Plus?

Thanks for any help!

Ant.

Thanks for confirming to me that Standard Web 'n' Walk gets the 'H'. 3G without the 'H' gets you up to 384 Kbps. I have a third-party bundle in which an extra feature called 'HSDPA' had to be 'enabled' and 'activated' by tech support before I got the 'H'. In the Web 'n' Walk plans this apparently happens automatically.

I tested with DSLReports and got 679 Kbps once, so I know I'm in the 'up to 1.8 Mbps' data tariff as advertised by my eXpansys bundle. I expect throughput varies, but before I got the H I never got more than 350 or so. Without the H, the connection speed limits you, not any throughput cap. Web 'n' Walk Plus is another £12.50 pm on your calling plan, and you can get up to 7.2 Mbps _sometimes_, depending on the cell you're in. I don't know how the data servers might be limited or if they change with every call. 'Plus' also gets you streaming data, file sharing, phone-as-a-modem-for-your-laptop -- it's actually for mobile broadband.

I haven't heard of T-Mo capping accounts that get the H any lower than 1.8 Mbps. Could you have run afoul of 'fair use'? Does T-mo even bother with 'fair use' on 1.8 Mbps?

Richard

I haven't heard of T-Mo capping accounts that get the H any lower than 1.8 Mbps. Could you have run afoul of 'fair use'? Does T-mo even bother with 'fair use' on 1.8 Mbps?

No, I definitely won't have exceeded any fair use. I use my data for push email and a bit of web browsing but not a great deal more so I doubt my usage is even over 50-75megs a month.

Guest Confucious

W'n'W standard does not have HSDPA enabled, you need W'n'W Plus.Before Oct YB it did but this has been removed and unless you are very lucky (some people have been) they will not enable it for you and you will need plus which is 5 GBP/ month more but has a FUP of 3gig rather than 1 and you can use your phone as a modem.

348 is std 3G HSDPA is up to 1.8 - usually get 7-800. 3t is being increased to 7.2 but very few phones can use more than 1.8

HTH

Guest rireed
W'n'W standard does not have HSDPA enabled, you need W'n'W Plus.Before Oct YB it did but this has been removed and unless you are very lucky (some people have been) they will not enable it for you and you will need plus which is 5 GBP/ month more but has a FUP of 3gig rather than 1 and you can use your phone as a modem.

348 is std 3G HSDPA is up to 1.8 - usually get 7-800. 3t is being increased to 7.2 but very few phones can use more than 1.8

HTH

If he's getting the H he's either one of the lucky ones or T-Mo is throttling his data rate on a server.

I got HDSPA on a 100MB-limited 20p calling bundle from eXpansys. Before the third tech saw HSDPA on my account and figured out enable>activate>'push it through', the first tech told me I had to pay another 12.50 for Web 'n' Walk Plus. This actually agrees with your £5, because the total is £27.50 just like Flext 20 + Web 'n' Walk + £5.

In my case, this was a training problem at T-Mo. CS had been adamant about "No HSDPA without Web 'n' Walk Plus". Two techs looked at the 'HSDPA' on my account and didn't know why it didn't work when it had been 'enabled'. The third tech had seen such a problem before and looked on another screen to see that it hadn't been 'activated'.

Again, since antlane's getting the H, I'd first try other locations.

antlane: if you are in the City, go out to Canary Wharf. I get between 500 and 1000 Kbps on dslreports speed test there when the H is showing.

If that doesn't help, tell CS you have a tech detail question. Don't mention HSDPA to CS. They won't help. Get a tech to 'enable' AND 'activate' HSDPA if they can see it on your account.

Richard

Guest wwwwww
W'n'W standard does not have HSDPA enabled, you need W'n'W Plus.Before Oct YB it did but this has been removed and unless you are very lucky (some people have been) they will not enable it for you and you will need plus which is 5 GBP/ month...

HTH

Hi Confucious

I'm now lost.

I've read in loads of places that Web'n'Walk std doesn't have HSDPA enabled. I've just signed up to T-mob with a flext 25 + wnw (37.50pm) through expansys and regularly get HSDPA (the H shows where I otherwise would get 3G or G displayed dependant on coverage). I haven't asked for HSDPA to be enabled and I'm not paying for WnW+ so have T-mob just messed up or is HSDPA available on WnW std now?

Either way my DL speed seems extremely fast for general browsing whatever connection I have. The only problem I have is when connected to HSDPA I can't send/receive email over the accounts I have set up on the phone (I can browse and make calls OK) - this includes sync'ing dashwire, windows live & gmail. Is this due to my phone trying to connect to a network (ie T-mob HSDPA) which it doesn't have access to? If so, why can I browse the web?

Regards

Guest Confucious

Flext 25 is also £5 off on T-Mob site so you should only be paying £32.50 - did you mean Flext 35? (£30 + W'n'W Std at £7.50/month)?

What smtp server are you using to send email? you should be using T-Mobile's but you should be able to receive OK - are you sure your settings are OK?

Edited by Confucious

Guest wwwwww
did you mean Flext 35? (£30 + W'n'W Std at £7.50/month)? What smtp server are you using to send email? you should be using T-Mobile's but you should be able to receive OK - are you sure your settings are OK?

Apologies, my mistake I am indeed on Flext 35 and W'n'W std (total £37.50pm).

I referred to Windows Live and Gmail account which I have set up. The settings I'm using are those which Gmail advise to use (smtp.gmail.com etc) and as far as WL goes I just used their automatic setup option (I had a brief search for them but came up short).

Additionally I'm having problems with sending MMS, tried to get the settings from T-Mob (from the website via text) but a)They don't have my phone (Ipaq 614c) and B)I didn't receive the config text I requested anyway!

Guest pete_thomson
W'n'W standard does not have HSDPA enabled, you need W'n'W Plus.

This was not the case for me. When I signed up on a Sim Only contract I added normal WnW for £7.50 I asked them to check that HSDPA was enabled "as I had a HSDPA capable phone and not a HSDPA modem". I was told that HSPDA is routinely enabled for all WnW customers.

Sure enough when my SIM went live I got HSDPA speed of 800-1000k

Guest Confucious
This was not the case for me. When I signed up on a Sim Only contract I added normal WnW for £7.50 I asked them to check that HSDPA was enabled "as I had a HSDPA capable phone and not a HSDPA modem". I was told that HSPDA is routinely enabled for all WnW customers.

Sure enough when my SIM went live I got HSDPA speed of 800-1000k

They do change their minds. When the original £7.50 W'n'W came out (I'm not talking about the 40/100Mb versions before that) it did not have HSDPA enabled but the 'Pro' version for £10 did. Some people managed to persuade them to add HSDPA to the std version but it was very hit and miss but at that time very few phones (only the vario II IIRC).. Then they clarified the rules and introduced the three versions on W'n'W we have today - again std did not have HSDPA but the other 2 did but still some lucky people managed to get put through to a techie who would enable it on Std.

This gradually became widly known to the point where everyone seemed to be getting it so as from October 17th T-Mobile specifically stopped HSDPA on Std so you *should* not have it on W'n'W Std if added since Oct 17th.

That's not to say they can't add it and maybe there are still techies who are still unaware of the situation who will add it for you.

As always, this is only my 'interpretation' of the situation and I could be talking total b*ll*x - so if anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.

Guest pete_thomson
They do change their minds. When the original £7.50 W'n'W came out (I'm not talking about the 40/100Mb versions before that) it did not have HSDPA enabled but the 'Pro' version for £10 did. Some people managed to persuade them to add HSDPA to the std version but it was very hit and miss but at that time very few phones (only the vario II IIRC).. Then they clarified the rules and introduced the three versions on W'n'W we have today - again std did not have HSDPA but the other 2 did but still some lucky people managed to get put through to a techie who would enable it on Std.

This gradually became widly known to the point where everyone seemed to be getting it so as from October 17th T-Mobile specifically stopped HSDPA on Std so you *should* not have it on W'n'W Std if added since Oct 17th.

That's not to say they can't add it and maybe there are still techies who are still unaware of the situation who will add it for you.

As always, this is only my 'interpretation' of the situation and I could be talking total b*ll*x - so if anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.

I dont think it's so much them changing their minds, more that they fail to tell the people that matter what the situation truely is so you end up with this mess fo some people getting it, some people getting it if they ask for it and others being refused it. Typical big business!!

Guest Confucious
Typical big business!!

No, they, at least, are trying. They do try and make their prices transparent - if some people get extra that's great but T have consistently revised their FUP to make sure it is fair - you can't please everyone but T do a flippin good job of trying!

Guest wwwwww
T do a flippin good job of trying!

Experience in the past with T-Mob was excellent. For some reason (and I really can't explain it) I left to go to Orange but at the end of 18 months I've wound my way back to T-Mob. Hopefully they will be as good this time around as they were the last.

With regards to HSDPA on my acct, I didn't even ask for it and it appears to be enabled - perhaps going thru expansys has an effect, who knows? Whatever the situation, I find that regardless of my connection (G, 3G or H) the speed is very quick (I previously had an MDA compact II and the speed compared to that - which was on W'n'W plus - very favourable) so I'm a happy bunny :D

The only issue is that outlined above - oh and some atrocious battery life issues but that's another thing altogether <_<

Guest sicone

I had the same problem with my HSDPA connection on my kaiser (though was only getting 60-120kps connection in HSDPA areas, even when across the road from a t-mobile mast).

I phoned T-mobile and the guy I spoke to said he disabled the HSPDA from my account and re-enabled it. My connection shot up to 1010kps after a quick reset.

I'm on the £7.50 version of WnW, so the WnW Plus is not necessary for HSDPA.

I had the same problem with my HSDPA connection on my kaiser (though was only getting 60-120kps connection in HSDPA areas, even when across the road from a t-mobile mast).

I phoned T-mobile and the guy I spoke to said he disabled the HSPDA from my account and re-enabled it. My connection shot up to 1010kps after a quick reset.

I'm on the £7.50 version of WnW, so the WnW Plus is not necessary for HSDPA.

I'm on the lowest WnW too but having just called customer services, they tell me they're unable to disable/reenable HSDPA as it comes as standard on my talkplan (Flext 35 + WnW 12 months). They say the only way they'd be able to do it is move me to a different talk plan which doesn't have HSDPA as standard and then back again. Is this a case of having to just call a number of times before I speak to someone who is able to do this?!

Guest pete_thomson
I'm on the lowest WnW too but having just called customer services, they tell me they're unable to disable/reenable HSDPA as it comes as standard on my talkplan (Flext 35 + WnW 12 months). They say the only way they'd be able to do it is move me to a different talk plan which doesn't have HSDPA as standard and then back again. Is this a case of having to just call a number of times before I speak to someone who is able to do this?!

See, this is the sort of thing I mean.

I'm not knocking T-Mobile. I've only had to contact CS 3 times and everytime it's been a great experience for me.

Many moons ago Orange used to be like that - the funniest thing is that the Speaking clock on 123 clashes with the Orange Voicemail, so I used to ring CS at 4am to find out what the time was and they would ALWAY tell me the time with a chuckle. I doubt they'd do that these days, but I reckon T-Mobile might just :D

Guest sicone
...they tell me they're unable to disable/reenable HSDPA as it comes as standard on my talkplan (Flext 35 + WnW 12 months). They say the only way they'd be able to do it is move me to a different talk plan which doesn't have HSDPA as standard and then back again. Is this a case of having to just call a number of times before I speak to someone who is able to do this?!

The first guy I spoke to was going to get me to connect my phone to my pc and use internet connection sharing to do something, but I was at work and couldn't. A different guy called me back later and said that sometimes the HSDPA goes screwy and they have to manually disable it and reenable it for it to work properly (which is what he did whilst I was on the phone).

I'd say keep trying until you get through to someone who knows what they are doing - try to get put through to their technical department rather that speaking to the normal call centre staff.

Guest Confucious

I think the problem is that the person who said they can't disable it was looking at it from the account - as it's part of the bundle it can't be removed.

What you actually need is for a techie to physically disable it and re-enable which has nothing to do with your actual plan.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got to the bottom of this. I managed to get put through to tech support who said they reset my HSDPA but after that, I was still only getting slow speeds.

On phoning T-Mobile again, I finally spoke to someone who told me I definitely didn't have HSDPA on my account - even though everyone else who I had spoken to told me I did! He would only give me HSDPA if I upgraded to WnW Plus which I was unwilling to do as I had been on WnW since long before Oct 07 which was when the rules changed. It transpires that when I upgraded my phone in November, I also changed price plan which was the reason I didn't have HSDPA enabled (even though I was promised at the time that I wouldn't lose it). So despite my phone displaying an "H", the speeds were obviously being throttled somewhere.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I emailed Customer Relations who were excellent. Having explained the situation, they converted my talkplan to a pre-October version of it and within a few minutes, I was getting nearly 1 Mbit/sec.

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest deanparkr
Interesting that it was showing H when you weren't getting HSDPA.

Glad you got it sorted though. :D

T-Mobile have recently added WnW Plus to my account with HSDPA and my phone is now showing the "H" icon in place of "3G"

Ive plugged my phone in as a modem to my laptop and in Internet Explorer upon starting a download i'm seeing 180 ish speeds in the download speeds.

Now... I dont really understand my KB's Kb's kb's kbits to know for sure if thats a good speed for HSDPA?

180KB/s does that sound right for T-Mobiles advertised 3.6mbps?

Confused! :(

Edited by deanparkr