A new app idea... courtesy of Mono - SayNo (to 0870)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a new app idea inspired by Monolithix :D

- App goes on your device, and is launched when you make a call (NOT resident)

- App checks to see if call is non geographical (e.g. 0870) and therefore not taken from your minutes

- App ends call, looks up alternative number on saynoto0870, and then gives you the option to call it

- After call is placed, app exits until next needed?

Good idea? I thought so, so I knocked up a proof of concept (attached!)

The attached version doesn't launch on calls or anything, you can just run it, then try calling an 0870 and see it in action :(

e.g.

- Download ZIP

- Copy EXE to phone

- Run EXE on phone

- Press green button

- Dial number '08704443852' (Museum of London automated info line)

- SayNo should intercept call, hang up, and guide you through looking up the alternative, before finally helping you dial the result

Worth pursuing? :(

P

SayNo.zip

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Here's a new app idea inspired by Monolithix :D

Worth pursuing? :(

P

Great idea BUT...

saynoto0870's website has been, in my experience, a bit flaky with times when it can't be accessed or had old / outdated info - how about a standalone database of numbers updated every week?

If we *know* there is no geographical alternative number, can a shortdial code in front of the number (eg #101# or summat) disable the interception sequence? Otherwise could get annoying.

M.S

Guest Paul (MVP)

Once you select 'no' to looking up once, it gets whitelisted (even in this beta)

A standalone DB is an option, is SNT0870's really that unreliable then?

P

Guest Mysterious Stranger
Once you select 'no' to looking up once, it gets whitelisted (even in this beta)

A standalone DB is an option, is SNT0870's really that unreliable then?

P

But how about an option to just stop it alltogether temporarily if you don't want to waste time looking up the alternative? Adding to a 'whitelist' would take just as long as looking up, no? For example, you've need a taxi quickly and the number is extremely unlikely to be on the sayno list.

The number database is unreliable as anyone can add and entries are only checked when complaints are made. You might need to email them if you want to use the name / DB too.

"Written permission is required to duplicate any of the content within this site. "

M.S

Guest chucky.egg

Interesting idea, will give the demo a try

I'd rather see an app that prompts you to see if you want to look up a geo number, rather than cutting the call and starting a lookup

Guest shootydogthing

How about when you press call it would bring up a popup, if you select "no" it just calls the number again straight away.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Damiantmc

any news on this, sounds like a fantastic idea, I work for T and think the charges are rubbish so anything would be great (for myself and customers to)

DTMc

Guest Damiantmc

I'll second that, I think it would be fantastic, well worth having, a very valuable tool these days what with the charges what they are lol :D

Dtmc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...