Q9 GPS Question

Guest cowboyshootist

Guest cowboyshootist

Greetings,

I am testing an Anti-Theft application called WIMP (Where Is My Phone) which claims that they can send GPS coordinates from your phone by send it a simple text message. This would be very useful for both theft and/or lost phones.

In testing the application I cannot get WIMP to record the GPS coordinates even after waiting for 10 minutes and setting the minimum number of sattelites to 3.

I have read all the posts on activating the GPS on the Moto Q9 (ATT version) but it is unclear as to whether I actually need to load any of the COM Activation tools or GPS Test. I am able to get Google Maps and Windows Live Search working just fine with the GPS. Sat lock can take a few minutes from a cold start but that is to be expected. WIMP, on the other hand, can never seem to get either Sat lock or perhaps it just can't turn on the GPS. The support team for WIMP pointed me to this site for more assistance. I suspect they may not have a Motorola Q9 to test with.

Is anyone out there using WIMP with the Moto and/or do you have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

TC

PS - Since originally posting this I have installed and used both Windows Live and Google Maps so I know the GPS is working. It appears that I need to get the correct baud rate for the COM port. I am defaulting to Com4 but maybe that's not the best one to use for the GPS. Google is set to "Let Windows configure GPS" and Windows Live uses the Intermediate Driver. Any ideas?

Guest Gargoyle117
PS - Since originally posting this I have installed and used both Windows Live and Google Maps so I know the GPS is working. It appears that I need to get the correct baud rate for the COM port. I am defaulting to Com4 but maybe that's not the best one to use for the GPS. Google is set to "Let Windows configure GPS" and Windows Live uses the Intermediate Driver. Any ideas?

I know that the GPS on the Q9h is not normally assigned to a COM port. There are cab files which can assign the GPS to a COM port, but I believe that leaves it on 100% of the time (which you would want if your phone was stolen, but not otherwise). I am not sure if there are cab files to switch the GPS back to factory defaults.

As far as I have seen, any program which looks for a COM port for a GPS device does not work on the Q9h. I may be wrong on this, but it is my experience after messing around with several phones (only about half of which worked with Google Maps GPS).

Guest cowboyshootist
I know that the GPS on the Q9h is not normally assigned to a COM port. There are cab files which can assign the GPS to a COM port, but I believe that leaves it on 100% of the time (which you would want if your phone was stolen, but not otherwise). I am not sure if there are cab files to switch the GPS back to factory defaults.

As far as I have seen, any program which looks for a COM port for a GPS device does not work on the Q9h. I may be wrong on this, but it is my experience after messing around with several phones (only about half of which worked with Google Maps GPS).

Thanks for the feedback. You may be correct as the application WIMP is trying to use a COM port. You can select which one it uses but it is definitely using a COM port. I noticed that Google lets "Windows" set the GPS and Windows Live uses the "Intermediate" driver. I'll have to pass this back to the WIMP support team.