HTC prep 'HTC Touch Diamond' for imminent reveal + 'HTC Touch Pro' / 'HTC Touch Dual Pro' details

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest holybear

What I'm actually most interested in is the hardware controls.

It doesn't seem like there are too many buttons on the new devices, and I personally went for the TyTN II because of the scrollwheel.

If the Raphael doesn't have a scrollwheel, I'll be sorely disappointed.

It already seems like softkeys are going to be on-screen rather than hardware buttons, which I'm not overly fond of either.

Guest surur

Apologies about doubting the motion sensor info. Some-one in the know has confirmed that the Diamond/Raphael does have an accelerometer, and that this works very well for changing screen orientation.

Surur

Guest Syphon Filter
Apologies about doubting the motion sensor info. Some-one in the know has confirmed that the Diamond/Raphael does have an accelerometer, and that this works very well for changing screen orientation.

Surur

If that is the case, could it not be used to make the GPS "dead-reckoning", though I suppose that would also require an electronic compass.

Guest shootydogthing

yeah, you'd need a compass.

As to the X1...

HTC will be bringing their experience from the X1 to these devices, and they'll end up with a superior device

Accelerometer. Multiple form factors. eGPS rather than aGPS. And Manilla on all of them, as well as HTC's other bits of software. I'd take that over the X1 any day.

Guest spark9990

looks like we have another dud smart pda phone with the X1

as you will see from the video, the X1 is desperately crying for some dedicated video acceleration.

Looks like HTC have messed things up for Sony Ericcson.

http://www.theunwired.net/?item=videoview-...-6-1-smartphone

hopefully i'm wrong and it will be better once its released commercially.

Guest Perfectionist

Most probably just prototype teething troubles ..... if not, then I wouldn't expect the HTC models to be any better ..... if they have messed up drivers again, I'm gonna burn the HTC factory down ..... actually nah, I'll just get an N96 I guess !!

Guest Syphon Filter

Christ....there are lot of assumptions and speculation flying around regarding X1 vs New HTC Devices.

Fact is none of them are out yet. I think we can all agree that all the new devices including the X1 "look" fantastic. We all "hope" that HTC has learnt learnt from past mistakes with regards to drivers etc.

Hopefully May 6th will bring more answers. I'm betting on a Q3-4 launch for these devices, I think this was the sort of time frame that we saw the Kaiser released. Not sure when the Touch/Touch Dual landed.

Guest shootydogthing

agreed. this is speculation. but I am hoping SO much that HTC have learned from their mistake with the Kaiser.

If these are released Q3... hmm. my contract runs out in about 14 months. so if kaiser = last summer, these = this sumer... then their sucessors will probably be next summer, I can just keep my contract going and upgrade when their sucessors come to t-mobile.

Oh, i've had a flash of inspiration! remember how the Compact IV had home and back keys? I bet these are the same, and that home and back keys are what MANILLA uses!

it would explain the odd settup. and i'd also guess that if you disable Mailla (if that's possibe) they'll work as Start and Ok keys.

Guest TalynOne

Hey Paul the leaked spec sheet photo for the Raphael shows it based on the 7500a (not 7200a) chipset with an agps (not egps). Is it possible the CDMA/Sprint versions will use a different chipset? I think the 7200a is GSM only while the 7500a can do CDMA (EVDO Rev A) and tri-band GSM.

Info for 7500a here:MSM7500a Info

(HTC CDMA Touch / Titan uses MSM7500)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2605778/MSM7500A

Guest TalynOne

Update 04/29/08: HTC confirms Diamond with VGA touchscreen launch next month? (GSM first?)

"We already knew it was coming, now HTC has seemingly confirmed that its Diamond handset will be announced next month presumably at the May 6th event. The wording of the Taipei Times article (which we assume was translated from Chinese) leaves HTC's comments open to interpretation. Speaking to a group of investors, HTC's financial executive Cheng Hui-ming, said that revenues will grow by 20% this year thanks to the launch of a new Touch phone next month. Referring to the HTC Diamond by name, he then calls the device "the most important product for HTC this year."
Edited by TalynOne

Oh, i've had a flash of inspiration! remember how the Compact IV had home and back keys? I bet these are the same, and that home and back keys are what MANILLA uses!

it would explain the odd settup. and i'd also guess that if you disable Mailla (if that's possibe) they'll work as Start and Ok keys.

Interesting, but the 'home' and 'back' keys have also been spotted on some of the upcoming Asus Pocket PC/ WM Pro devices, so they can't be dependent on Manilla.

Guest lord_zelo

The only spec that I hope they throw in is real GPS instead of just eGPS. If they did that, these devices will be killer. Love the look.

Guest nuttyphilt
eGPS > plain GPS!

P

Are you going to the launch on Tuesday? Going to try and 'borrow' some of the new devices??!!

Guest lord_zelo
eGPS > plain GPS!

P

So essentially eGPS means it has regular GPS and that it has the eGPS feature added to it to get the faster position fix?

If that's the case, I'm getting one of these as soon as it's available.

Edited by lord_zelo

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Will eGPS let me run a gps program like TomTom? If not, then it's not worth a dime. Also, is eGPS something that is free like normal GPS or is it something your service provider is going to make you pay extra for?

I mean, I'm willing to wait 30 seconds to get a GPS fix since it's free.

http://www.csr.com/egps/technology.htm

Guest shootydogthing
So essentially eGPS means it has regular GPS and that it has the eGPS feature added to it to get the faster position fix?

If that's the case, I'm getting one of these as soon as it's available.

Yeap. It's a similar thing to aGPS. it works as a regular GPS but it has extra things on top, it's faster and reduces the processing required for the GPS.

It stands for "Enhanced GPS"

Guest Tpimp420

:D :(

Can't wait to get some ROMS cooked up for this beast!

Finally some love for CDMA!

First off, all of these devices look amazing. Second, Thank you so much for the good info and I look forward to sitting in on the live blogging and casting woot! The GPS, accelorometer, new screen and dual "touch" sensing technologies, all kick ass! But I am most excited for the Raphael!!!! I currently have a xv6800, xv6700, and a Mogul(sprint), and I couldn't have been more excited to hear that it is coming to sprint! I am currently on verizon, but I'm in good with some of the techs so they let me use any CDMA device I want thats compatible, (Rapheal has Rev-A support. WOOT!). Sorry sprint, you have the phones, but verizon has the network-

Back to the phones- These things are sweet! The screen will be nice, and I can't wait for 128mb RAM, slide-out keyboard, and CDMA to all exist in one phone! But when are we gonna get devices with 192mb RAM? Com'on lets do some serious multi-tasking! Then maybe PIE wont crash on me so much! lol anyway happy to hear abut it. little concerned about it using the 75 and not the 72 processor. Hope it still boasts 528 mhz cause my xv6800 has the 7500 and only has 400 mhz. Other than that... Can't wait to get this pone!!!

I hope sprint gets it soon! People on here are talking about a release at the end of this year. I really hope its at the end of this summer at the latest!

Guest shootydogthing

Hold on... is the back actually angular and weirdly shaped like that or is it just the light/colour scheme/watermarking?

If it's all weird and spiky like it looks I'm gonna be staying FIRMLY away from it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.