Can 3G be enabled?

Guest boogybren

Guest boogybren

I know that some functionality can be turned on and others can't because of hardware limitations. However I am curious if 3G can be enabled on a Shadow? Is it a software hack or does it need the actual hardware to do this.

Guest deyanimay
I know that some functionality can be turned on and others can't because of hardware limitations. However I am curious if 3G can be enabled on a Shadow? Is it a software hack or does it need the actual hardware to do this.

It would need actual hardware that would allow it to receive data on the t-mobile data band. The shadow doesn't have this. 1700 MHz i believe.

Edited by deyanimay

• 3 months later...
Guest swordoath

T-mobile currently does not have a 3G network.

Expect it by the end of the year or the begining of the first quarter.

within a year after that they will be upgrading beyond 3G as they are soon going to be partnering with google and will also be offering devices with the new google android operating system

Guest Confucious
T-mobile currently does not have a 3G network.

Expect it by the end of the year or the begining of the first quarter.

within a year after that they will be upgrading beyond 3G as they are soon going to be partnering with google and will also be offering devices with the new google android operating system

What do you mean 'upgrading beyond 3G' Surely if they are upgrading to '3G' they won't just be doing 3G and will be upgrading to HSDPA/HSUPA immediately?

What has an OS got to do with data?

Guest swordoath
What do you mean 'upgrading beyond 3G' Surely if they are upgrading to '3G' they won't just be doing 3G and will be upgrading to HSDPA/HSUPA immediately?

What has an OS got to do with data?

Not quite immediately but within the next year or so after they go to 3G

and it's got nothing really to do with the data but I just thought people would like to know about it and that it will be easier for themes and upgrades since the android system by google is based off of open source.

This is just what I heard from an employee the other day.

Guest Confucious

Why aren't they going straight to HSDPA? Strange!

AFAIK there are no fully functioning Android handsets yet. I'm watching the Athena Android project but there's a way to go yet!