The official i-mate 9502 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
If you've been into Windows Mobile for a while, you probably remember the i-mate 'glory days'. The days when they were the most sought after Windows Mobile devices - admittedly the days when they were reselling HTC kit. Since they parted company with HTC, their devices have been lacklustre... however they are now trying to regain some momentum with their 'Ultimate' range.

The latest device to arrive on my doorstep is the 'Ultimate 9502', that you see unboxed here.

Priced at $899 and supplied to me by Smart Mobile Gadgets, the 9502 leaves little out of the spec sheet...

• Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6.0 Professional
• 116mm(L) x 60mm(W) x 17.8mm(T)
• 200g with battery pack
• 400 MHz Qualcomm® MSM 7200™
• 256 MB ROM
• 128 MB RAM
• 2.8” VGA (640×480) Touch-screen
• GSM / GPRS / EDGE Quad-band 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
• Tri-band UMTS / WCDMA, Band 1 (2100 MHz), Band 2 (1900 MHz), Band 5 (850 MHz)
• HSDPA and HSUPA
• Slider LCD exposes 39-key Qwerty keypad
• 360° Jog wheel and OK / Back
• Removable 1620mAH, Lithium ion-Polymer battery
• 3.0 Megapixel auto-focus camera
• LED Compensation light
• VGA camera for Video Calls
• WiFi 802.11 b/g
• Bluetooth® 2.0 + EDR
• TV + Audio out cable
• MicroSD™ card slot

...the question is, is it the sum of it's parts? That's what I plan to find out!

Check out the unboxing video (including a demo of the TV out functionality!), and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away :D

P

Guest smeg36

Good looking device. I have a question about the TV out. I had a Toshiba E800 back in the day, and it had VGA out. However, it had a really slow frame rate, and wasn't any good for trying to watch video. How is the frame rate on this device? Can you watch videos with it?

Guest Paul (MVP)
How easy is the keyboard to use ie similar to the wizard or the Universal?

Not a bad looking device though.

A little small, but pretty usable!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Good looking device. I have a question about the TV out. I had a Toshiba E800 back in the day, and it had VGA out. However, it had a really slow frame rate, and wasn't any good for trying to watch video. How is the frame rate on this device? Can you watch videos with it?

Hmmm, haven't tried that, i'll give it a go!

Incidentally, it's WAY faster than the Kaiser I think, despite sharing the same proc and having to drive a VGA screen!

P

Guest Syphon Filter

Incidentally, it's WAY faster than the Kaiser I think, despite sharing the same proc and having to drive a VGA screen!

P

As muhc as we (the royal we) like HTC, I think their software could definitely use some tweaking.

EDIT:

Aesthetically, this device is like a hot poker in the eye.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest alp1ne

Paul, if isn't a big effort for you, can you post a TCMP or CorePlayer benchmark? to see if VGA display isn't a dead load for that MSM7200

Thanks, great job!

Guest Boinng

It's an ugly beast, it has to be said. Looks better open I think, but at the same time, with the keyboard inset like that, it doesn't look particularly comfortable to use. I'm sure the spec is marvellous, but I suspect the looks will still put plenty off.

I don't think the Xperia X1 (or Raphael) has anything to worry about here.

Edited by Boinng

Guest shootydogthing

Interesting 2.5 INCH headphones there Paul :D Pretty big jack compared to the 3.5mm you thought it was :(

The keyboard looks a LOT like the kaiser's to me...

Guest shootydogthing

I suppose it's smaller, but when I first saw a pic of this phone open i instantly thought "That's the kaiser keyboard"

But I doubt there's much else you can do with keyboards this small without having weird-shaped keys.

Guest mikeeey

P

well i hope it shares the same processor, and not the 7200A!

if it shares the same processor then theres more hope for drivers on our kaisers.

i really do like this phone, it seems slim AND it has a keyboard. i would have prefered that it slid out the other way, for a right handed person, but thats ok.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest Smart-Mobile-Gadgets
Keyboard is VERY different to Kaiser...

P

Nice Video paul.. :D :(

like your T.V

I think the 9502 keyboard More Comfortable for typing long emails

Guest nickcornaglia

Saw the specs via RSS and was excited to see the phone......then I saw it! eeesh!

c'mon....I need to come back to the fold! Gimme a nice looking, high spec'd, small device already! :D

Guest hunyango_uk

not as nice as the kaiser, but i'd rather get this one co'z of vga display and tv out.

paul, how bout the performance of the inbuilt gps? cheers mate. :D

Guest NuShrike
paul, how bout the performance of the inbuilt gps? cheers mate. :D
If it's either using the Qualcomm GPSone, or the SiRFIII GPS chip that iMate traditionally used, it should be pretty good.

Paul, got any benchmarks for us to compare to? From what I've been reading, it has some hardware acceleration in the video drivers in the same fashion as the KS20.

Guest Paul (MVP)
well i hope it shares the same processor, and not the 7200A!

if it shares the same processor then theres more hope for drivers on our kaisers.

i really do like this phone, it seems slim AND it has a keyboard. i would have prefered that it slid out the other way, for a right handed person, but thats ok.

7200A = same processor with minor tweaks to get round the broadcom patent issues. It's the 7201 which is the new, better one :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, could you check if the 9502 is compatible with MicroSDHC?

Thanks

Not out of the box, I think it's easily fixed tho!

P

Guest philpac

Any chance you could comment on the video capabilities, i.e. how is the UI, video playback. esp compared to Tytn 2. I was looking at getting a vario 3, but if this remedies some of the issues from that (laggy UI, crappy video) I'll definitely get one, I can tolerate the ugly!!

All I'm looking for is a phone/pda with:

1) GPS

2) A decent screen

3) Keyboard

4) Wifi

5) HSDPA/HSUPA

6) Decent video playback

It'll kind of be a baby laptop for me, I've just moved and my commute has gone up 10 fold, so I need something to do on the trip, so if you can find anything that might ruin those features I'd be interested to know!

Guest mikeeey
7200A = same processor with minor tweaks to get round the broadcom patent issues. It's the 7201 which is the new, better one :D

P

no no no other way around. check this thread on xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=385605

if i went into the AT&T store right now and if they had a new unit on display it would most likely have the 7201 chip.

from what ive seen on pdadb, all 7200A devices are 520mhz...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.