The 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage post (now with official specs)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter

How readable is the screen? VGA on a 2.8" screen sounds great...but in reality, how usable is it? What does the smallest text size look like on it?

Guest nuttyphilt
hrm... that price didn't last long at Devicewire.

Gone up to £394.99 now :D

and now it's £463.99.

That's too expensive I think.

Guest Syphon Filter
and now it's £463.99.

That's too expensive I think.

Unsuprising. I reckon that's the sort of price it will drop for offline.

If this is anything to go by the Titanium and the Raphael are going to be mind blowing (in terms of quality/use I mean, not price).

If I remember the Kaiser was about the same price when that launched.

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest sxywill2005

Not impressed...

You can easily grab an 8 GB iPhone unlocked from eBay for £270.

I seriously hope HTC hasn't forgot a MicroSDHC slot as 4 GB is rather paltry compared to Nokia's 8GB N95 and Apple's 8GB and 16GB iPhone's - Both can be picked up much cheaper than HTC devices.

What are the video drivers like :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Some great little tidbits of info from my recently finished session...

- When the stylus is removed in a call, it starts a note for that person. Removing the stylus turns on the device. There is a magnetic latch for stylus, no more losing the stylus by it falling out!

- When the phone is ringing, you can turn it over to mute the call

- There is a marble game with an accelerometer included, also tied to vibration motor

- It was designed for haptic feedback, but the user experience wasn't satisfactory

- The screen is NOT capacitive due to acceptable user experience for handwriting recognition essential in asian markets

- There is tempered glass on the front of the Touch Diamond, a first for a HTC device. Touch surface -> tempered glass -> LCD

- It doesn't auto rotate all apps, just Album, Browser etc.

- The GPU (graphics accelerator) IS in use

- There is NO microSD slot, adding it would have added 2mm to the chassis

- There is a built in mass storage mode. When you use it to add content from your PC, the music and photo apps automagically update

- The Browser uses the Opera rendering engine, but completely HTC engineered UI

Guest tamanaco
I think it's safe to say it's not meant to - that would be the Raphael, will obviously will appear at some point, just not today.

The "Diamond" is just the poster boy for this new Touch line, the most cuddly and consumer-facing arm of their WinMo line. The Raphael (or Tytn III if they call it that) will be all hard-nosed business, taking the best from the Diamond and putting it in a more feature-heavy suit.

I agree with your assessment, but given the hype that preceded this HTC event... I'm a bit disappointed. The Diamond has nothing that I'd call radical in design or functionality. The user interface (Touch Flo 3D) looks much improved and the hardware has been somewhat enhanced. It is a good thing that this interface "replaces" the WM6.x homescreen. The Achilles heel of these new breed of HTC devices based on the current incarnation of WM6.x is the Web Browser. Being able to experience web pages as they were intended is PIE biggest drawback. They retrofitted Opera into this "Diamond" in order to go to market as soon as possible. HTC realized that they needed to provide a better browsing experience for users, but it still falls way short as compared to the iPhone. What I gather from the announcement... is that MS was not ready with their new mobile browser for this release... so Diamond owners will have to wait for a PIE upgrade in the future. MS does not have a reputation of playing nice with competing browsers on their platforms. It won't be long before they try to break Opera if it gets too popular. The browser for MS is an strategic tool as it is the "primary" window to online content. As for the other hardware enhancements... I still think the Xperia X1 has the edge as I compare it to the Diamond.

As I read in recent post, it looks like this thing has no microSD... Does it have some other way of expanding the storage?... For a device that is supposed to provide an improved Multimedia experience... lack of local storage is not what I will call an improvement.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the Raphael has to offer... if it indeed exists

Edited by tamanaco

Guest MAK11
Some great little tidbits of info from my recently finished session...

- When the stylus is removed in a call, it starts a note for that person. Removing the stylus turns on the device. There is a magnetic latch for stylus, no more losing the stylus by it falling out!

- When the phone is ringing, you can turn it over to mute the call

- There is a marble game with an accelerometer included, also tied to vibration motor

- It was designed for haptic feedback, but the user experience wasn't satisfactory

- The screen is NOT capacitive due to acceptable user experience for handwriting recognition essential in asian markets

- There is tempered glass on the front of the Touch Diamond, a first for a HTC device. Touch surface -> tempered glass -> LCD

- It doesn't auto rotate all apps, just Album, Browser etc.

- The GPU (graphics accelerator) IS in use

- There is NO microSD slot, adding it would have added 2mm to the chassis

- There is a built in mass storage mode. When you use it to add content from your PC, the music and photo apps automagically update

- The Browser uses the Opera rendering engine, but completely HTC engineered UI

What about video capture? I'm guessing that it's like the Xepria ? 640x480?

Guest shootydogthing

:D

I think the Raphael exists, perhaps just as a prototype, but it exists.

I'm just waiting for it. I've still got approx 14 months in my contract, so I'll be going with the NEXT generation after this.

They're not going to ditch the form factor of the Raphael though.

Oh, did anyone notice? 192MB RAM!!!

I'm guessing autorotate is in HTC apps only?

Hmm.

Still waiting for the Rapahel

Edited by shootydogthing

Guest MAK11
I'm guessing autorotate is in HTC apps only?

Hmm.

Still waiting for the Rapahel

Developers will just have to add support for it (just like they do with VGA) so I wouldn't worry.

Guest shootydogthing

...I want. So badly. But i need a keyboard.

Roll on the Raphael. And next year. And possibly the Rapahel's successor :D

Guest nuttyphilt
Raphael is the one for me, but the new soft keyboard are sweet!

P

In your liveblog you mentioned you saw someone with a Raphael. Have you managed to grab that man and quiz him about it? :D

Edit: sorry, I think it was Matt who mentioned it.

Edited by nuttyphilt

Guest shootydogthing

I'm guessing the Raphael will have Micro SD... Seeing as no NAND... and the keyboard will make it a little thicker anyways....

I192MB RAM! Still can't get over it!

Guest Paul (MVP)

I need to recheck the video, but i'm sure when I went into the about screen it was 128MB RAM!

That said, the camera is 3.1MP not 3.2MP as it says in the press release!

P

Guest PaulWayne

Hi Paul

Watched the live coverage..well done

I was an early adopter of the THC touch (on Orange) and I am keen to upgrade to the Diamond but I understand each operator will tweek the operating system, when the dust has settled do you think you might be able to put together a note detailing the tweeks that each operator is offering?

Paul W.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, external volume keys, yes/no?

And is it definitely a scroll wheel on the front?

Yes to volume keys, scroll wheel is actually a zoom wheel for Album and Opera. NOT a scroll wheel :D

P

Guest shootydogthing

Shame...

Also, a lot of people are saying there's no WiFi, product sheet and a lot of the photos/video beg to differ, is there wifi?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.