Samsung F480

Guest 246810

Guest 246810

I didn't know quite where to put this as the upcoming Samsung F480 doesn't really qualify as a smartphone yet it stands apart from basic phones. (See pic below)

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_f480-review-236p2.php

It is due to be released in the UK from the 19th of May 9 (7 days time) yet I can't yet find a precise figure on the maximum memory card it'll accept. Some sites cite 4GB memory cards as the maximum, whereas the Samsung manual quotes 8GB (Page 18):

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.3_080428.pdf

So does anyone know the maximum storage card this phone will take with certainty?

I was also wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase cases, screen protectors and cases for the upcoming Samsung F480 (7 days now till its release). I've searched long and hard on the internet but have only managed to find Durasec screen protectors off Amazon.

Guest Confucious

If if it takes 4 or 8 Gb Micro cards it means it can take SDHC cards and currently 4 or 8 Gb is the max - but bigger will come out with time and it should be able to take those.

Not a phone I'd be interested in but each to his own!

Have fun!

Guest 246810
If if it takes 4 or 8 Gb Micro cards it means it can take SDHC cards and currently 4 or 8 Gb is the max - but bigger will come out with time and it should be able to take those.

Not a phone I'd be interested in but each to his own!

Have fun!

Thanks Confucious. I have the MDA Vario III (TyTN II) but have come to the conclusion that it sucks. Out of curiousity, why is the Samsung F480 not a phone you'd be interested in? It has a 5MP camera, and have now confirmed it has an 8GB memory card storage on its downloaded manual, Radio with RDS and is pretty slim, ect ect

Guest 246810
Nice little device, one for the other half me thinks.

So in essence, you believe the Samsung F480 to be feminine? What exactly definesa feminine phone in your opinion? I have no issue with it because I'm female myself and I'm tired of the McChunky MDA Vario III which is practically a brick.

Just so you know, its not yet released but will be from the 19th of May (6 days time) It certainly seems to be much more highly rated than the Kaiser and with good reason too. Enjoy your lagging unreliable HTC devices; I'll be moving onto bigger and better things better known as Samsung!

Guest Confucious
Out of curiousity, why is the Samsung F480 not a phone you'd be interested in?

I use my phone for Push email, internet browsing and a lot more than just a camera (although this one does seem to have a great one) and music. With 7.2 Mb HSDPA the F480 has the fastest download speeds available but I have no idea what browser it has or if it can do push email or how many third party programs will be available for it (I use a lot).

If the features it has are the ones you want then it looks a great phone - go for it.

Let us know what you think when you get it, could you do a review?

Guest 8ball

Guys,

The sgh-f480 phone is not a smartphone, its a touch screen standard mobile.

It has an Access Browser, Samsung OS, I couldn't get Java apps running on it ( Jad, Jar) and only supports headsets and file transfer for Bluetooth so forget trying to pair a BT GPS. If you are interested in adding apps or games forget it. The touch input tries to mimic the Iphone but is not as slick. it claims to be a music device but you can only use the supplied Samsung connector headset. The 5MP camera does create good photos though. It has email but only via standard pop3. No Hotmail.

One for those looking for a good standard camera phone. It's also a fingerprint magnet though! the battery life is very impressive though, outlasted my SE K800i.

Guest 246810

I use my phone for Push email, internet browsing and a lot more than just a camera (although this one does seem to have a great one) and music. With 7.2 Mb HSDPA the F480 has the fastest download speeds available but I have no idea what browser it has or if it can do push email or how many third party programs will be available for it (I use a lot).

If the features it has are the ones you want then it looks a great phone - go for it.

Let us know what you think when you get it, could you do a review?

I've been wondering about third party programmes myself.... I will do a review, but that expect anything breath taking. I did fin this is depth review however: http://www.digeverything.com/materials/news/367.html

And yes, I certainly think I will be getting it but it looks like the release date has been pushed even further back now

Guest 246810

Guys,

The sgh-f480 phone is not a smartphone, its a touch screen standard mobile.

It has an Access Browser, Samsung OS, I couldn't get Java apps running on it ( Jad, Jar) and only supports headsets and file transfer for Bluetooth so forget trying to pair a BT GPS. If you are interested in adding apps or games forget it. The touch input tries to mimic the Iphone but is not as slick. it claims to be a music device but you can only use the supplied Samsung connector headset. The 5MP camera does create good photos though. It has email but only via standard pop3. No Hotmail.

One for those looking for a good standard camera phone. It's also a fingerprint magnet though! the battery life is very impressive though, outlasted my SE K800i.

Yep, I'm aware its not a smartphone but still has a plethora of features which is what has attracted me to the phone. As for external GPS and if what you say is true, I wasn't planning to use this and I barely ever use it on my MDA Vario III. Google maps on the internet will more than sufficient to get me from point A to Point B. As for being prohibited from downloading games and apps, are you sure because phones released from years ago allow you to download games... And I also think that the phone can play music with more than the supplied connector headset. I've viewed quite a few bluetooth stereo headphones will assert that they are compatible with the Samsung F480. And as for the fingerprints, you're certainly correct; however I will aim to look for a slim and fitting protector

Guest Confucious

If it does what you want then go for it! It looks a nice phone if it has the features you want, whens the latest release date though?

Guest 246810
If it does what you want then go for it! It looks a nice phone if it has the features you want, whens the latest release date though?

Vodafone have announced May 29th as their release date: http://blog.phoneslimited.co.uk/2008/05/13...e-release-date/

Carfone warehouse have pushed it back further but I don't know when.

I think it is fair enough to say that the phone will be available around early June

And yes, it is a nice phone and it has the features I want

Guest 246810
Gives you plenty of time to sort out which network and data plan you want then :D

Good luck.

Thanks for the good luck!

Yup, plenty of time. I’ve decided on 3 on pay as you go with a top up of £15 per month with the £5 per month internet access. But hey, because I’ll be buying it sim unlocked, I can easily switch the sim card if I'm not satisfied with 3.

Guest Confucious

Any idea of the cost of it SIM free? Why not grt it subsidised on a contract? I normally by my phones off eBay because they are cheap and I allready have a very good contract (I pay £20.51 for flext35 and W'n'W Plus) but if I wanted a new phone and didn't already have a contract I'd probably get one.

Three used to be awful but I've heard a lot of good things about them recently so they are definitely worth a try. Hope they work for you!

Guest 246810
Any idea of the cost of it SIM free? Why not grt it subsidised on a contract? I normally by my phones off eBay because they are cheap and I allready have a very good contract (I pay £20.51 for flext35 and W'n'W Plus) but if I wanted a new phone and didn't already have a contract I'd probably get one.

Three used to be awful but I've heard a lot of good things about them recently so they are definitely worth a try. Hope they work for you!

I'm currently on a contract with T Mobile for my MDA Vario III and I've realised that in the eight months of my 12 month long contract that contracts are not for me. I will only ever do pay as you go from now on, or that 1 month contract option that netwrorks like 02 are advertising (I think its called 'simplicity'). One thing I've found is that with a contract phone, I pay much more a month than I would have done if I had opted for pay as you go. One of the reasons for this is the exclusion of 0845/08457/ 0870 ect numbers from all networks contract pay plans. And believe me- I make many of phone calls beginning with these numbers. Websites like www.saynoto0870.com do help but some alternative landline numbers cannot be found for banks, retailers ect.

As for the price of the Samsung F480 SIM free, the cheapest prices I've found are the following:

http://www.timtechs.com/samsun..._prd315.html

Roughly £255 pounds was quoted to me by an assistant of this company. The price of the Samsung F480 is not stated on the website yet, but I was told its price would be very similar to that of the Samsung Soul. (Keep in mind that the quotes for other phone are in USD). Also, if you compare the phone costs of many other phones, you'll notice how much substantially cheaper Tim Techs are

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/16288.htm

UK website quotes £319.95

http://www.superetrader.co.uk/samsung-sghf...one-p-3428.html

A division of www. super.gps.co.uk

314.99 is the price

Edited by 246810

Guest Confucious

Not including 08 numbers is a real pain, isn't it? I just avoid them like the plague! They are a real con and should be banned IMHO

The reason TimTechs quote in USD is because they are in the US aren't they? Which means you will have to pay tax and duties when the phone comes into this country - I would be surprised if it works out any cheaper - find out before you order! Also, will the warranty be valid in this country if you buy from abroad?

If you have to pay >£300 for the phone that is the equivalent of £25/month over 12 months so if you could get the phone free on contract....

Good luck.

PS two of your links ain your last post actually point to the review not where they are supposed to!

Guest 246810
Not including 08 numbers is a real pain, isn't it? I just avoid them like the plague! They are a real con and should be banned IMHO

Tell me about it! I couldn't agree more

The reason TimTechs quote in USD is because they are in the US aren't they? Which means you will have to pay tax and duties when the phone comes into this country - I would be surprised if it works out any cheaper - find out before you order! Also, will the warranty be valid in this country if you buy from abroad?

Yes, TimTechs is a US company. The only fees I will have to pay for is shipping and delivery which I have calculated come to about 33 British pounds. That puts the cost of the phone, shipping and delivery to about £280, which is cheaper than the £314.95 British companies are charging. However, I spoke to an assistant today who informed me that they will be a creating a .co.uk version of their website so shipping and delivery costs won’t be as great as the phones would be sourced from UK soil.

As for the warranty, it still would be valid as most of Tim Tech’s phones come from the European market. However, if a fault occurred with the phone, It’d have to be send it to the European company. Extended warranty for 1 year at the cost of £30 is also on offer.

If you have to pay >£300 for the phone that is the equivalent of £25/month over 12 months so if you could get the phone free on contract....

Good luck.

I did consider this, however I feel pretty restricted by contract phones. Also, £25 per month on a T Mobile 12 month contract (and before you suggest I will never consider an 18 month contract) provides a poor amount of minutes.

I have looked at T Mobile's solo 30 day contract. For just £15 per month, you can get 350 minutes or 650 texts! I certainly have found what suits me.

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phon...rd/pay-monthly/

PS two of your links ain your last post actually point to the review not where they are supposed to!

Oh, and sorry about the links. Here are the correct links

http://www.timtechs.com/samsung_brd12.html

This link directs you to a list of sim unlocked phones. It doesn't offer a price for the F480, but you can view the cost of the Samsung Soul which is a bit over $500/£250.

http://www.superetrader.co.uk/samsung-sghf...one-p-3428.html

£314.99

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/16288.htm

££319.95

Guest Confucious

Get TimTech to confirm in writing that they will pay any duties due - if they ship it from the States Customs and Revenue WILL charge you....

But you'll be OK if it's shipped from the EU - but then they will charge VAT - Just make 100% certain you wont be stung for any extra charges.

The T deal seems very good - can you add W'n'W to it?

The £25/ month you save is on top of what you are paying so with a 12 month contract if you can get the phone for free you can pay up to £40 per month for the same money.

just a couple of things for you to think about - but you seem to know what youi are doing!

Good luck.

Guest 246810
Get TimTech to confirm in writing that they will pay any duties due - if they ship it from the States Customs and Revenue WILL charge you....

But you'll be OK if it's shipped from the EU - but then they will charge VAT - Just make 100% certain you wont be stung for any extra charges.

Good idea. I will do this just to be certain!

The T deal seems very good - can you add W'n'W to it?

I’ve just spoken to a customer service assistant who says this is most likely possible. Moreover, I was actually told that if I wait to the end of my contract, I could get a better deal on the solo deal!

My revised plan is to purchase the Samsung F480 SIM free when it is released and place my T Mobile SIM into the phone. I’ll sell my MDA Vario III with the Sony bluetooth headphones I purchased (and get better quality ones for myself), along with the three new styluses I purchased from Amazon but never opened and used, and the Bluetooth keyboard I purchased from Expansys. When the T Mobile contract ends, I will simply purchase this ‘solo’ SIM (which I should get a good deal from due to just finishing my 12 month contract).

The £25/ month you save is on top of what you are paying so with a 12 month contract if you can get the phone for free you can pay up to £40 per month for the same money.

just a couple of things for you to think about - but you seem to know what youi are doing!

Good luck.

But that’s just it, I can’t get the phone for free on a 12 month contract and for £25 per month. I was told by an advisor that on a 12 month contract, the handset will cost roughly £149. Also keep in mind that £25 per month on a 12 month contract gives you only a bit more than a couple of hours per month. That is hardly sufficient for me.

Hmmm... you are starting to sound like an undercover T Mobile employee trying to tie me into a contract so as to add to company profits (I stroke my chin and ponder intensely)

Edited by 246810

Guest Confucious
But that’s just it, I can’t get the phone for free on a 12 month contract and for £25 per month. I was told by an advisor that on a 12 month contract, the handset will cost roughly £149.
If you are going to pay £15 / month anyway you are looking at £40 on a contract - ask how much it would be on a £35 / month contract - if it's free you'd be saving the equiv of £5/month by tying yourself in to a 12 month contract - just a thought.

Hmmm... you are starting to sound like an undercover T Mobile employee

Wish I was - then I'd get 50% discount rather than the 25% discount I got when I joined :D

Just a very satisfied customer.

Guest 246810
If you are going to pay £15 / month anyway you are looking at £40 on a contract - ask how much it would be on a £35 / month contract - if it's free you'd be saving the equiv of £5/month by tying yourself in to a 12 month contract - just a thought.

Wish I was - then I'd get 50% discount rather than the 25% discount I got when I joined :D

Just a very satisfied customer.

Saving £5 per month is not really worth tying myself into a contract with poor mintutes (170 minutes) in my opinion and on a 18 month contract (the phone will not be free on flext 35 on a 12 month contract). Flexibility and not being tied into things is a big selling factor for me. We already live in almost Orwellian society where our freedoms are controlled extensively- I won't add to that by allowing networks tie me into another contract, and have that hold on me that they do on their contract customoers.

As for the quipp about you being a undercover T Mobile employee, I was just kidding! Tee hee!

Guest Confucious

170 mins is £15/month which isn't very good value but what I was saying was that if the phone was free you could spend another £25/ month on a 12 month contract and still save money - hence getting far more minutes.

But if you don't want a contract that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 246810
170 mins is £15/month which isn't very good value but what I was saying was that if the phone was free you could spend another £25/ month on a 12 month contract and still save money - hence getting far more minutes.

But if you don't want a contract that's fine.

I see what you're saying however. I'm just so tired of contract phones and don't see myself going back on one anytime soon.

I have discovered that 02 are offering the phone for free on flext 35 however.

Guest Confucious
I have discovered that 02 are offering the phone for free on flext 35 however.

Wow! O2 are doing Flext now? They've finally caught up with T-Mobile?

;-)

Guest 246810
Wow! O2 are doing Flext now? They've finally caught up with T-Mobile?

;-)

Tee hee! My bad- no 02 aren't doing flext. They are offering the phone for free on their £35 per month contract