The official Celio REDFLY 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, I like the idea either I can use it with my device, or the wife can just pick it up and use it with her Touch Dual!

P

Guest mosamjc

Paul, here's a question for you that no one seems to have touched on quite yet, and is extremely important to me as a university student torn between this hot piece of kit and and a equally enticing EEE 901, MSI Wind or the like (although with a seriously reduced battery life), how is the web browsing experience on the Redfly? I don't really consider wm 5 and 6's PIE a valid browser, so I was wondering if you had tried it with Opera 8.65, Netfront, or the spiffy new betas of Opera that are floating around the web? Lastly, have you tried Skyfire on the Redfly (I've used Skyfire a little over a week now and I am completely addicted)? I absolutely love your site and what you are doing for the technology's mobile future--keep up the good work and I look forward to your reply.

Sam

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, here's a question for you that no one seems to have touched on quite yet, and is extremely important to me as a university student torn between this hot piece of kit and and a equally enticing EEE 901, MSI Wind or the like (although with a seriously reduced battery life), how is the web browsing experience on the Redfly? I don't really consider wm 5 and 6's PIE a valid browser, so I was wondering if you had tried it with Opera 8.65, Netfront, or the spiffy new betas of Opera that are floating around the web? Lastly, have you tried Skyfire on the Redfly (I've used Skyfire a little over a week now and I am completely addicted)? I absolutely love your site and what you are doing for the technology's mobile future--keep up the good work and I look forward to your reply.

Sam

I'm currently using opera 8.65 which works very well. I've also tried Iris Browser, but that's a bit slow. I'm gonna give Opera Mini and Netfront a go when I have a minute!

Unfortunately Skyfire haven't let me in the beta yet, so can't comment on that :D

P

Guest micaels

Paul,

I've another question for you. Is it possible to regionalise the keyboard softwarewise? Do you think it would be possible to use the swedish letters åäö on it?

Guest El Boyo

$500 (£250. approx), a bit high really for something Rasberry Connect already does with your Windows PC. It wouldn't be so bad if it was like the HTC Advantage / Shift.

Guest Monolithix

Raspberry Trueconnect (if that's what you're referring to) doesn't scale the resolution to take full advantage of the 800x480 display!

Guest mosamjc

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I'm looking forward to hear about the Netfront findings. As far as the Skyfire goes, I'm not sure why they would let me in of all people and not you as the most significant thing I use it for is watching full episodes of Scrubs in beautiful native flash in random places on my i617 and 8525. As one mac guy to another, and for the grande sake of techie exploration (I really want the Redfly to be turn out to be killer device), I'd be happy to transfer my skyfire beta account over to you so you can put it through the paces. PM me if you are intereted.

Sam

Guest unicron

hey Paul, i've got another question. even though the pic you posted is using a diamond with windows 6.1 would I beable to use my Vario 3 with WM 6.1 (cooked rom) or does it have to be certified roms?

I know this is probably not possible but when you do your video review is it likely that we could get a downloable version? Wmv or avi?

oh one more thing is the version your testing stock build or pre production build cause all the other reviews I see on the net are pre production with missing elements

thanks

Guest shootydogthing

Yes you can run non-certified ROMS provided you do some jiggery-pokery first, but NOT a ROM from the Diamond if that's what you're after

Guest unicron
Yes you can run non-certified ROMS provided you do some jiggery-pokery first, but NOT a ROM from the Diamond if that's what you're after

:D nah i got my rom from this forum its just that they only state wm6.0 ad i got 6.1 but weeeeely want one of these celio redfly's but would be gutted if i could't get it to work for some months

Guest Beezer

Looks nicer than the EEEPC and more usable. Sorry it just does. I saw an eeepc up close on the Asus stand at Ideal Home and though "My god is that it?" Very unimpressed with system in the flesh rather than in PR pics. Don't buy one of them unseen mail order ^^

Guest Paul (MVP)
:( nah i got my rom from this forum its just that they only state wm6.0 ad i got 6.1 but weeeeely want one of these celio redfly's but would be gutted if i could't get it to work for some months

Celio have announced 6.1 support recently, and it works with my 6.1 Kaiser :D

P

Guest l3v5y
access to USB flash drives

How many USB ports does it have? I'm thinking it might be a cool way to copy a ROM from a memory stick to a memory card and flash it from there. And also the functionality of being able to get more stuff connected to my phone...

Guest jonburge

Paul,

I am seriously considering the device. My job requires the carrying and review of a lot of pdf files. I would need to be able to review multiple page pdf's. I currently use the htc advantage, besides my Shift. The advantage is just a little slow and hard to review the docs when viewing page width mode. I can review from my Shift, but only with the Vista side of things, which has a 2 hour battery life.

The Redfly may fit the bill perfectly with long battery life and comfortable viewing. Can you try loading some multiple page pdf's (perhaps about 10 pages worth) and let me know if the REDFLY if viewable/usable as a pdf reviewing device.

Guest soup dragon
Can't you use something like these? Cost less than a tenner and small enough to sit permanently in a USB socket.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/24/pr...etooth_adaptor/

You most certainly can and it works great. The eee has 3 x USB, VGA output, 30 second boot, can take 2 gig of ram, has both wired/wireless ethernet built-in and can run XP easily.

For a portable device I'm not sure what more you need.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mdweight

Paul

Can you post the drivers here? My boss let me borrow his RedFly for testing, but he only has smartphone edition drivers and I need drivers for my Sprint Touch.

THANKS!

Guest fauno

Hi Paul,

have you checked the redfly with the Diamond?

I'm not being able to get the 800x480 resolution as with the TyTNII and don't know why.

Many thanks!

Guest Monolithix

I believe the Redfly is not yet compatible with the VGA screen on the diamond (or any other VGA devices for that matter). Apparently it'll be fixed at some point...

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Mine's turned up today via FedEx in the UK ( no 'presales' phonecall blather required, just ordered it and it came!) but so far I'm finding it quite 'laggy' over USB or bluetooth with a HTC Tytn running the official wm6 rom. For example, I'm typing faster than the characters appear onscreen - just wondering if anyone else has found this and if it's maybe a device / CPU /driver issue? Nothing else installed on the Tytn.

I'll fish out my P6500 and try it on that later.

Build quality seems OK - my keyboard seems raised in the centre slightly as if it's not seated correctly. No UK adapter with the charger (though it is multi-voltage) and seems pretty much retail boxed. I've taken some pics I'll add later.

I do like this. I'd love it if it responded better to typing etc.

M.S

P.s the customs invoice said $299 despite them quoting $499 on the website. I'll check my card statement ASAP in case it's legit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.