WM6.1 available on HTC site

Guest TrippinBilly

Guest TrippinBilly
Links are great for showing what your talking about.

Sorry, figured most folks would know where the HTC site is.

http://www.htc.com

Pretty sure you also have to have your device registered with HTC as well.

Guest mwright
Pretty sure you also have to have your device registered with HTC as well.

Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to register the HTC Branded Orange TytnII!

Bummer!!

Guest shirozina
Unfortunately you don't seem to be able to register the HTC Branded Orange TytnII!

Bummer!!

Same with my Vodafone :D - what is the likeleyhood of Vodafone themselves offereing this upgrade I wonder.....

Guest woogal
Same with my Vodafone :D - what is the likeleyhood of Vodafone themselves offereing this upgrade I wonder.....

I've heard it's still in testing. Don't have any idea of a release date.

Guest TrippinBilly
Please kindly show us the link.I browsed HTC up and down but cannot see where to download.My device is registered.

Here's the actual link. May not work because you have to sign in via the e-Club (where I actually registered my device).

HTC e-Club Link to Kaiser WM6.1 ROM

p.s. just tried the above link. It makes you login first.

Edited by TrippinBilly

Guest noirs
Here's the actual link. May not work because you have to sign in via the e-Club (where I actually registered my device).

HTC e-Club Link to Kaiser WM6.1 ROM

p.s. just tried the above link. It makes you login first.

Hi, I tried that link, after registering my device, and it takes me to a download page:

- I then check the box 'please check this box if you wish to download this software'

- Then it shows me two drop down boxes, the first only has 'please select' in it, it must be missing something, and the 2nd has 'please select ftp'

- I select an FTP, then I click download

- Then i get taken to this url: http://member.htc.com/downloadfiles/RomCode/HTC%20TyTN%20II/-- and I see a 404 error.

any ideas?

I registered my HTC TyTN II with the site...

Guest TrippinBilly
Hi, I tried that link, after registering my device, and it takes me to a download page:

- I then check the box 'please check this box if you wish to download this software'

- Then it shows me two drop down boxes, the first only has 'please select' in it, it must be missing something, and the 2nd has 'please select ftp'

- I select an FTP, then I click download

- Then i get taken to this url: http://member.htc.com/downloadfiles/RomCode/HTC%20TyTN%20II/-- and I see a 404 error.

any ideas?

I registered my HTC TyTN II with the site...

Hmmm.... I just clicked on the link again, went through the whole process, and the drop downs populated correctly (see attached PDF document).

Is your TyTN II registered with HTC as well?

download.pdf

Guest noirs
Hmmm.... I just clicked on the link again, went through the whole process, and the drop downs populated correctly (see attached PDF document).

Is your TyTN II registered with HTC as well?

Hi Billy, thx for the fast response. how do you mean "as well"? Its registered with HTC e-club only I think.

Here is a copy/paste (with my serial # changed)

(hmm it didn't copy/paste well at all)

font_htceclub_RegHistory.gif

Your DeviceSNRegistration DateWarranty Period

HTC TyTN II

HT------------

5/25/2008

1/11/2008 ~ 4/11/2009

Note: Your POP (Proof of Purchase) determines your warranty period. If you cannot provide your POP, your product will be warranted within the above period.

Edited by noirs

Guest TrippinBilly
Hi Billy, thx for the fast response. how do you mean "as well"? Its registered with HTC e-club only I think.

Here is a copy/paste (with my serial # changed)

(hmm it didn't copy/paste well at all)

font_htceclub_RegHistory.gif

Your DeviceSNRegistration DateWarranty Period

HTC TyTN II

HT------------

5/25/2008

1/11/2008 ~ 4/11/2009

Note: Your POP (Proof of Purchase) determines your warranty period. If you cannot provide your POP, your product will be warranted within the above period.

Well, I'm not sure if there is another place to register your phone other than via the e-Club. That's why I said the as-well part of my last response. There very well may be one spot to register (which would be the e-Club).

If you're still having problems, you might try this link since Paul has it posted here. I believe it's the same ROM HTC is publishing.

HTC Kaiser WM6.on MoDaCo

Guest Mr Alom

Bummer!!

Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't register my T-Moblie TytnII (HTC Kaiser) too :D !!! That's not fare! :( !!

Guest hateus

Bummer!!

Orange said there is a update out soon and it will be on the orange website to download, it was ment to be out mid may. So keep checking Here.

Guest Webreaper

I wouldn't get too excited. I flashed my TyTNII yesterday, and frankly there is nothing that you're missing out on. From what I can see, the changes are:

o Zoom in IE - completely pointless

o SMS threaded conversations (completely pointless)

o Slightly different layout in Email account setup screen

o Restoring the device from standby doesn't return to today screen by default (i.e., apps aren't minimized when you press the power button).

o MS Live installed by default (I use Palringo so it's irrelevant)

o There's some new rubbish from MS to help with "getting started" and to report crashes to MS.

There is no performance differential (other than that gained by doing a hard-reset).

So it's hardly worth the effort, really.

On a similar note, does anyone know how to change it so that apps are all minimized when restoring from standby?

Guest galmok
I wouldn't get too excited. I flashed my TyTNII yesterday, and frankly there is nothing that you're missing out on. From what I can see, the changes are:

o Restoring the device from standby doesn't return to today screen by default (i.e., apps aren't minimized when you press the power button).

o There's some new rubbish from MS to help with "getting started" and to report crashes to MS.

There is no performance differential (other than that gained by doing a hard-reset).

On a similar note, does anyone know how to change it so that apps are all minimized when restoring from standby?

I really appreciate this information as I was just about to upgrade and now I know I wont gain anything and according to other posters, I'll even lose quite a chunk of memory. If only there was a performance increase, but I guess HTC will never be in my consideration regarding mobil phones anymore. I burned my fingers on that one (fortunately, it wasn't my money, but it is still a huge let-down).

Guest jim.mason

I completly agree with your comments too - once you have the phone setup correctly there are very minor changes. Performance increase - what increase, the only change I have seen is in typing using the onscreen keypad

Also point out to everyone that this is purely for HTC branded phones, anything supplied from any of the networks cannot be registered at the HTC site and therefore cant download the update. The networks themselves are working on an update (so I understand) and will become available shortly.

Guest Boinng

I have a Vodafone V1615, which had HardSPL installed six months ago, allowing me to the flash the original HTC Rom back then (Win 6.0).

Of course with HardSPL installed I could install this new 6.1 update on my branded device, and did so at the weekend. On the whole I felt it was an improvement to the original, but it was freezing in quite an irritating way - button presses getting ignored, then coming back to life a few seconds later, that kind of thing.

It now turns out that this behaviour is caused by HardSPL - HTC have updated the SPL in the new Rom, which HardSPL users weren't getting. I re-flashed my phone with just the SPL portion this morning (without losing any data happily) and it's now running perfectly.

For me, this update definitely is much better - aside from the few new features of 6.1 (threaded SMS and the new IE are both nice) the whole thing feels much snappier and more responsive. Screen changing (portrait to landscape) is more pleasant, tho not any faster, and there are less delays generally. It's no miracle cure for the driver shortcomings, but it's a step in the right direction, and I'm definitely sticking with it.

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Just flashed my HTC branded phone, I forgot that I will need to reinstall sprite backup on the device to restore my backup! and I forgot to connect my DVD writer to my new PSU when I installed it the other day, so now I have to dismantle my PC to connect the DVD drive in order to install sprite backup to restore my settings!

AHH wish I hadn't done it now ;-)

EDIT: Oh wonderfull, I used the version of sprite backup that came on the disc with the Tytn II to backup my device when it had WM6.0 on, now sprite backup tells me I should use a device upgrade file to restore onto a different rom versio, this is supposedly available on sprite software website, had a quick look couldn't find anything so am restoring anyway, fingers crossed :-) I really don't want to lose that backup as it will involve another trip to my mobile provider to setup data services again.

EDIT2: Ok so it failed now I`m stuck at the HTC screen, I`ve tried to do a hard reset following the instructions I`ve read on the net but it doesn't seem to be doing it, how do you perform a hard reset? Looks like I`m going to have to take a trip to my mobile provider.

EDIT3: Ok do I`ve managed to hard reset it (there was a bit of a technique to it and it refused to do it at first) and I`m now back at the align device screen, so the moral of this story is: don't flash your device thinking you can rely on a backup you made with sprite backup, unless someone can find this device upgrade file talked about, it would be nice to have that.

EDIT4: Oh great looks like I should've used a tool available from sprite backup to create this device upgrade file before I flashed the ROM, ok its off to the mobile operator I go!!

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Webreaper

One other thing to add, re: the new "threaded SMS conversation" feature.

When I send an SMS, it appears as a conversation, despite the fact that the recipient hasn't responded. So I send a text, and immediately it appears in my inbox. How counter-intuitive and dumb. Perhaps MS should have looked at how Google implemented threaded conversations in GMail before attempting this.

Anyone know how to turn it off and revert to the 'normal' style? I don't want to read the SMSes I've sent - I wrote them, and I know what's in them. I want to see the SMSes I've received. :D

Guest Webreaper
I really appreciate this information as I was just about to upgrade and now I know I wont gain anything and according to other posters, I'll even lose quite a chunk of memory. If only there was a performance increase, but I guess HTC will never be in my consideration regarding mobil phones anymore. I burned my fingers on that one (fortunately, it wasn't my money, but it is still a huge let-down).

Have to say, don't get this attitude at all. The phone performs fine. It could be better, but it's fine. It's a good device, considering it's nearly a year old. To dismiss all HTC handsets in future (including the excellent Diamond, plus their forthcoming Android phones) smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Obviously, I'd love a driver update to make TomTom smoother and video playback a bit better, but it's hardly a device-killer.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
Have to say, don't get this attitude at all. The phone performs fine. It could be better, but it's fine. It's a good device, considering it's nearly a year old. To dismiss all HTC handsets in future (including the excellent Diamond, plus their forthcoming Android phones) smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Obviously, I'd love a driver update to make TomTom smoother and video playback a bit better, but it's hardly a device-killer.

Regarding the device remains with last application on screen (not minimised) when the device enters standby, I am trying to see that if I run Windows Live Messenger in PocketIE and put the phone into standby will PocketIE keep refreshing every 2 mins, or will it stop refreshing as soon as you put it into standby. It would be a very usefull feature for me if this worked as I could stay signed into messenger with the phone locked in standby, with it refreshing via the still active GPRS connection, but alas I suspect as soon as the phone enters standby PocketIE stops refreshing and I will be timed out of messenger. As I don't have a full Internet data plan I can't use the built in messenger client, which would be much better.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Webreaper
Regarding the device remains with last application on screen (not minimised) when the device enters standby, I am trying to see that if I run Windows Live Messenger in PocketIE and put the phone into standby will PocketIE keep refreshing every 2 mins, or will it stop refreshing as soon as you put it into standby. It would be a very usefull feature for me if this worked as I could stay signed into messenger with the phone locked in standby, with it refreshing via the still active GPRS connection, but alas I suspect as soon as the phone enters standby PocketIE stops refreshing and I will be timed out of messenger. As I don't have a full Internet data plan I can't use the built in messenger client, which would be much better.

No, IE will not refresh if the device is in standby. When it's in standby the application is not active - whether it's minimized on device wake-up or not.

When you say you don't have a "full internet" data plan, do you mean they limit you for all non-HTTP traffic?

Try running Palringo in low-data mode. I believe it uses HTTPS tunnelling, so may not be included in your non-internet data allowance.

Guest Nick Le Lievre
No, IE will not refresh if the device is in standby. When it's in standby the application is not active - whether it's minimized on device wake-up or not.

When you say you don't have a "full internet" data plan, do you mean they limit you for all non-HTTP traffic?

Try running Palringo in low-data mode. I believe it uses HTTPS tunnelling, so may not be included in your non-internet data allowance.

I installed Palringo but it didn't work for me so I uninstalled it via remove programs, now everytime I soft reset I am left with a message which says the file 'palringo' cannot be opened, how do I get rid of this? I am reinstalling as a work around but I`d like to remove it altogether,