WM6.1 available on HTC site

Guest TrippinBilly

Guest markbrads
I have a Vodafone V1615, which had HardSPL installed six months ago, allowing me to the flash the original HTC Rom back then (Win 6.0).

Of course with HardSPL installed I could install this new 6.1 update on my branded device, and did so at the weekend. On the whole I felt it was an improvement to the original, but it was freezing in quite an irritating way - button presses getting ignored, then coming back to life a few seconds later, that kind of thing.

It now turns out that this behaviour is caused by HardSPL - HTC have updated the SPL in the new Rom, which HardSPL users weren't getting. I re-flashed my phone with just the SPL portion this morning (without losing any data happily) and it's now running perfectly.

For me, this update definitely is much better - aside from the few new features of 6.1 (threaded SMS and the new IE are both nice) the whole thing feels much snappier and more responsive. Screen changing (portrait to landscape) is more pleasant, tho not any faster, and there are less delays generally. It's no miracle cure for the driver shortcomings, but it's a step in the right direction, and I'm definitely sticking with it.

I found the same problems as you mention, belated actions and delays after screen and key presses...

How easy is it to flash just the SPL portion, are there any links for the files and/or instructions on how to do this.

Any help suggestions most appreaciated

Guest Mr Alom

Guys,

Thank you all for your feedbacks, I was really looking forward to update my device to the 6.1 ROM but I might give it a miss now. :D

Guest Webreaper
For me, this update definitely is much better - aside from the few new features of 6.1 (threaded SMS and the new IE are both nice) the whole thing feels much snappier and more responsive. Screen changing (portrait to landscape) is more pleasant, tho not any faster, and there are less delays generally.

Out of interest, how long is it since you hard-reset your device? If it's more than a couple of months, then this speed increase would have been apparent anyway, even if you'd just reset to 6.0 (hard-resetting the device always results in everything feeling snappy for the first 2-3 weeks). However, with the new build I notice absolutely no speed improvements, and if anything it's slower to switch to landscape mode.

What's also interesting is that Kaisers shipping recently have a newer build than this rom. A mate of mine got his a few weeks ago, and his pre-installed 6.1 rom shows build 19716, whereas the new ROM on the HTC site is 19212.

Guest Boinng
Out of interest, how long is it since you hard-reset your device? If it's more than a couple of months, then this speed increase would have been apparent anyway, even if you'd just reset to 6.0 (hard-resetting the device always results in everything feeling snappy for the first 2-3 weeks). However, with the new build I notice absolutely no speed improvements, and if anything it's slower to switch to landscape mode.

Just a few weeks ago actually - I got impatient and decided to try one of Dutty's 6.1 ROMs, didn't get on with it at all, and ended up going back to the original 6.0.

I don't mean to suggest that this update is any kind of performance miracle, but it is snappier IMHO. The pauses and occasional unresponsiveness I always had with the original ROM, and which initially worsened considerably with the 6.1 ROM, are now completely gone after the SPL change, and that's a real gain for me - but your mileage may vary.

I don't think the portrait->landscape switch is slower, it just pauses before doing the whole switch at once, while the old ROM took a similar time to do the same job in stages.

What's also interesting is that Kaisers shipping recently have a newer build than this rom. A mate of mine got his a few weeks ago, and his pre-installed 6.1 rom shows build 19716, whereas the new ROM on the HTC site is 19212.

Interesting. I'm sure the devs over on XDA would be interested in a ROM extract of that - if it's genuinely a newer/better version there's no reason why we couldn't all be running it.

Edited by Boinng

Guest Boinng
I found the same problems as you mention, belated actions and delays after screen and key presses...

How easy is it to flash just the SPL portion, are there any links for the files and/or instructions on how to do this.

Any help suggestions most appreaciated

I got excited enough about this yesterday to post a handy how-to guide on XDA - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=24

It really is pretty easy.

Guest Boinng
Anyone know how to turn it off and revert to the 'normal' style? I don't want to read the SMSes I've sent - I wrote them, and I know what's in them. I want to see the SMSes I've received. :D

There's a switch for it in the latest version of Kaisertweak - I've not tried it (I quite like it threaded) but it claims to switch between threaded and normal on 6.1 ROMs.

You'll need the latest XML file here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=349009

Guest burnsnet

I've taken the plunge and all is well EXCEPT for the GPS...

I've got the full version of TomTom 6.x on my device and it just doesn't see the GPS; the only GPS options I hace are: -

• Other NMEA GPS receiver
  • TomTom Bluetooth GPS receiver
  • TomTom Wired GPS receiver
  • Other Bluetooth GPS receiver

I've tried 'Other NMEA GPS receiver' and 'Other Bluetooth GPS receiver' using COM4 and baud rate of 4800 but no joy - any help would be greatly appreciated!

I used to have an option for an 'Internal GPS' but this doesn't exist... :D

Thanks in advance!

James

Edited by burnsnet

Guest rameses
Of course with HardSPL installed I could install this new 6.1 update on my branded device, and did so at the weekend. On the whole I felt it was an improvement to the original, but it was freezing in quite an irritating way - button presses getting ignored, then coming back to life a few seconds later, that kind of thing.

It now turns out that this behaviour is caused by HardSPL - HTC have updated the SPL in the new Rom, which HardSPL users weren't getting. I re-flashed my phone with just the SPL portion this morning (without losing any data happily) and it's now running perfectly.

I'm still suffering from the button sticking / ignored problem too. Can you advise how you did the SPL reflash as I'd like to give it a try.

Guest Webreaper

I've got the full version of TomTom 6.x on my device and it just doesn't see the GPS; the only GPS options I hace are: -

I've tried 'Other NMEA GPS receiver' and 'Other Bluetooth GPS receiver' using COM4 and baud rate of 4800 but no joy - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

James

When you say it couldn't see the GPS, do you mean it couldn't get a fix? First fix always takes a long time (25 mins or so). But don't mess with the WM GPS settings themselves, otherwise it's hard-reset time again...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ben1978

Thanks in advance!

James

I had a similar prob but with the 6.0 ROM. I had to set up in GPS settings "com 4". In Tom Tom use the Other NMEA GSP Reciever option selecting com 4 and baud of 9600. It worked for me.

Guest dillinger

That SSPL.exe thing just makes my phone white screen, I got this problem when I tried to flash it the first time around away from the vodaphone image.

Any ideas how to fix this?