3 UK roaming awesomeness

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Hey peeps, just wanted to share some 3 UK roaming awesomeness.

Scenario: On holiday for 3 weeks in Sardinia (Italy), need data access

Solution: 3's free roaming (including Data) on partner networks! i.e.

- dig out 3 prepay SIM

- add some credit (10 quid)

- buy 1 months worth of internet for a fiver

- put sim in phone

- when arriving in Sardinia, set phone to manual network selection to 3 Italy

- FREE FLAT RATE DATA!

SO awesome! The coverage here is excellent too... i'm writing this over HSDPA from my villa which is in a pretty remote location!

This will work on ANY 3 partner network...

P

Guest Looby

I found excellent full-strength signal in Portugal including in trains. Many free WiFi hotspots too. The difference between the standards in Europe and those in England are quite frightening! enjoy your hols.. :D

Guest mcwarre

If you have access to a "3" partner network you can use you UK inclusive minutes; calls are charged at your normal rates outside your inclusive minutes; you do not pay roaming fees if someone calls you either. Works a treat when I visit the relatives in the south of Ireland :D

Guest Dr Who
Hey peeps, just wanted to share some 3 UK roaming awesomeness.

Scenario: On holiday for 3 weeks in Sardinia (Italy), need data access

Solution: 3's free roaming (including Data) on partner networks! i.e.

- dig out 3 prepay SIM

- add some credit (10 quid)

- buy 1 months worth of internet for a fiver

- put sim in phone

- when arriving in Sardinia, set phone to manual network selection to 3 Italy

- FREE FLAT RATE DATA!

SO awesome! The coverage here is excellent too... i'm writing this over HSDPA from my villa which is in a pretty remote location!

P

One months worth of internet for a fiver? I thought that was £15 for 1Gb? Or are you just buying the ability to use data at a set price? If so, what is that price? Like, a pound a day or something? I am off to Sardinia in a few weeks time so this sounds very attractive. However, last time I tried to set up a 3 SIM it seemed to take weeks before I could activate it and actually pay for any credit!

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I wonder how this will work when the T-Mobile and 3 data sharing agreement kicks in. I.e. will I be able to get the same roaming with my T-Mo sim, or will I be charged Roaming data charges!

Have a good hols!

Guest tasman

I'm counting on the "3 Italy" (August - Venice area anyone been and tried the availability ?) as well but with a mobile broadband dongle. I have a 3 PAYG sim knocking around as well, might just put that in the Hermes for the cheaper phone calls. :-)

Guest Dr Who
Dr Who? When / where u going?

P

Probably just miss you - I am flying out 21st June. Heading to Valedoria, between Sassari and Olbia, on the coast. Never been before, so whats it like.

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Scenario: On holiday for 3 weeks in Sardinia (Italy), need data access..... <snip> i'm writing this over HSDPA from my villa which is in a pretty remote location!

P

Its a tough life being an MVP - did BillG help with the mortgage on your villa :-)

Seriously,

This sounds great - anyone know what 3 coverage is like in Gibraltar?

And how did you unlock your VarioIII to get the 3 sim working?

Ta

SF

Guest micaels

Awesome. Perfect knowing. Especially since I just switched to 3 fully here in Sweden. Got an awesome deal on flatrate text and talk for 40 US Dollar a month. A mohahahhah :D

Guest Paul (MVP)
Probably just miss you - I am flying out 21st June. Heading to Valedoria, between Sassari and Olbia, on the coast. Never been before, so whats it like.

Yeah, you arrive after i've left, i'm in Badesi - 7ks from Valledoria! :D

Spooky!

Our first time here too, really liking it so far, excellent beaches! 3 coverage here is EXCELLENT and speedy HSDPA too. Kinda fun doing journey logging in CamerAware (with TomTom running too) while we're here! lol!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Its a tough life being an MVP - did BillG help with the mortgage on your villa :-)

Seriously,

This sounds great - anyone know what 3 coverage is like in Gibraltar?

And how did you unlock your VarioIII to get the 3 sim working?

Ta

SF

lol, it's not MY villa! Although Bill, if you're reading this, pretty please... :D

I unlocked my V3 via imei-check ages ago.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
BTW Paul: I wanted to ask what tech did you bring with you? :D

MacBook, Redfly, Vario III, Zinc II, QTek 8500 and HP 614c.

MacBook = my main machine

Redfly = cool gadget and currently reviewing

Vario III = my main phone

QTek 8500 = holder of my main SIM while 3 SIM is in the Vario III

Zinc II = currently under review

HP 614c = currently under review (but has actually died!)

P

Guest micaels
MacBook, Redfly, Vario III, Zinc II, QTek 8500 and HP 614c.

MacBook = my main machine

Redfly = cool gadget and currently reviewing

Vario III = my main phone

QTek 8500 = holder of my main SIM while 3 SIM is in the Vario III

Zinc II = currently under review

HP 614c = currently under review (but has actually died!)

P

Cool tech. Im currently thinking on what to bring when I head to the US this summer. Ouch not fun that the phone has died. Is it the battery or? Can't you get HP to send you a new one?

Also do you know in which countries 3 has their own networks?

Edited by micaels

Guest Dr Who
Our first time here too, really liking it so far, excellent beaches!

Groovy - can't wait. Any restaurant recommendations? Or even better, great places to shop for ingredients?

Being dumb, but I am finding this a bit of a headbender ATM. So, the details of the coverage for PAYG are here?

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help_suppo...n.omp?cid=31506

So you are saying if I put a £5 add-on to this PAYG SIM I get free data access on my phone? (i.e. not use as a modem, for which I would need mobile broadband?)

Can you point me in the direction of this add-on, or give me the name. My experience of trying to add stuff to a 3 PAYG account has been pretty horrendous so far.........

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Cool tech. Im currently thinking on what to bring when I head to the US this summer. Ouch not fun that the phone has died. Is it the battery or? Can't you get HP to send you a new one?

Also do you know in which countries 3 has their own networks?

Be careful if you are taking laptops, PDA's or data to the US. They now have rights to confiscate laptops, and copy ALL your data. If it is encrypted, they also have rights to demand your keys.

Ensure you only take data with you, that you are happy to put on display!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Groovy - can't wait. Any restaurant recommendations? Or even better, great places to shop for ingredients?

Still scoping out the restaurants :D Drove thru your resort yesterday, looks nice, lots of nice beach :(

We are BBQing a lot, we went to Auchan in Sassari and bought a 20 euro BBQ, and picked up some stuff there too, else just using the local SISA supermarket. That said, we're here 3 weeks so buying a BBQ is pretty cost effective!

Do you have a car? It's a pretty big island to get around, and also has some great fun roads, even in a wheezy 1.2 'Clio Rip Curl' (as seen here!) :o

Being dumb, but I am finding this a bit of a headbender ATM. So, the details of the coverage for PAYG are here?

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/help_suppo...n.omp?cid=31506

So you are saying if I put a £5 add-on to this PAYG SIM I get free data access on my phone? (i.e. not use as a modem, for which I would need mobile broadband?)

Can you point me in the direction of this add-on, or give me the name. My experience of trying to add stuff to a 3 PAYG account has been pretty horrendous so far.........

Exactly.

Here's my whole process from start to finish...

- Go into 3 shop, get PAYG SIM for 10 quid with 10 quid credit

- Add 5 quid 1 month internet addon (NOT the mobile broadband one)

- Put SIM in phone on arrival, set device to 'manually select network' to ensure it stays on 3

- Set up GPRS (auto done by phone, but it's just three.co.uk for the APN, no username / pw)

SURF :lol:

P