3 UK roaming awesomeness

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest squall
Be careful if you are taking laptops, PDA's or data to the US. They now have rights to confiscate laptops, and copy ALL your data. If it is encrypted, they also have rights to demand your keys.

Ensure you only take data with you, that you are happy to put on display!

Oh my!

I guess this deal does not apply in the US, the US is not one of the countries listed on the website. Besides would i be right in thinking that data coverage there is still pretty poor? Im off to washington and san fran in june for a week or so, but Washington in October for 6 months. Im going to need to sort something out phone wise, i have various unlocked SPVs and the like, and an N95 on the three network.

I figure the N95 is not going to be a winner, any ideas on the best deals for a 6 month stint in the US, mainly for calls to other US numbers but also data access so i can get access to my emails, either as a modem or mobile data would be great.

Ash, paul, good knowing your both still here!

ian

Guest Paul (MVP)

Squall...

- Go to an AT&T store

- Ask for a GoPhone SIM, which will cost you $25 with $25 credit

- Get the SIM activated in store

- Put the SIM in your phone

- Dial 611

- Select the option to add MEdianet unlimited for $20 for 1 month

- Configure your GPRS settings

And you're done! 1 month flat rate HSDPA, and $5 credit left for calls / SMS too :D

P

PS Yes, i'm going to start collating this info in a special area in the wiki when I return from hols!

Guest squall
Squall...

- Go to an AT&T store

- Ask for a GoPhone SIM, which will cost you $25 with $25 credit

- Get the SIM activated in store

- Put the SIM in your phone

- Dial 611

- Select the option to add MEdianet unlimited for $20 for 1 month

- Configure your GPRS settings

And you're done! 1 month flat rate HSDPA, and $5 credit left for calls / SMS too :D

P

PS Yes, i'm going to start collating this info in a special area in the wiki when I return from hols!

Your a star, thanks ever so much!

Guest Dr Who
Still scoping out the restaurants :D Drove thru your resort yesterday, looks nice, lots of nice beach :(

We are BBQing a lot, we went to Auchan in Sassari and bought a 20 euro BBQ, and picked up some stuff there too, else just using the local SISA supermarket. That said, we're here 3 weeks so buying a BBQ is pretty cost effective!

Do you have a car? It's a pretty big island to get around, and also has some great fun roads, even in a wheezy 1.2 'Clio Rip Curl'

Cool. Beach = good. There is quite a host of us going so we have a nice big villa, outdoor kitchen and poolside BBQ. Looking into the car hire situation - we probably need a couple of people carriers, but as one of my friends is a bit of a car fan I suspect we might also hire something 'for fun'.

Here's my whole process from start to finish...

- Go into 3 shop, get PAYG SIM for 10 quid with 10 quid credit

- Add 5 quid 1 month internet addon (NOT the mobile broadband one)

- Put SIM in phone on arrival, set device to 'manually select network' to ensure it stays on 3

- Set up GPRS (auto done by phone, but it's just three.co.uk for the APN, no username / pw)

SURF :o

P

Thanks for that. I had a nightmare setting up 3 mobile broadband PAYG (using a vodafone 3G modem) a while ago. A bought a £10 SIM with £10 credit, which never appeared. I then had to register his card (he is a complete techno duffer) and then had to wait a week before it was activated to add more credit. Added £10 and bought the mobile broadband and it worked for about a minute. It then refused to work thereafter. So I could just grab his SIM but just have that terrible feeling, because the way things have gone, they will back charge him thousands of pounds of international data. Irrational, I know. Maybe I will just grab my own SIM.

Don't think I have unlocked my latest Vario II - HTC Hermes SIM CID Unlock v3a should do it?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Just go into a 3 shop, the easiest way for sure! Adding a credit card to your 3 account does take 7 days, but you'll have a tenner from the purchase, and you could also buy 'vouchers'.

re: unlock, unknown, mine has been unlocked for ages, originally done via imei-check. The one you suggest sounds like it should work tho!

P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest deadphill

Does anyone know what the best way of getting mobile data in these countries at the best rates are:

France

Belgium

Holland

GERMANY.

Germany is in bold as this is my destination as I am driving over there, and would like to use mobile data along the way, as I am going through these countries.

Either way I am hoping that the drive will rack me up millions in points with Navizon!

I am currently with T-mobile, and I also have a German O2 sim card that I can use. Just wondered if there was an easy way.

Cheers

Phill

Guest deadphill

I meant along the same sort of method as the 3 way. If that cant happen, rest assured I wont be using data unless it comes from WIFI!

However I do have a German PAYG sim from my last trip there, so I might try and use that. Only problem is setting it up. I don't speak German!!!

Is there a list of wifi hotspots for europe that might work with poi's on tom tom?

Cant wait to see how much in Navizon points I rack up though! Hopefully its loads. That would be ace!

Guest tsutton
Cant wait to see how much in Navizon points I rack up though! Hopefully its loads. That would be ace!

Unless someone else already covered the area you're going. :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

Still in catch-up mode... it's got to me a more 'user contributed' list too as people find deals (so it'll probably be on the wiki!)

P

Guest deadphill

Ha ha no worries.

Might do some research on the net and post my findings, though I do believe that wireless hotspots are probably going to be the way here.

I know that a german O2 pre pay sim in Germany which is called "loop" for some reason is EUR10 (roughly) for internet access to be enabled on that sim. I have one from my last visit there.

Any other contributions!?

NOTE:

It seems that pre-pay 'Like Home' only supports:

- Austria

- Hong Kong

- Ireland

- Italy

P

Sorry for the delayed reply to this:

3 Like Home offer is only available when you use your phone on 3 networks in Austria, Australia, Denmark,

Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy and Sweden. PAYG roaming service is available on all 3 networks except 3 Australia.

This is from page 15 of http://www.three.co.uk/customer/linkdocume...d=1089021441077