Expansys Touch Diamonds are Grey Imports

Guest wardy

Guest wardy

Very interesting discussion going on in the HTC Touch Diamond forum on Expansys. It seems the units they have are 'Grey Imports '

Look here http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=110164&page=2

It seems they have deleted the thread :D but its mentioned in other threads

Apparently you cannot add the serial number on the HTC site as they are an operators batch of units. This of course meanns that you will get no support directly from HTC in the form of updates etc.

All this and the memory seems to be low on these units as well . They are still adverised incorrectly and selling them as UK units with what seems to be the incorrect stated RAM !

Oh almost forgot .. They want £500 for this unit as well. I think buyer beware !! Expansys are stating that they are WWE units and will cover the warranty , they just are not getting the fact that they are advertised incorrectly and that the units want be supported by HTC .

Edited by wardy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xzces
Very interesting discussion going on in the HTC Touch Diamond forum on Expansys. It seems the units they have are 'Grey Imports '

Look here http://www.expansys.com/ft.aspx?k=110164&page=2

It seems they have deleted the thread :D but its mentioned in other threads

Apparently you cannot add the serial number on the HTC site as they are an operators batch of units. This of course meanns that you will get no support directly from HTC in the form of updates etc.

All this and the memory seems to be low on these units as well . They are still adverised incorrectly and selling them as UK units with what seems to be the incorrect stated RAM !

Oh almost forgot .. They want £500 for this unit as well. I think buyer beware !! Expansys are stating that they are WWE units and will cover the warranty , they just are not getting the fact that they are advertised incorrectly and that the units want be supported by HTC .

I purchased mine in the Netherlands. Pretty sure it's not a gray import and I did register it on the HTC website. But still I only have the 113 mb ram available. In the device properties it does state a total of 192mb/256mb RAM/ROM. So don't really know what they mean in those forums when they talk about ram. I do know that other devices also don't have all the ram/rom available as stated but with the diamond the differences are quite large imho.

Guest jimbouk

The expansys ones are apparently Hong Kong stock and thus are "wwe" not "UKE"

Handtec and devicewire seem to be the first true UK importers.

Guest xzces

Is there really a big difference between the WWE and so called HKE? If they both have an english wm with english t9 you're all set. Don't think there will be that much of a difference between ram/rom configs on those 2 as I can confirm my dutch diamond has about the same amount of RAM available as the HK version. It also seems strange that people can't register their devices on the htc site. Thought the registration option on the site was worldwide.

Guest deadphill

Didn't expansys get in trouble for selling grey imports before? I think I read something over at coolsmartphone about it.

Edited by deadphill

Guest mjt2810
Didn't expansys get in trouble for selling grey imports before? I think I read something over at coolsmartphone about it.

I raised this with Roger Butterworth, CEO eXpansys, and discussed the issue over the phone. He has promised (and I have it on an email!) to put any ROM updates on the Expansys website as and when they materialise. Will hold him to that ... I have his email and mobile ready just in case he doesn't hold up his end.

M.

Guest mjt2810
A UK / Euro targeted ROM update won't flash on a HK device will it?

P

Paul, I have absolutely no idea! I'm a mere novice to all this flashing business :D

All I know is, that I am a tad unhappy at the performance and bugs with the WWE edition that I have. A few of the tweaks work, and some have no effect at all. If someone could walk me through a ROM flash I'd give it a go, but it scares me a bit that I may brick my device!

Over at XDA they have a version of the European ROM but I think I'll wait and see what happens with the UK device ROM's. See if there are any improvements.

M.