69 replies to this topic

pietroons

pietroons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:HTC S710
Hi,
Is there a way to install TomTom v7 to HTC 710s?
When I try to install it, I receive the error message: it's not compatible with my device.
Any solution?
Thank you.

mintfresh

mintfresh

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Thanks for the reply.

Stupid me forgot to turn on email notification, so I missed the advice and ploughed ahead anyway.

I'd assumed the "v6" maps (v6 in quotes, because I have TomTom Navigator 6.010, so had assumed the maps were v6) would work, but they didn't.

I got the option to download a city map, but had to fork out another £50 for v7 Western Europe maps (either that or Eastern, and no other choice), currently downloading (850MB... yawn!).

I also didn't uninstall v6, which I think is sitting on the device storage, rather than internal. I'll manually delete that later.

Oh well, at least I've got up-to-date maps and a tweaked UI :D

cann you let us know how you get on with the v7 maps? Was planning on getting them but wasnt 100% sure they would work.

spacerace

spacerace

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Devices:iphone
  • Twitter:@robgordon

Hi,
Is there a way to install TomTom v7 to HTC 710s?
When I try to install it, I receive the error message: it's not compatible with my device.
Any solution?
Thank you.

I don't think the TomTom7 version floating around the moment is smartphone compatible?

James

James

AKA 'jlowap' MoDaCo Old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,545 posts
  • Interests:3D Mech Design, Music, DJing and drinking ;)
  • Devices:Desire HD & iPhon

Thanks for the reply.

Stupid me forgot to turn on email notification, so I missed the advice and ploughed ahead anyway.

I'd assumed the "v6" maps (v6 in quotes, because I have TomTom Navigator 6.010, so had assumed the maps were v6) would work, but they didn't.

I got the option to download a city map, but had to fork out another £50 for v7 Western Europe maps (either that or Eastern, and no other choice), currently downloading (850MB... yawn!).

I also didn't uninstall v6, which I think is sitting on the device storage, rather than internal. I'll manually delete that later.

Oh well, at least I've got up-to-date maps and a tweaked UI :D

Yeah! The latest maps are good! and £50 is prety cheap :D

James Lovell

SSR

SSR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond

cann you let us know how you get on with the v7 maps? Was planning on getting them but wasnt 100% sure they would work.

It all appears to be fine. I'm in an area which has had 2000 houses built in the last few years, and it doesn't have my road unfortunately, but c'est la vie.

I made the mistake of deleting the old TT6 install from the device, and the UK map directory, and for some reason that really upset TT Home 2.X. It kept wanting to check the directories, even though they didn't relate to TT7. Perhaps the dregs of the old install? So I'd recommend leaving it alone if you can afford the space. Perhaps once installed they can be deleted/uninstalled?

If you already have a TomTom account, and you buy the maps under that, you need to make sure you change the device code to the new device, which is somewhere within the account settings. Otherwise TomTom Home will say there is no map to download, even though it is sitting in your account - clearly it validates the device code in your account with that being installed to.

Those are probably the only two mistakes/tips for when things went awry.

I think £50 is very steep, when I bought TT6 for £80. A map upgrade should really only be something like 10-20% of the cost, or at least done on a subscription basis where you get all updates for a year. TomTom need to think ahead on this, as they will upset customers and push them elsewhere.

Edited by SSR, 25 July 2008 - 03:59 PM.

T39andcounting

T39andcounting

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy Nexus on Orange
  • Twitter:@thegovier

I think £50 is very steep, when I bought TT6 for £80. A map upgrade should really only be something like 10-20% of the cost, or at least done on a subscription basis where you get all updates for a year. TomTom need to think ahead on this, as they will upset customers and push them elsewhere.

I agree. I don't mind paying up front for a physical device, or the initial program, but I can't see how they can justify a new map for much more than it would cost to go buy the atlas ~£15.

SSR

SSR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Basically the only reason I paid is because I had to, to get it working.

TomTom need to stop being greedy, and go for a cheap subscription update system. £10 a year is still a touch expensive: who would have updated their road atlas every year for this? Not many people I suspect.

T39andcounting

T39andcounting

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Basically the only reason I paid is because I had to, to get it working.

What were you using before, and what was the problem with it?

SSR

SSR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
TT6 Navigator.

Technically I didn't need to upgrade, but was told by TomTom Support that TT6 isn't supported on the Diamond.

I was also hopeful that the new local roads would be in the map as well.

T39andcounting

T39andcounting

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

TT6 Navigator.

Technically I didn't need to upgrade, but was told by TomTom Support that TT6 isn't supported on the Diamond.

I was also hopeful that the new local roads would be in the map as well.

They told me the same, but activated my maps on the new device anyway, and it's working ok so far. Would be good to get updated maps though. Does TT7 support the shared corrections and regular updates, or is it static like TT6?

Stu Kirk

Stu Kirk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:E650

TT7 runs smooth on my diamond but its always 3 secs behaind my real location.
Is it just me ggeting this?

i have excellent satalite signal (9 satalites all strong readings) think eaither the gps is slow at passing on the data or the software is lagging trying to produce a VGA image!

I have exactly the same problem on my diamond with TTN7

I seem to negotiate roundabouts before the correct turning shows up on the map.

My wife tells me it's because I'm driving too fast!

Does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know if there are any settings that refreshes the GPS at a higher rate?

LeiChat

LeiChat

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond (o2 MiniS->Ebay)
I haven't noticed this issue, but perhaps I just don't drive as fast as the rest of you when I don't know where I'm going.

16/08/2008 EDIT: Ok, that's shocking, mine was doing it yesterday, missed two turnings due to the delay.
If it's any help I'd turned on the data connection on my phone, previously had it disabled, so perhaps it was Opera as per this thread.
That's the only thing I can think that's changed.

Edited by LeiChat, 16 August 2008 - 09:44 AM.

Posted Image

rayhui988

rayhui988

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone help me how to install TomTom 7v map into HTC Diamond, as you aware the main memory is only 65MB, it can only manage to installed the TomTom 7 programe into the main, and the UK map can only store into the internal storage, but when i turn on tomtom 7, the phone cannot detect the 7v map.
PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Edited by rayhui988, 15 August 2008 - 09:10 PM.

M_Taylor40

M_Taylor40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:Vario 3
Hey guys,
Just a quick question, does TomTom7 work for you when you search by postcode? If I begin to type in a postcode, say for example DH1 5GB (It's a retail park where I used to work lol), it will only recognise the DH1 part, so I cannot search by postcode! It just lists DH1, DH2, DH3, DH4, etc.
I know that I can press on DH1 and then go through and find the street but isnt that just makin postcode search completely pointless?! I'm sure on TomTom 6 I could search by the whole postcode!
I'm just using the trial with 1 free map at the minute as I wanna make sure it works perfectly before spending any money! I'm running version 7.450 as well incase there's a newer version.
Thanks alot,
M_Taylor40

Edited by M_Taylor40, 16 August 2008 - 06:40 PM.

newtonmj

newtonmj

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Diamond

Just a quick question, does TomTom7 work for you when you search by postcode? If I begin to type in a postcode, say for example DH1 5GB (It's a retail park where I used to work lol), it will only recognise the DH1 part, so I cannot search by postcode! It just lists DH1, DH2, DH3, DH4, etc.

It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom (i.e. Device or Internal Storage... in fact it might be found in either regardless)

You will (should) then be able to search with full postcodes.

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj, 16 August 2008 - 06:44 PM.

HTC Touch Diamond
ROM 1.93.405.1 WWE (Orange)
Radio 1.00.25.05

SSR

SSR

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Would be good to get updated maps though. Does TT7 support the shared corrections and regular updates, or is it static like TT6?

It appears to, but in Home you can't synchronise. I'm not sure whether updates made on the device get sent to TomTom, but you can't update the device the other way which is a shame. Although the updates aren't worth that much, and basically are used by TomTom to sell you better maps later.

Does anyone else have this problem? or does anyone know if there are any settings that refreshes the GPS at a higher rate?

I had this problem with TomTom on the TyTN. It doesn't really bother me that much.

Can anyone help me how to install TomTom 7v map into HTC Diamond, as you aware the main memory is only 65MB, it can only manage to installed the TomTom 7 programe into the main, and the UK map can only store into the internal storage, but when i turn on tomtom 7, the phone cannot detect the 7v map.
PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP!!

Where did you get the map from?

LeiChat

LeiChat

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond (o2 MiniS->Ebay)

It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom

Nice one Matt, I was going to have a rant about this.
I've purchased the Western Europe maps and was struggling with the postcode thing the other day.
The download is a zip file that contains a folder called "zip" containing four files, 2 for GB, 2 for Netherlands.
I can confirm, having copied to my device that it does resolve the issue. Thanks again.

Edited by LeiChat, 16 August 2008 - 07:29 PM.

Posted Image

M_Taylor40

M_Taylor40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:Vario 3

It sounds like you are missing the 7-digit postcode file. You can download it from here - unzip the 'ZIP' folder and put that folder in the root of wherever you installed TomTom (i.e. Device or Internal Storage... in fact it might be found in either regardless)

You will (should) then be able to search with full postcodes.

Mathew

Thank you so much newtonmj!
Got this working perfectly on my fiancees Diamond!
Thanks again!
M_Taylor40

hoojii

hoojii

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Nice one Matt, I was going to have a rant about this.
I've purchased the Western Europe maps and was struggling with the postcode thing the other day.
The download is a zip file that contains a folder called "zip" containing four files, 2 for GB, 2 for Netherlands.
I can confirm, having copied to my device that it does resolve the issue. Thanks again.

I've copied the zip file to Navigator in my internal storage but it doesn't appear to work. Is there something I'm missing? I am relatively new to all this so if someone could break it down as simply as possible for me, I've tried what it says on this thread and on the TT website.

newtonmj

newtonmj

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Diamond

I've copied the zip file to Navigator in my internal storage but it doesn't appear to work.

Zip file ? You should copy the ZIP folder (with the files inside it) to the root of your Internal Storage...

Mathew

Edited by newtonmj, 17 August 2008 - 07:22 PM.

HTC Touch Diamond
ROM 1.93.405.1 WWE (Orange)
Radio 1.00.25.05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users