Camera lens cover!

Guest markdotpeters5

Guest markdotpeters5

Could someone answer this for me?

I was dissapointed with samples from the camera, but it appears the lens is actually not to blame, rather the low quality bit of plastic over the top!

See discussion here: Howard forums discussion

is this the case please? Can anyone have a look?

thanks!

M

Guest LeiChat

There was a video review on youtube that suggested the same, demonstrated how you could remove the plastic from the rear cover and remarked optimistically that a 3rd party replacement might become available.

Guest Tomchap

Easiest way to see how it makes a difference...

Take a picture with the cover on...then take the same picture with the cover off. (see my example pics for convenience)

I can def say that this makes a difference. The photo doesnt look misty anymore and looks clearer and sharper. mmm!

Lets hope something comes out to solve this without involving popping plastic lenses out, maybe a back cover with a glass rather than plastic cover for the hole?

post-3107-1214491582_thumb.jpg

post-3107-1214491606_thumb.jpg

Guest Tomchap

I couldnt believe the difference it made!

Im tempted to buy a spare back cover off ebay, and push out the plastic where the camera is.

Its very noticeable!

Guest Tomchap

Also all this time Windows Mobile owners thought they had crappy cameras and some of them prob did have, but alot of the time it was prob just the back covers of the device having rubbish plastic covering the camera hole!

Yeah go for it Paul, will be interesting to hear what they say about the matter.

Edited by Tomchap

Guest markdotpeters5

Definitely. I was condsidering a Diamond instead of a certain other mobile device when I saw the specs.

I'd consider it again if this was sorted. If anyone could take some more pics with the cover off I'd appreciate it! :D

Guest Sergeant Pluck

Hi all

First post here!

Just received my Touch Diamond today. Had a bit of a 'mare getting internet access set up, eventually all was fine (to be honest I think at the end of the day there was some kind of DNS issue at the T-mobile end; a tech from HTC spent a long time helping me out with it).

I see (too late) that some kind soul on here has created a cab that will add T-mobile to the list of operators.

But I digress: any solutions to this piece of plastic?? It really is a problem, and is very difficult to get or keep clean.

That Howard's link no worky.

Guest LeiChat

Cheers for sharing the photos Tom.

Did find it very odd seeing my forum sig on a photo of a laptop though.

Edited by LeiChat

Guest Tomchap

Yeah I was looking at the good ol Modaco forum when I took the pictures! Think im gonna take some more and upload them later on. There is a very noticable difference. Dont wanna be taking the cover off my Diamond every time I want to take a photo!!!! Thats just silly!

Guest pwhooftman2
Could someone answer this for me?

I was dissapointed with samples from the camera, but it appears the lens is actually not to blame, rather the low quality bit of plastic over the top!

See discussion here: Howard forums discussion

is this the case please? Can anyone have a look?

thanks!

M

I have an idea....., remember back in school when you prepared samples to view under a microscope? A sample was made by taking a fairly thick strip of glass (> 1mm), put whatever you wanted to see on it and then cover it with a very thin piece of glass. I would like to get my hands on such a piece of thin glass and make a replacement lens cover out of it. If i then surround it with a circular piece of styrofoam inside the cover, my camera would remain dust-free also.

update: this is what i mean: Cover Glass

Edited by pwhooftman2

Guest markdotpeters5

Does anyone like me believe that you shouldn't have to be employing 'homebrew' fixes for a top of the range £400+ handset!!!???

Paul: Have you heard anything from HTC on the matter?

Guest pwhooftman2
Does anyone like me believe that you shouldn't have to be employing 'homebrew' fixes for a top of the range £400+ handset!!!???

Paul: Have you heard anything from HTC on the matter?

I agree. Otherwise, we tweak our brains out on the software of these kinds of handsets, and liking the experience too :D I see this as tweaking in a different way.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Nice images, although when full size, the quality of the camera still isnt up to par with the likes of SonyEricsson. Even on their 3.2Megapixel one.

Guest maclondon
Nice images, although when full size, the quality of the camera still isnt up to par with the likes of SonyEricsson. Even on their 3.2Megapixel one.

agreed, its quite terrible quality - like all HTC cameras alas :D

SE and NOKIA are leading by some margin on that front

even the iPhone 2meg camera is better. - though some of it could be firmwarefixable?

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I really do have my fingers crossed that the camera on the Samsung i900 is amazing! I will be the happiest WinMo user EVER!

Guest spvdk

I have done the with/without back plate test and there is no difference whatsoever on my Diamond. I copied the monitor photo test posted here and both my pictures looks like the one without the back plate on.

I wonder if they have changed the dust cover material already, or the bad pictures are just a result of finger prints on the cover?