Photo

T-Mobile introduce HSUPA 1.4mbs Upload Speeds!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
I didn't think O2 had HSUPA?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Mark

Mark

Enthusiast

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One, LG 2X, Mozart 7
  • Twitter:@markrandall
Nor did I but their business usb dongle and pcmcia cards both describe "Up to 2mb Upload and 7.2mb Download"

When I phoned them I got passed around everywhere as nobody really knew. I was promised a call back and never got one...

tsutton

tsutton

Need answers? Use the search feature. :)

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • Devices:Galaxy S2/HD2 (Andriod)
  • Twitter:@tony_sutton
Been digging around again, and it seems that some sites lists HSUPA, other "recent" (i.e. before announcing MDA Vario III to public) reports are saying it doesn't support HSUPA.

I would imagine it has been dropped when they released it. :D

- Tony Sutton
- My Ford Focus ST170 car | My Car's Dashcam Video

humph12345

humph12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Vodafone have had it enabled since most of there sites where upgraded to HSDPA a couple of years ago.

No one has been able to use it, but it allowed companies to test new devices.

As with HSDPA, all site s are not the same, you may get the HSDPA or HSUPA indicated but it all depends on the capacity of the site and how busy it is.

Having upgraded sites recently, T-Mobile are having to go back and put in more capacity because these sites are going into data congestion already.

What really increases data is something that isn't visible to the user and that IMA grouping, this greatly increases data capacity.

T-Mobile risk becoming a victim of their own sucsess. Better data rates attract more customers, who use more data and lead to a poorer network.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts

IMA grouping

? What's this?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

humph12345

humph12345

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

? What's this?

IMA = Inverse Multiplexing of ATM.

Historically base stations are fed by 2Mbt PCM links, now these are more suited to a circuit switched environment, but as 3G is packet based, these links have limitations in a 3g world.

IMA allows you to use multiple 2Mbt links together as an ATM based single link. What this allows is for what would be a combined 6Mbt link to produce more than that, because there are control pathe on each individual link, with ATM these are not needed.

So the more links into a site, the more data is freed up by IMA.

Most T-Mobile sites are going to 3 or 4 links and some are sheduled to go to 8. No other network has sites at this level of capacity.

A site with only one 2Mbt link going in, will share that 2Mbt between 3 sectors of data and voice. The amount of data available is dependent on the amount of voice traffic (voice will alway take priororty over data, at the moment anyway). This site will show HSDPA, but will produce low data rates.

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
Thanks again for the info.
Is there any way of telling how many links are on a site?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users