Stylus stuck

Guest Hoopy

Guest Hoopy

The end of the stylus has come off on my M3100 and the stylus is now stuck inside the phone. I rang OrangeCare (care? Yeah right) who told me they do not repair, but only replace phones and as the phone is in usable condition (I suggested it wasn't as the stylus is not working) they will not touch it.

Any ideas how to get the stylus out without breaking warranty/t & c?

Guest Mysterious Stranger
The end of the stylus has come off on my M3100 and the stylus is now stuck inside the phone. I rang OrangeCare (care? Yeah right) who told me they do not repair, but only replace phones and as the phone is in usable condition (I suggested it wasn't as the stylus is not working) they will not touch it.

Any ideas how to get the stylus out without breaking warranty/t & c?

I've done this and removed the old shaft with needle nosed pliers. Push the remaining stubb of plastic into the stylus shaft, then open the jaws in the hole it creates in the shaft and gently ease out pressing the jaws to the sides.

M.S

Guest Paul (MVP)

Orange muppets, what a weak argument! It clearly should be replaced since part of it - the stylus - is unusable!

P

Guest Hoopy
Orange muppets, what a weak argument! It clearly should be replaced since part of it - the stylus - is unusable!

P

I'm challenging them on it as the insurance T&C say:

"Phone means A mobile telephone or device approved by Orange for connection to its network consisting of a handset standard battery travel charger SIM card and other equipment purchased by You as part of a standard package and agreed by the Insurer."

Since the stylus is part of the standard package, it means that the fault should be repaired by them.

Since the stylus is part of the standard package, it means that the fault should be repaired by them.

Is it really worth it? You can get it out yourself and buy a new stylus ( genuine voda V1605 ones on fleabay are a couple of quid) for a lot less than their £15 orangecare administration charge...

M.S

Guest Hoopy
I've done this and removed the old shaft with needle nosed pliers. Push the remaining stubb of plastic into the stylus shaft, then open the jaws in the hole it creates in the shaft and gently ease out pressing the jaws to the sides.

M.S

Tried that - there's a small portion of rubber left in the shaft, but not enough to get a strong enough grip to pull it out.

Tried that - there's a small portion of rubber left in the shaft, but not enough to get a strong enough grip to pull it out.

Push the plastic ( it's not rubber ) hard and it will fall away into the shaft. Or use a soldering iron and gently melt it away until there is enough metal exposed to grip onto the shaft. Oh-er.

M.S

Guest Hoopy
Push the plastic ( it's not rubber ) hard and it will fall away into the shaft. Or use a soldering iron and gently melt it away until there is enough metal exposed to grip onto the shaft. Oh-er.

M.S

Or go to the nearest Orange repair centre, explain the problem, hear them say ring Orangecare, call Orangecare suitably annoyed (again), and get a new handset delivered to your home the next day.

Or go to the nearest Orange repair centre, explain the problem, hear them say ring Orangecare, call Orangecare suitably annoyed (again), and get a new handset delivered to your home the next day.

Hope you backed it up / saved your texts / pics / contacts etc.... and heaven help you if you've activated tomtom more than once in the last 6 months!

Personally for such a simple issue easily fixed I wouldn't have bothered with orange care. Next time you ring them with a real issue they'll charge you the £15 even if they didn't this time...

M.S

Guest Hoopy
Hope you backed it up / saved your texts / pics / contacts etc.... and heaven help you if you've activated tomtom more than once in the last 6 months!

Of course! And I don't use TomTom - no need for it.