Facebook on your mobile just got app'ed!

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill

thumb_07-Jul-2008_friendmobilizer_menu.jpg

thumb_07-Jul-2008_pc_capture1.png

Yes folks, there is now an entire application dedicated to the running of your Facebook account!

If you're like me and have to go via the mobile web to access your Facebook when at work, then you'll be pleased to hear that there is an application for your Windows powered smartphone/PDA device to help you with day to day running of your Facebook account, which apparently is more than just updating your profile picture!

Check out... Face of Mobile

Oh, just one problem, its only available for those in the US. :D

Bad times!

But, fear not fellow UK members and other citizens of the world, as mid-way through writing this article, I came across another (yes another, and I have a feeling it wont be the last!) Windows Mobile version Facebook application. Introducing Snap2Face. :(

Version 0.8 of their beta has been released today, so I have gone ahead and downloaded the app, and will report on my findings later. You can do the same by visiting the Link: Snap2Face download page..

Good times!

I am going to install Snap2Face later today and see if I can get hold of a cab file from some nice fellow across the pond at a later date and compare the two.

If your in the US, do you use Friendmobilizer? And for anyone, else have you installed Snap2Face? Let us know your thoughts... Ill be posting mine later.

Cheers,

Phill

Guest deadphill

Lol does it do that? Not been poked yet.

Must get my missus to install this, then I can poke her wherever she is!!! :D

Guest WearTheFoxHat

ROFL that made me laugh!

I think from my perspective, I get a bit edgy about third party applications that act as go-betweens. I don't like to use email forwarding (push) services that will link your phone to your mailbox. Likewise, I don't like the idea of a third party, who I am not familiar with writing an application that links me into a social networking site.

I guess I'm too worried about trojan's, or even a rogue developer that could easily intercept login strings and have access to your life.

Guest deadphill

Ive not got anything I am worried about.

My secret plans to world domination, and financial details are not on there, nor is there enough for them to find them out either.

And if they are at least I am covered for the financial side. As for world domination..........

Cheers

Phill

Guest l3v5y

Damnit!

If I could be bothered to read the SDK docs, I'd be making something like this... I got as far as logging in and showing the current status, but then got bored... :S

Anyway, at least there is an alternative! :D

Guest l3v5y
Opera Mobile 9.5 kinda mashes that up though unfortunately!
That's because it doesn't downsize to fewer pixels... Might work on VGA (Diamond anyone?)... But, it does scale up to work on my PC...

Guest deadphill

Well has anyone been using this yet?

My first day and a half have not been great at all. However I think we have to bear in mind that this at the moment is only a beta.

Things that impressed me:

1. It gives you the option to go through your phonebook and add the current profile pictures of your friends and add them. I thought this was a nice touch! Only problem with that is that you get contacts that turn into cartoons! Still if you are up to date with looking at facebook online via a pc then you should know who is who!
  2. Ability to get notifications when something happens. It comes through like a text message. However this is from screenshots I have seen as I have disabled most notifications, as my inbox was ridiculously full.
  3. The icons along the bottom help really well with doing the day to day stuff you would normally do on facebook.
Things that have not impressed me:
  1. Basically the whole fundamental thing anyone ever does on facebook and that is check out the photos and entries made on their friends profiles. I am lucky (or unlucky) enough to have over 200 people as "friends" on facebook. Whenever I try and hit the friends tab, it basically freezes the app as it cannot handle the amount of friends I have. For those who have been on it for a while it is easy to have that many people. This has nothing to do with the connection speed either. I have used this in GPRS, 3G and HSDPA modes as well as being synced with my laptop on a decent 10mb connection.
  2. I would go on but this is quite fundamental to me being able to do just the basics and as such I cant really say much more!
I can see what they are trying to do here, and once more I have to remind myself this is a beta trial and not the finished article, but its quite a big problem I am surprised this is erroring in a beta. It makes this application virtually unusable.

Anyway from what I did find is that you can use your phone to take an instant photo and have it directly uploaded, which I did like. The albums part did work well, for the small amount of photos I have uploaded.

Using the inbox, was again painful as I had a massive total of 41 messages, and though this time scrolling through them was ok actually reading them is entirely different.

My wall actually works well. So long as it is only posts on your wall!

Poking well is poking whatever you do. However this only gave me the option to see who has poked me. So far no one!

And last but not least is friend requests. I would imagine that this is fairly standard, but as no one requested to add me as a friend, I cant really respond!

When I get a chance I will add my review of face of mobile. Thats when I get a cab for it anyway!

Cheers

Phill

Guest greenturtle

I'm going away for two weeks without my laptop (aaaaah) so I thought I'd try Snap2Face and it's great! The interface is nice and neat and although I have about 200 friends on Facebook it only downloads 23? But as long as I can keep updated with my Inbox,Wall and continue the poking war that's been going on with one of my friends for over 4 months now then I'm happy (:

Guest Monolithix
That's because it doesn't downsize to fewer pixels... Might work on VGA (Diamond anyone?)... But, it does scale up to work on my PC...

I have tried it on the Diamond, no dice :D

Guest l3v5y
I have tried it on the Diamond, no dice :D

Was worth a try...

Most of it works on my Prophet, but pictures don't!

Does landscape work any better?

Guest Monolithix

Not really, it looks like it should but then resizes the page once its rotated! Everything displays ok except for the sliding page transitions making opera flicker a lot then display the new page, and photos are scaled completely wrong.

Guest l3v5y
Not really, it looks like it should but then resizes the page once its rotated! Everything displays ok except for the sliding page transitions making opera flicker a lot then display the new page, and photos are scaled completely wrong.

Oh well...

Over the summer (yes, I know it's sort of begun...) I'm going to work on the Facebook SDK... See what I can get to work on WM!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Retronana

Just to add a note, updated to the latest Beta version (0.9), way better IMHO.

Posting on their Facebook page

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce the availability of Snap2Face release 0.9, which can be downloaded at http://www.magnifoca.com/download_snap2face.html. For existing users, you can upgrade by pointing your phone browser at http://m.magnifoca.com.

With this release, we have introduced several new features and made a number of enhancements, including:

* Friends' profile photos are much bigger than before, making the photo caller ID feature more usable

* Zoom in on friends' profile photos by clicking them

* Status message field now big enough to hold a long status description

* Show friends with recent status updates

* Sort friends by name and network

* Eliminated the sluggishness while scrolling through a long friend list

We believe these, together with a large number of bug fixes, will make Snap2Face much more enjoyable to use than before.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Retronana

Really getting used to using Snap2face, great little app, it does a great job of letting you check out other friends pictures online, it seems to now have sync all the images correctly on each friends profile too.

Not sure if it use mobile data packets or wi-fi either way its not too slow.

Great application recommended, just waiting to see when we have to start to pay for it....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.