Grab yourself a Slingbox for £59.95 from eXpansys

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
slingbox.png
My Slingbox is one of my favourite gadgets.

It hooks into my TV signal for freeview and sits inline to my Media Center and allows me to watch TV wherever I can get a reasonable data connection, be that from my Windows Mobile device, a PC or my Mac. Hotel TV = never again :(

Anyhow, I have the original Slingbox Classic (which has plenty of features), and I recently discovered that eXpansys are now offering the Slingbox for a bargain £59.95! Available on this page the Slingbox includes Windows and Mac clients for free, however the WinMo client (PPC and Smartphone versions available as well as Symbian) is an additional £20 purchase (albeit with a 30 day trial available)...

Monolithix has just got a Slingbox (and at this moment is probably watching it from the Netherlands - hi Mono!), so we'll also be chatting about 'placeshifting' tech in our next podcast.

Are you a Slingbox user? Share your experiences! :D

P

PS If you happen to have a eXpansys tenner off voucher lying around too, you're laughing!

Guest billingeuk

To be honest I've given up on Expansys when it comes to ordering things, the last few orders I've placed, they've taken ages, so much so that on the last order when the site was saying expected in 1 day, then expected in 3 days, then expected in 1 day, then expected in 4 days, I cancelled the order, and don't think I'll try them again.

Guest petec500
First 2 people to reply to this message (requesting) get a £10 discount voucher... :D

P

Sounds good to me!! Nice one!!

Guest Paul (MVP)

You mean on the inbuilt freeview? Unknown for sure, but I don't think so. If you're plugging it into Sky, it'll do whatever your Sky normally does!

P

Guest NikLP

D'oh. Brain freeze.

Isn't this going to get you into hot water with the bandwidth police pretty quickly tho? Or is it pretty frugal on that front?

Guest Paul (MVP)

Depends how often you use it I guess :D

I wouldn't say it's frugal, it'll max out whatever bandwidth you have (changing dynamically) to give you the best picture.

P

Guest Monolithix

Works fine with my Sky box :D Although i have 512kbps upload give or take. It's been working a treat, cant connect to it now though so it looks like my housemate may have unplugged it :(

Guest nickcornaglia

Slingbox is still one of my favorite gadgets though I dont use it as often as I should. I still have the original "classic" box shown above. WinMo client is great as well. As Paul says, with a good connection.

One cool use is for the fact I dont have a TV in my bedroom. I use the slingbox on my laptop for the days I dont feel like getting out of bed! :D

Guest blackhorse
Slingbox is still one of my favorite gadgets though I dont use it as often as I should. I still have the original "classic" box shown above. WinMo client is great as well. As Paul says, with a good connection.

One cool use is for the fact I dont have a TV in my bedroom. I use the slingbox on my laptop for the days I dont feel like getting out of bed! :D

Would this work streaming to a PS3??

My thinking is i have sky downstairs and crap signal upstairs but if the PS3 can stream the content it may be worth a crack!

Guest deadphill

Paul you beat me to it! I myself received this on Saturday, as I ordered it last week. I was going to post the bargain myself but I wanted to check how good it is.

The answer is really good, however one thing I am really really p'd off about is the fact it advertises the fact I can watch on my pc and my mobile, but when you receive the device, it then says you only have a trial version for PPC, and have to pay £20 to get the full version, however its free on the pc.

How come they don't charge for the software on the pc as well? Its quite shambolic I think.

Still annoyed about it and quite frankly it did spoil my experience, as otherwise it really is quite good.

I think if they are really to move onto different markets they should explore clients for stuff like the ps3, psp, xbox 360 etc. There are people who would use this. However I think that Sony did make a freeview usb tuner for the ps3 which would allow you to watch freeview remotely on your psp. Not much good however if you don't have any wifi!

Cheers

Phill

Guest rossy

If viewing this on my WM device, how much data will it use per hour say of viewing?? Assume I am connecting via 3G network..... I want to make sure it won't cost me £60 for the box (+ 20) and then a fortune in excess data charges!!!

Guest deadphill

I think it all depends on your bandwidth where you are and your available upload speed on your net connection at home.

Cheers

Phill

Guest billingeuk
These are in stock now according to the site...

P

I've ordered a number of items from expansys when the items where in stock, but still had long delays getting the items.

I'm even removing them from my favourites, once is bad luck, but it's been several times now.

BillingeUK

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.