796 replies to this topic

kingfinn

kingfinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Tower PC, MSI Wind
Hi,

i installed Kalyway and updated like ur descriptions.
Only Problem I have is that i gotta start with the DVD.

Thinkin' it didn't install the MBR?

Installed Chameleon then.

My Partition with KAlyway called "LEOPARD" is flagged as BOOT (that'S same like aktive isn'T it?)

But now if I boot it says:

boot0: MBR
boot0: DONE

that's it ... :(

What could be wrong?

Yours,
-kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn, 01 March 2009 - 07:02 PM.

the_grinch

the_grinch

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Advent 4211
One thing I noted on the install guide (and it got me first time around) was that no mention was made of the options required when initially formatting the disk. Essentially you must partition the disk using the GUID partition table rather than the default OS 9 table, this can be selected by clicking the options button in Disk Utility when creating the partition. OS X I believe will not boot on an Intel based machine without the GUID partition type.

Aside from that excellent guide as I now have my Advent running 10.5.6 will all the devices running, including being able to use headphones using the switcher script.

One question I had is that currently I'm still runnning the stock realtek wireless card, does anyone know if I install an airport compatible broadcom based card whether I will still be able to enable and disable wireless when OSX is running as I can with the current realtek drivers?

kingfinn

kingfinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

One thing I noted on the install guide (and it got me first time around) was that no mention was made of the options required when initially formatting the disk. Essentially you must partition the disk using the GUID partition table rather than the default OS 9 table, this can be selected by clicking the options button in Disk Utility when creating the partition. OS X I believe will not boot on an Intel based machine without the GUID partition type.

THANX a lot, Guy! I dont know if this was for me but booting works for me now. Had to install int once again and make Guid Partition Table.

THX :(

So for everyone have the Problem like me:

Install once again, use Disc Utility and partitionate ur Disc with "GUID PARTITION TABLE".

Yours,

kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn, 02 March 2009 - 07:03 PM.

kingfinn

kingfinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry for double-posting, but there's one thing i gotta tell:

In the Video, you (Paul) switch off the Network driver. For me this doesn't work. The Welcome Setup "reboots" when it's comming to the network installation.

Installing for the 3. Time now :( But i Have nothin' to do B)

THANX 4 the Guide, Bro!

Edit:

I have a last Question:

I have installed 10.5.4 Sucessfully now.
Can anyone tell me how to install 10.5.5/6 now?
I saw some tutorials but none for u100 wind and all very complicated.
Would be great if someone could tell me :P

Yours,

kingfinn

Edited by kingfinn, 02 March 2009 - 07:59 PM.

bigjohnscots

bigjohnscots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:advent 4211
Firstly thanks to Paul for the osx guide.

I should be getting my advent 4211 tomorrow and was wondering about doing the osx install before i get the alternative wifi card.Am i right in thinking that the install will be fine (except wireless) until i get the dell wifi card then after i install the dell card will leopard find the new hardware and setup the driver itself.

Glad to see the headphone problem also solved as i have a train journey to Paris soon and this little machine will be an excellent companion.

bigjohnscots

bigjohnscots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
double post.

Edited by bigjohnscots, 03 March 2009 - 01:43 PM.

joelw135

joelw135

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:iMac 24" 3.06

double post.

You don't have to replace the WiFi card if it is Ralink which it will say on the bottom of the unit. There are drivers for it. Yes to use the Native Apple drivers you must change the card. I have an MSI U100-432US which is running fine using the original card, but I just ordered a Dell 1510 so I could use the native drivers. You just have to make sure the bluetooth and the wifi are turned on prior to install of the operating system.

bigjohnscots

bigjohnscots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Firstly thanks to Paul for the osx guide.

I should be getting my advent 4211 tomorrow and was wondering about doing the osx install before i get the alternative wifi card.Am i right in thinking that the install will be fine (except wireless) until i get the dell wifi card then after i install the dell card will leopard find the new hardware and setup the driver itself.

Glad to see the headphone problem also solved as i have a train journey to Paris soon and this little machine will be an excellent companion.

the_grinch

the_grinch

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have a last Question:

I have installed 10.5.4 Sucessfully now.
Can anyone tell me how to install 10.5.5/6 now?
I saw some tutorials but none for u100 wind and all very complicated.
Would be great if someone could tell me :(

Yours,

kingfinn

Kingfinn try the instructions posted here to update to 10.5.6, it worked fine for me (though you will need to re-register the kexts for GFX resolution to get back to 1024x600)

http://forums.msiwin...rent-t6543.html

Sibbens

Sibbens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:MSI Wind U100
Hi all,

This is my first post at the forum and as this fact implies; I am a bit of a novice regarding hackintosh'es etc. This said, I am not too new on computers so hopefully I will be able to follow the guide and create the netbook of my dreams :(

I am the happy owner of a MSI Wind U100 and the unhappy owner of Windows XP... The guide made by Paul is very thorough and the many posts on this thread (and many hours of reading) has encouraged me to try to install OS X on my Wind. As I am new to this non-conventional use of PC's (if that expression covers it) I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer before I throw myself into the deep water. I know that many of the subjects has been touched earlier in the thread, but I haven't found a spot on answer to the following questions.

In the guide Paul says that one should burn "Kalyway 10.5.2" onto a CD and then the "Kalyway 10.5.3 upgrader" for later use after installing OS X from the "Kalyway 10.5.2"-CD. I have on the internet seen both Kalyway 10.5.4 and 10.5.5. My question is, whether I should use these newer editions of Kalyway or if I should stick to the ones mentioned in the guide? (as you might realise, I have only little idea about the actual differences between the editions...)

My second question
regards the replacement of the original WiFi card in the MSI Wind.
I know little regarding replacing hardware in a laptop why I would love be more certain regarding which WiFi card to buy. From Paul's guide the card could be a "Dell 1490 Broadcom based card". Other places in the threat I have seen mentioned that a 1390 card works as well - and that this version even might be a work-around the problem with the "stand-off" that messes with the 1490 WiFi card.
My questions is which card I should buy and if I can buy cards from other manufaturers than Dell? I am not sure what the "1390" and "1490" means nor what the "broadcom based" means?

I hope the above is understandable and that you will take a few minutes to answer my questions although they are somewhat rookie-like... I know!

I love computers and I would love to be able to create an OS X running netbook.

Kind Regards,

Sib

the_grinch

the_grinch

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sibbens

I believe it would be fine to install from the latest version of Kalyway you can find.

Regarding the wi-fi card to be honest despite me buying a Broadcom based dell card as per Paul's guide i haven't ended up installing it. I find the standard Realtek card on the Wind runs fine with the available drivers and also allows you to turn it off using the keyboard shortcut to save battery and OSX will see it again when you re-enable it without having to reboot which I'mnot sure you can do with the other solutions.

Anyway good luck!

Sibbens

Sibbens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:MSI Wind U100

Sibbens

I believe it would be fine to install from the latest version of Kalyway you can find.

Regarding the wi-fi card to be honest despite me buying a Broadcom based dell card as per Paul's guide i haven't ended up installing it. I find the standard Realtek card on the Wind runs fine with the available drivers and also allows you to turn it off using the keyboard shortcut to save battery and OSX will see it again when you re-enable it without having to reboot which I'mnot sure you can do with the other solutions.

Anyway good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Did you download any particular drivers to get the WiFi card to work or is this something that OS X does automatically? (or does it run smoothly for you without doing anything but following the guide..?)

wizgnome

wizgnome

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SII
  • Twitter:@wizgnome
I found another application to perform the headphone switching Audieee4Wind mentioned in http://forums.msiwin...ieee-t5242.html

This puts a little icon in the menu bar to select Headphones or Speaker. It retains the settings after a sleep which the switcher script did not.

Mike

wjwall452

wjwall452

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:msi wind netbook
Paul i have msi u100 with xp and osx the xp works find but i cant get on lne with osx on the apple side it says i have wifi and that im connected but when i try to connect safari it says server cant be found also i have the realtek wireless card any ideas desperate! bw

Dikcov

Dikcov

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:PC desktop, Laptop, Wind
Looks great, but I want to dual boot. Wind is due tomorrow, I bought DVD read /write, extra memory ( I think I did wrong. I bought 1 GB since it had 1, think I need install new 2 GB) and just bought Mac OS X .
If I backup all to a removable HD, create 2 partitions, Install Mac to its partitiopn as Paul so well describes, will I be able to load the origional system from the HD and hope To get it to work?
It will be a great surprise that I have more guts than experience!

marc_h_uk

marc_h_uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Advent 4211, 2GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Hey There,

I was wondering if anyone can help me... I am getting a little confused as to what I need to do, I have my Advent 4211 with the extra 1GB of RAM and the new wifi card......

A few questions..

The techguys recovery medium I was asked to make on the first boot of my system, if i cock up the OS X install can i simply reconnect the USB stick and restore the factory settings?

2nd thing - Can I use the Leopard Install DVD's that came with my Mac?

3rd thing - is there a way of doing this without purchasing an external DVD drive? Is it possible from a USB Stick?

4th - has anyone tried running Logic Pro on one of these systems yet?

5th - Whats the deal that people say about no headphone jack working? I would prefer being able to use the headphone jack as an audio out to plug into a stereo...

Thanks in advance

And also to Paul the creator of this amazing page B)

Cheers

Marc

RightSydeBlincker

RightSydeBlincker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Msi Wind U100

A video of the install is below, enjoy! Unfortunately i've noticed that the somehow the end of the 10.5.3 patch install (doing the kernel install and the 'update -v') has gone AWOL, but i'll try and find this bit and chop it in.

:excl:

P

HI paul,
I install os x 10.5.2 on my msi wind u100 and the install process finished with out a problem. when i rebooted it for the first time and the welcome screen appeared nothing was wrong until i got to the screen where it asks "do you already own a mac?" when i select do not transfer my info now, it just sits there for a few seconds and then the screen goes black with the loading mouse on the screen. after about 10 to 20 seconds it starts back at the beginning of the "welcome" screen. the only thing that is different from my msi wind and your video is that i haven't changed my wireless card. i'm gonna try to reinstall os x to see if that will fix the problem. have you seen this problem before? if you have, how do i fix it?

coryshubert

coryshubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:MSI Wind U100-432US
[quote name='Paul (MVP)' date='Jul 14 2008, 03:20' post='902176']
Last update: 14/07/08 - video and images online!

What you need to install OSX on your Wind

Here's a list of what you MUST have to install OSX on your Wind...[quote]

Paul,

Thanks for this great resource. I sat down with my MSI Wind U100-432US already to go, but can't seem to even get out of the gate...

First, I swapped a guy for this and he had installed some stuff, XP things, and so it is not a brand new MSI, so I don't know if that is the issue with this.

When I start with my USB external DVD player hooked up and the Kelaway 10.5.2 DVD inside and hit F11, I get to the screen that allows me to select the boot device. I can hear the DVD drive start to spin up and then I see in the choices and my DVD player is _NEC DVD+RW ND-6650A102C. I key down to higlight it, then hit enter, the the drive start to spin, but then the F3 key prompt comes up and it goes right into the Windows XP startup screen and right on into the old startup.

What might be causing this? What are some reasons the DVD drive wont' do the install?

I soooo wanted to get this done tonight, but now it looks like I have more learning to do... damn.

Thanks,

Cory

coryshubert

coryshubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:MSI Wind U100-432US

... higlight it, then hit enter, the the drive start to spin, but then the F3 key prompt comes up and it goes right into the Windows XP startup screen and right on into the old startup.

What might be causing this? What are some reasons the DVD drive wont' do the install?

Cory

One thing I was thinking is that maybe the Kalaway DVD didn't burn correctly or something? What I downloaded was a file that had three things in it:

1. ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD folder
2. Kalawy DVD ReadMe.rft
3. Kalaway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso

The size of the ISO disk image shows as 3.61gb. The ReadMe.rft won't open on my Mac, but I just wanted to make sure that at least the DVD stuff that I put on it is correct?

Thanks,

Cory

Menneisyys

Menneisyys

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Devices:a lot
BTW, I've also written a step-by-step guide for IBM Thinkpad t4x (more precisely, t42p) users:

http://www.iphonelif...m-thinkpad-t42p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users